“Opinions - cheating or legit?”

• Fair - keep playing 18 votes
    67%
  • Unfair - pause game and remove balls 5 votes
    19%
  • Depends on the game. (Woz no. AF, AFM, SM okay) 4 votes
    15%

(Multiple choice - 27 votes)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RTS.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

Had a game on Woz while during multiball the Winkie drop popped up trapping two balls behind it, both leaning on the backside of the drop target, unable to roll into the VUK.

At first it seemed legit since the game was performing all functions correctly, and the opportunity for this to happen is available to every player similar to dirty pool that occurs by design on AFM, SM, and AF.

I did eventually bump the target, creating a newton ball rebound to move the top ball into the vuk, while the other remained behind the target. Eventually I hit the target again, rebounding the remaining ball into the VUK, and everything was back to normal.

I recall a game on IM when the monger wedged ball beneath it while it was lowering during mb, and this was clearly an unfair beneficial malfunction.

I've also been told it's a legit move if you are quick enough to trap a weak shot with a diverter on a ramp in Shadow during mb.

Other games like TSPP are clearly designed so a ball can never get trapped behind the targets

Balls getting trapped behind a retractable target - what's the consensus opinion?

Fair, cheating, or depends on the game?

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

The ruling in this situation is based on whether the game has software written into it to specifically address the mode or situation.”

This makes total sense. Does the same rule apply to trapping a ball with a diverter on Shadow?

It's clearly a skill move for a player to catch a ball on a ramp with a diverter, but there is no specific code written into the game to support the maneuver.

Consistent to the stated PAPA tournament rules, a "diverter catch" should also not be allowed, although such a move would clearly demonstrate one's skill and reward the player.

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

I agree with davjoszie - The Shadow diverter catch is tournament legal.
Same document, four paragraphs above my earlier quote, “ In situations where a ball is trapped in a way that it can be released through player action other than shaking or bumping – for example, a ball at rest underneath a flipper or any other mechanism which the player controls – this is not deemed to be a stuck ball. Balls trapped in this fashion during multiball modes are not generally considered to be a rules violation, although the ruling will depend on the exact machine and situation.”
Of course if you’re playing at home or not using PAPA or IFPA rules you can do whatever you like. My advice is be consistent. If you’re having tournaments, experienced players will appreciate having any deviations from the “official” rules noted somewhere accessible to all players. A post-it note on the game is helpful.

Good info. Makes sense.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 91.00
13,000 (OBO)
$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

$ 16.95
$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 5.00

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RTS.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/opinions-cheating-or-legit?tu=RTS and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.