(Topic ID: 239305)

Opinion: Which non-licensed theme should Stern do next?

By marcand

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 42 posts
  • 35 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by bobukcat
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

2019-03-26 22_44_13-Internet Pinball Machine Database_ Bally 'Skateball' Images - Internet Explorer (resized).png
    A1CA4563-C2C3-4179-991E-8A15B9FDDC43 (resized).jpeg
    0F39F0E1-C6A2-48F0-A939-35E58EC3FE23 (resized).jpeg

#1 1 year ago

In honor of the new Stern Black Knight, which old theme would you bring back?

Difficulty: NO LICENSED THEMES (movies, monster properties, cars, etc...)

Here are my ideas:

Son of Pinbot
    Return to the Funhouse
    The Ultimate CarnEVIL (Cyclone, Comet, Hurricane sequel)
    The Party Time Machine (ft. Dr. Dude)

Post your ideas, comment on the ones you like, and I will make a poll in another thread!

#2 1 year ago

The entire point of a non-licensed theme is to have creative freedom, all you're asking for is more rehashing of safe and familiar things.

So my vote is none of them. Has pinball really gotten so dull that we can't possibly consume it without having the theme pre-chewed for us? Let's at least be better in our aspirations.

Black Knight looks great, good familiar territory, not mad. But I'd be sad if recycling the 90s was the only path forward beyond bands and movies and comic books and TV shows.

The theme I want is the one I didn't know I even wanted, because it didn't exist until it was unveiled, ready to bring me into a new world. Last new game I bought was TNA, if I bother buying new again it's going to be something actually new, not something nostalgic. I realize I'm probably too close to alone in that to be catered to, bring on the licenses and remakes. But I'll keep my wallet closed for them.

#3 1 year ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

The entire point of a non-licensed theme is to have creative freedom, all you're asking for is more rehashing of safe and familiar things.
    So my vote is none of them. Has pinball really gotten so dull that we can't possibly consume it without having the theme pre-chewed for us? Let's at least be better in our aspirations.
    Black Knight looks great, good familiar territory, not mad. But I'd be sad if recycling the 90s was the only path forward beyond bands and movies and comic books and TV shows.
    The theme I want is the one I didn't know I even wanted, because it didn't exist until it was unveiled, ready to bring me into a new world. Last new game I bought was TNA, if I bother buying new again it's going to be something actually new, not something nostalgic. I realize I'm probably too close to alone in that to be catered to, bring on the licenses and remakes. But I'll keep my wallet closed for them.

I just think it's the world we live in. I get wanting to be idealistic,.for sure...but it is probably a fantasy.

I am trying to think of what existing 80s game would excite me with a modern version?

Gorgar 2!

#4 1 year ago

Trident 2: Release the Kraken!

#5 1 year ago

A modern Centaur would be killer.

#6 1 year ago

Martians Vs. Medievals

#7 1 year ago

Bob' s backyard barbecue

#9 1 year ago

Pinbot man!!! PINBOT!!!!

#10 1 year ago

Or taxi.

Uber!

#11 1 year ago

A new version of Haunted House...or Haunted Amusement park...

#12 1 year ago

A really dark version of funhouse....Rudy meets it.
    Steve Ritchie voices Rudy.....satanic Rudy.

#13 1 year ago

A new western/gunfighter pin would be nice.

#14 1 year ago

Just like the movies. No one can come up with an original theme anymore. Take a step outside the box and create something new.

#15 1 year ago

It wouldn't be for everyone, but I like trains. Something like a Railroad Tycoon that I used to play (and maybe still do ) on the computer.

Steam to diesel to electric. . . I'm sure there is a way some progression could be made.

#16 1 year ago

1990 = Whirlwind 2020 = SUPERCANE

#17 1 year ago

I think a war theme would be cool, cover all of the major wars from the revolution through Viet Nam. A ton of modes to try and win all of the major battles and skirmishes. Would be deeeep code with different sections of the Playfield themed to each era. Maybe a bit much...

#18 1 year ago

I love TNA, but I’d like a fully-decked ramp/toy pin with an electric plant theme, featuring power boxes, transformers, turbines, substations and wires. Every time I pass by a power plant and see the electrical components, it looks simultaneously fascinating and ominous. I feel the same about those large turbines seen in dams. Some examples of what I mean:

0F39F0E1-C6A2-48F0-A939-35E58EC3FE23 (resized).jpeg

A1CA4563-C2C3-4179-991E-8A15B9FDDC43 (resized).jpeg

#20 1 year ago

Please not another Pinbot or Hurricane (roller-coaster) follow-up, the last three of all of those are pretty un-inspiring IMO.

#21 1 year ago

Tesla

#22 1 year ago

Funhouse 2.0 would be amazing. Make this one more creepy.

But truly original theme? Just anything with lots of action, thumping soundtrack, splash of humor and ridicule, and that would be awesome.

#23 1 year ago

Skateboarding

#25 1 year ago

The Ramones.
    Wait, that would be a license.
    Still, any chance/intrusion to plug The Ramones will be taken.
    Terry.

#26 1 year ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Funhouse 2.0 would be amazing. Make this one more creepy.
    But truly original theme? Just anything with lots of action, thumping soundtrack, splash of humor and ridicule, and that would be awesome.

Sounds like Whitehouse 2019.

#27 1 year ago
    Quoted from PW79:

Skateboarding

So an updated version?
    2019-03-26 22_44_13-Internet Pinball Machine Database_ Bally 'Skateball' Images - Internet Explorer (resized).png

#28 1 year ago

I feel like any mythological god pin would be awesome. Greek gods, or even mythological stories. The odyssey would be great (scylla and cherybdis toy would be amazing), or the iliad (fall of troy).

#30 1 year ago

Paragon 2 The Beast is Back!

#31 1 year ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

How bout rock climbing?

I just watched on nat geo some eerily creepy white dude with soulless black eyes climb up a mountain with no ropes and didn’t give a shit if he fell while his girlfriend was a crying mess...

So the game would have an ascending climber over the shooter lane similar to corvette, but over a mountain sculpt.

All correctly hit shots climb you higher, misses make you slip, and missing timed hurry up shots have you fall to your death.

Camera in backbox places your photo on headlines and Time magazine if you conquer...or an obit if you fail

Too grim?

#32 1 year ago

stripper bar!

#33 1 year ago

The Roman Empire

#34 1 year ago

They could look at some of the FX3 originals for some ideas. There's some excellent games there...

#35 1 year ago

Technically speaking-isn't Stern's new game Black Knight a licensed game?

#36 1 year ago
    Quoted from jester523:

I feel like any mythological god pin would be awesome. Greek gods, or even mythological stories. The odyssey would be great (scylla and cherybdis toy would be amazing), or the iliad (fall of troy).

Riot Pinball created Wrath Of Olympus a few years ago.

#37 1 year ago

Steve Ritchie's next two Stern Titles:

High Speed 3000
    F-15.

#38 1 year ago
    Quoted from pmWolf:

High Speed 3000
    F-15.

Wasn’t it announced this is his last game?

#39 1 year ago

I'd like to see an original 80's Cop theme done in the spirit of either Miami Vice or GTA-Vice City featuring all 80's licensed music tracks. Or an 80's Stunt driver/crime themed pin in the same vein as movies "Drive" or "Baby Driver".
    You could get Kavinsky to do some of the game music:

#40 1 year ago
    Quoted from pmWolf:

High Speed 3000
    F-15.

HS 3.0
    F-22

#41 1 year ago

F-35 would be more fitting for Stern.

More expensive and less capable.

#42 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pinbaltz:

F-35 would be more fitting for Stern.
    More expensive and less capable.

But you wouldn't be able to find it in a bar, wait that's almost all pinball machines!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 24.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 95.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 85.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    G-Money Mods
    $ 11.95
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 160.00
    Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
    Lit Frames
    $ 6.00
    Electronics
    German-Pinball-Modular
    $ 19.00
    Boards
    Tilted Pinball
    $ 66.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    £ 20.00
    $ 7,399.00
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 39.95
    Playfield - Other
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 18.95
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside