Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by LeMansFan
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Shaker motor? Yay or Nay??”

• Yay 51 votes
      67%
    • Nay 12 votes
      16%
    • Doesn’t matter either way 13 votes
      17%

(76 votes)

#1 2 years ago

I am considering adding a shaker motor to my TMNT. I’ve played a bunch of tables lately that had shakers and I thought it was a pretty cool addition.

Two fold question for everyone….

1.) Opinions on shaker motors….yay or nay?

2.) Anyone with a Spike 2 TMNT…does the shaker add to the experience in this title?

#2 2 years ago

That's a YAY.
    for sure.

Also, name a recent game that isn't better with a shaker.....

#3 2 years ago

I am a nay.

Don't feel I am missing out and rather not add more vibration to the electronics.

**You should add a poll**

#4 2 years ago
    Quoted from Aquapin:

I am a nay.
    Don't feel I am missing out and rather not add more vibration to the electronics.
    **You should add a poll**

I thought about that, it has to loosen up screws and bolts as well.

**Advice taken and poll added

Thanks for weighing in!

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from NovaCade:

I thought about that, it has to loosen up screws and bolts as well.
    **Advice taken and poll added
    Thanks for weighing in!

The shaker doesn't loosen or break anything, especially if you're using a standard shaker from Stern or pinball life. All bets are off with that stupid red shaker from cointaker though!

#6 2 years ago

I find it depends on the title;

JP or Godzilla stomping around? Hell yeah, I want a shaker.

Star Wars or GOTG flying around in space? Meh, don't care to have it.

Later,
    EV

#7 2 years ago

I like Shakers and have them on my 3 - adds a little excitement to the game every now and then.

#8 2 years ago

I turned the one I have to minimal use and I guess it’s better than not having one. However, with a title like JP, the first time I got T Rex multiball, the game was at loud volume and the shaker went nuts and it was awesome. Would hate to miss that kind of experience.

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from shlt_thunder:

I turned the one I have to minimal use and I guess it’s better than not having one. However, with a title like JP, the first time I got T Rex multiball, the game was at loud volume and the shaker went nuts and it was awesome. Would hate to miss that kind of experience.

Agree with this ^
    I just added my first shaker to JP and it is a fantastic upgrade, everyone loves it.
    I'm on the fence about adding to my other machines, I really think it depends on the pin. I may add one to my Star Trek as I've heard good reports on that pin, but TSPP and BEATLES, not so much.

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

All bets are off with that stupid red shaker from cointaker though!

not sure what you mean here, can you explain? I just installed a Cointaker shaker and it was easy, and works great. what's the issue?

#11 2 years ago

The shaker creates great little moments in games. I keep mine to minimal use. But for instance on my Deadpool, making a Ninjapocolypse (sp, i know), its a great little shot of the shaker to show something cool happened.

It isn't going to shake the bolds and screws loose!

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from StoneyCreek:

not sure what you mean here, can you explain? I just installed a Cointaker shaker and it was easy, and works great. what's the issue?

I bought a machine with one of their red shakers in it and the game shook so hard it practically walked across the floor on its own. Normally I would say that a shaker doesn't loosen anything in a pin or cause damage to any of the electronics, but what their super red shaker is so strong I am not willing to make that statement.

**** I actually just checked their website and no longer see the red version of the shaker, so maybe they stopped making it?

#13 2 years ago

Thanks all for weighing in!

Godzilla really stood out to me as a title where the shaker was a really cool upgrade.

I would be interested to see figures (doubt they are out there) about maintenance/repairs on a long term scale in tables with vs without a shaker. Heavy vibrations over time can certainly loosen things in almost any machine. I do HVAC and commercial refrigeration, part of tune up/service plans is tightening all screws, bolts and especially electrical connections. Even when I clean and wax my tables I go through and tighten down whatever posts and other odds and ends I have easy access to, I usually find a few every time, and not always the same one.

That being said, so far I am leaning towards adding one.

#14 2 years ago

My concrete floor can really make a shaker rattle….I disconnected the one on my last action hero because it was causing the crane to shake so violently that it was loosening the set screw and causing it to go out of adjustment.

#15 2 years ago

It’s good on TMNT. During the pizza parlor multi ball it shakes like crazy.

#16 2 years ago

Keep a little blue loc-tite handy.

#17 2 years ago

I love shakers!

#18 2 years ago

I like them generally but “no” because I live with a fiancée that likes it quiet.

That said- they fit new games super nicely. I just don’t have one of those newer games yet.

2 weeks later
    #19 2 years ago

Well, the Mrs. got me a shaker motor for Christmas and I dropped it in on Sunday. As someone else above said, the pizza party multi ball on TMNT by itself is worth having it. Thanks to everyone who weighed in!

I also hit a local arcade this weekend and played their Godzilla pro, they had a shaker in that too, it was really well integrated.

#20 2 years ago
    Quoted from EchoVictor:

I find it depends on the title;

This was going to be my answer as well. It totally depends on the game. In newer Stern games, I seem to run about 50/50. For some of them it just integrates well and immerses you in the play. In other games, I find it distracting. And in almost every game I have a shaker in, I set it to minimal. I only want it to happen with something big going on.

1 year later
    #21 5 months ago

for people that have it on deadpool how is it?

#22 5 months ago
    Quoted from SuperNinjaMonkey:

Did you swap yours out of JP yet?

#23 5 months ago

I bought a HUO JP and it came with a shaker motor. I turned it off after a couple of days .

#24 5 months ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Did you swap yours out of JP yet?

No i bought some from stern waiting for them to come in the mail planned on putting one in deadpool and one in foo fighters

#25 5 months ago
    Quoted from SuperNinjaMonkey:

You get some shakes when in battles and when hitting the boom button if I remember correctly. Nothing terribly exciting, but not the worst use of it either.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/opinion-timeshaker-motor-or-nay and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.