Linked Games

Topic poll

“Which one is the best for longevity”

• SM 56 votes
    54%
  • STTNG 47 votes
    46%

(103 votes)

There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 11 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

Prototype coils ...

Can you tell me more about this? I recently rebuilt all three flippers on mine. They are strong, and feel perfect to me. That being said, I've played some STTNG's that have WAY more powerful flippers. Are some people putting in extra strong coils?

#52 11 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Can you tell me more about this? I recently rebuilt all three flippers on mine. They are strong, and feel perfect to me. That being said, I've played some STTNG's that have WAY more powerful flippers. Are some people putting in extra strong coils?

Pinball life sells them.

#53 11 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Pinball life sells them.

Very interesting. I never knew about these. Personally, I think they are too strong and make the game less fun, but I can see why some people might like them.

#54 11 years ago

For me is STTNG! One of the best rulesets and I love the theme. I don't have a SM but I do have a friend that has one and get to play it on occation. I would like to play Spiderman more though, I only get to play it a few times a year. I also don't know if its just me but I don't find STTNG as difficult as a lot of people say it is. I don't have any problem with the inlanes and although I have the extended outlanes from Pinbits I don't plan on installing them as for me its not necessary. However when my buddies are over they do mention the ball drains a lot there.

#55 11 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

They are the orange wrapper ones sold by PL. For me the flow of the game is greatly improved with them and they have not resulted in any breakage or damage since I've installed them over a year ago. I can nail the Picard maneuver more consistently with them and so it enhances the game for me. Call it cheating or whatever you like but, my game and I like them better than the originals, besides that was what the game was originally designed to use.

#56 11 years ago

Have 'em both...sliiiight edge to STTNG.

#57 11 years ago

I like the game play better on STTNG, but hate Star Trek, so the theme kind of bothers me. The SM theme is much more appealing to me, but I find the game to get a bit boring after a while. However in the time I had SM, there were no major issues (other than a couple optic switch problems) while STTNG was always breaking down (and I have owned two of them over the years and both always broke).

#58 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

If you aren't able to repair most issues yourself you might want to stay away from it.

I can probably fix most things that go wrong; though having to rip the game apart to fix a reoccurring issue is something I don't enjoy.

Robert

#59 11 years ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

I like the game play better on STTNG, but hate Star Trek, so the theme kind of bothers me.

The theme is the main reason STTNG's don't sell for $1,000 more. It is so well integrated that it can be a real turn off to people who dislike Star trek.

#60 11 years ago

Tough call. I have both. SM was my first pin and STTNG my second. SM is great and I would be hesitant to sell my first pin and it was nib. I love my STTNG and brought it back from garage wreck. I like it so much I'm getting a professional restoration soon. I voted SM but really prefer both.

#61 11 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

I have both of these games. They are extremely different. SM is exhausting when I play it and I don't always feel like putting in the time. Ball times are generally longer, and it takes forever to build up a score I care about. I can have a long game with a great score, but often I don't feel like I had to do anything other than constantly bang away during multiballs.
STTNG will give me shorter ball times more often than SM. But when I have a great ball, STTNG feels more rewarding and exciting.

That's the key right there.

Do you want a pin where the games you are playing are really, really long, or one with much shorter games? Personally, I like them both, but I prefer shorter games, so STTNG gets my vote.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Sanford, NC
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.50
7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Saint Johns, MI
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 85.00
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/opinion-siderman-or-sttng/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.