Linked Games

Topic poll

“Which one is the best for longevity”

• SM 56 votes
    54%
  • STTNG 47 votes
    46%

(103 votes)

There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 11 years ago

I have been looking for both, but have room for only one (actually I don't really have room for another) and both have recently become available to me.

I like both, for the few games played; looking for some relevant opinions.

Thanks.

Robert

#2 11 years ago

Let the record show I'm a William's snob. In this case I would certainly go with SM.. Spidey is creeping up on my favorite list passing some of my beloved Williams titles...it's that good

#3 11 years ago

SM without hesitation for me. Really enjoy both but SM has it all with flow and a great rule set. STTNG is fun and cheaper but it is not the all around bad ass pin SM is.

#4 11 years ago

07' Vette or 93' Cargo Van

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from Monster_Bash:

Let the record show I'm a William's snob. In this case I would certainly go with SM.. Spidey is creeping up on my favorite list passing some of my beloved Williams titles...it's that good

I have a buddy that is a total B/W fanboy and won't even play my Stern games.
He is a big poker fan and played WPT once and acted like he needed a shower after touching it.

I have owned both of these games, STTNG is gone, Spidey is still here.

#6 11 years ago

Not really a fair comparison though due to price discrepancies. You can get a nice STTNG and another pin for the price of a SM.

#7 11 years ago

Easily SM. Lots to do, lots of multiball, lots of shots. Great look, great toys. More importantly I feel you dont have to be a hardcore SM fan to like the pinball game, whereas If you dont like Star Trek (like myslef) you have a hard time liking STTNG.

#8 11 years ago

Very true...but as far as game play...I'd take Spidey over MB right now also.

Quoted from Meph:

Not really a fair comparison though due to price discrepancies. You can get a nice STTNG and another pin for the price of a SM.

#9 11 years ago

This is easy for me, STTNG by miles. Though I do like SM, I just like the theme for STTNG much more and feel there is a greater variety of things to do in it over SM. I'm always in a better mood after a couple of games of STTNG.

#10 11 years ago

I own both. Love both.

Are you a trek fan? theme is implemented well

sell some pins and buy both

#11 11 years ago

Have both, and they're both top games. STTNG is brutal with the outlanes unless you do something about it (settings, extenders). But setup for mortals, it's incredibly fun with great flow, sounds and dots. SM is also incredible with crazy fun combos and great Doc Oc modes. You get two cannons on STTNG which are way better than the one AC/DC or T2, but SM has great shaker motor integration. Both have great software, plenty of stuff to do. The Picard Maneuver on STTNG is the best combo in pinball, and Final Frontier is a rush when you have at least 4 artifacts, and Warp Factor 9 is a very fun (but low scoring) bonus round. Borg multiball is one of the best multiballs ever, especially if you can hit the upper ramp/Borg ship. Of course, Super Hero and Battle Royale are also top notch wizard modes (from my overall limited experience in wizard modes, they seem great). Overall SM plays faster since it's a standard width game, but I like the sound package from STTNG better. Can't really make a call, if you like both of them then you'll like them more when you own them, as you uncover all the nuances of the rules and shots. Can't go wrong, neither is leaving my collection.
BTW, some may say STTNG is just about artifacts to get high scores. Well, recently I got to Borg MB 3x in one game and had 3x jackpots worth 400M, but you have to hit the cannon shot consistently to jack up the jackpots.

#12 11 years ago

Have both and really like both. Will likely move one off in a bit. Enjoy fixing and shopping them and both are now finished and play great so I'll be wanting to do another at some point soon. STNG definitely feels different and has a certain appeal similar to an older car vs a more modern one. It's beefy and feels that way when you play it, to me. Spidey has great effects and awesome lights. Depends what you like. There both really good games.

#13 11 years ago

They are both great games, but it's apples and oranges. Other than the fact that they are both flowy Steve Ritchie pins, they really don't have a thing in common. I think STTNG is definitely a better value, and it's easily one of the best bang for the buck pins out there. Spidey is damn fun, though. Tough call.

#14 11 years ago

SM all the way. I couldn't stand STTNG. Of all the pins I've owned, TZ and STTNG are the only ones I don't miss at all. Hmmm...maybe it's a widebody thing, cause I'm not much of a fan of IJ either...

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from levcrush:

TZ and STTNG are the only ones I don't miss at all

Its interesting how we all have such different tastes. Those are my two favorites and the last to leave my home and I wouldn't trade either for SM. But, I love old muscle cars as well.

#16 11 years ago

I have both,SM is slightly better and my favorite pin!

#17 11 years ago

Interesting poll. I have had (and want again) SM.

I pick up STTNG shortly.

I cannot vote since I have but a few games on Trek.

SM is awesome, though!

#18 11 years ago

Not a huge fan of SM so I'd say STTNG. Of course I don't have anywhere near the playing time on SM. This is one situation where the theme is a big deal to me.

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from spidey:

Have both, and they're both top games. STTNG is brutal with the outlanes unless you do something about it

When the ball hits the top of the slings you have to give it a good bump and send it up to the target bank above it and if you do it right it will return to the flipper.

#20 11 years ago

St:tng is my favorite Williams game, SM isn't my favorite Stern though. Tough decision between the two of them. I think that if I had to choose, I'd keep st:tng mainly because it's my only Williams left, and I like some sterns (IM, TSPP) more than SM. Gamewise though they're both really fun, kind of depends on the day.

#21 11 years ago

I went through the same decision process a while back, as I really wanted a Ritchie pin and ultimately decided on STTNG. It has all the flow, all the shots, all the toys, for half the price of Spiderman. The only caveat is if you do not prefer the theme, as it has unsurpassed theme integration, callouts/custom speech and is incredibly immersive.

#22 11 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

callouts/custom speech and is incredibly immersive.

*Flip
"Thank you Mr. Data."

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

*Flip
"Thank you Mr. Data."

Yep, you gotta love that!

#24 11 years ago

I love SM more than I thought I would - for all the reasons mentioned above. While I'm already out of room for pins (had to fold up a couple project pins), I also like STTNG enough in the plays I've had on it to buy one (that a$$hat Isaac is keeping it from being delivered). For being the same designer, they seem rather different games - but both are definitely Ritchie machines in rule depth, flow, etc. It will be interesting if I find I like STTNG better after owning both for awhile as I'm more a fan of Star Trek than SM. I dread the day I might have to decide as to which to get rid of (la la la la...not gonna happen, it couldn't happen )

#25 11 years ago
Quoted from Tommi_Gunn:

07' Vette or 93' Cargo Van

Well, depends on how much crap i need to haul...

#26 11 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

I just like the theme for STTNG much more

This is my feeling too, but (and I have limited play on both) I thought SM was a little more fun to play; maybe it was easier for me to figure out.

Robert

#27 11 years ago
Quoted from Meph:

You can get a nice STTNG and another pin for the price of a SM.

My thought exactly when I the chance for both arose. SM seem a little more fun, but it is expensive (relatively).

Since I don't own either, the longevity question comes to mind as a prime decider. Given my limited play I thought ST would be fun, longer.

Robert

#28 11 years ago
Quoted from MrSanRamon:

This is my feeling too, but (and I have limited play on both) I thought SM was a little more fun to play; maybe it was easier for me to figure out.

I think the thing that needs to be clear on STTNG is that it is a pin from 93 and with some mods and updates, it runs right next to SM just fine. Here is what makes my game tops:
Added LEDs
Painted Borg Ship
Replaced plain BoP and Warbird with lighted Halmark versions
Added outlane extenders.
Prototype coils
Shaker motor
Upgraded Sub
Still to do:
-Have a backbaord decal coming
-Plan on getting playfield cleared
Now my STTNG has surpassed SM in terms of features and yes the game is 14 years older but, what does Spidey have over it? This was before the color changing LEDs so, not that. Both games are deep so not that either. So, if folks played a updated STTNG, they may change their opinions, unless they just hate Star Trek, which I can understand that as I hate certain pins the others love based on the theme as well.

#29 11 years ago
Quoted from MrSanRamon:

I have been looking for both, but have room for only one (actually I don't really have room for another) and both have recently become available to me.
I like both, for the few games played; looking for some relevant opinions.
Thanks.
Robert

STTNG is the best ever made. That said, SM is a really great game. You can't go wrong with either, but if you have to choose one, STTNG.

#30 11 years ago

I have both of these games. They are extremely different. SM is exhausting when I play it and I don't always feel like putting in the time. Ball times are generally longer, and it takes forever to build up a score I care about. I can have a long game with a great score, but often I don't feel like I had to do anything other than constantly bang away during multiballs.

STTNG will give me shorter ball times more often than SM. But when I have a great ball, STTNG feels more rewarding and exciting. I feel more distinction between the missions, and all the other mini modes that you can play. I don't care much for the theme (nor widebodies) but the game has a certain appeal that draws me to it. I can have more fun going for different objectives to keep it interesting. STTNG feels more strategic, whereas SM is full blast constant energy.

SM is more approachable for non pinheads and they seem to have more fun with it banging away. I've never reached Super Hero in SM, whereas Final Frontier is not as hard to achieve. If you are able to complete several missions beforehand, it's worth more, and is a reasonable challenge.

They're both good games, but completely different.

#31 11 years ago

STTNG, no questions.

#32 11 years ago

I own both - have had STTNG for three years + SM for three months.
SM would leave before Sttng in my line up.

SM is a great game but bang for the buck STTNG hands down.
STTNG is a great game that has yet to spike like lesser players such as TOTAN- CV -etc.

#33 11 years ago

I've had two SMs, and I've had STTNG for a while now. STTNG is vastly superior. SM is fun and all but a similar but better game is AC/DC.

STTNG just nails it in all aspects. Some people don't like it because it can be hard, but it's very satisfying when you make your shots. Not the deepest game ever, but most of the modes are very good.

My problem with SM is that 1/2 the modes aren't worth playing. Bonesaw is cool, the rest of them, especially daily bugle are not memerable.

Thumbs up to SM for the mini wizard mode, and thumbs up to STTNG for making your wizard mode score value dependent on how you do leading up to it.

#34 11 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

STTNG is the best ever made. That said, SM is a really great game. You can't go wrong with either, but if you have to choose one, STTNG.

+1, I couldn't have stated it better

#35 11 years ago

I think STTNG is one of the best (if not THE best) game in existence! STTNG has everything in it. great theme integration, advanced rule-set for its time, awesome sound and light show, Tons of flow, challenging ramp shots, lots of habitrails and more subways than any game, dual firing cannons and ship, etc. SM is like a stripped down, cost reduced version of STTNG with longer ball times and a really good rule-set. Both are awesome games and among Steve Ritchie's best work, but STTNG is the King for me.

#36 11 years ago

Before I kill myself let's just get it F'ing over with and have a poll that declares SM as the best pinball ever.

#37 11 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

Before I kill myself ....

Come on Eggie...don't give up so easy. We believe in you!

#38 11 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Come on Eggie...don't give up so easy. We believe in you!

You're a good egg Law...or I am a good egg? Errr...whatever...

#39 11 years ago

Well, since I'm pretty sure you're talking about the SM I have listed, here are my thoughts. I will try to be as neutral as possible.

First and foremost, they are both great games and you couldn't go wrong with either one.

Spiderman
+ More flow than STTNG, unless you get REALLY good at the left orbit>Borg ramp combo.
+ Deeper than STTNG, in my opinion. I've seen every mode there is to see in STTNG, but there's a ton I haven't ever been able to do in SM. Some may disagree on this.
+ Deeper scoring (combo champ, spider champ, etc. in addition to high score.)
+ A more timeless theme, if that's a concern at all. I say this because SM will always be SM, where STTNG is set in a specific era for that theme.
- More expensive.
- Dots aren't as good (movie rips vs custom art.)

STTNG
+ The light show is much better than SM (Borg multiball, time rift, etc.)
+ I like the music more than SM.
+ / - This could go either way depending on your tastes, but STTNG is one of the most extreme cases I've ever seen of some games where everything goes your way, and some games where it's an insta-drain to the right outlane. This tends to really frustrate more casual people. SM definitely doesn't have that problem.
- Much more of a beast to shop / maintain. Tons of optos that can go flakey. Parts are harder to source.

Push
Both are great adaptions of the theme.
Both have cool toys (guns, magnets, moving drop targets etc.)

As fate would have it, my SM that is for sale is sitting next to a STTNG. You are more than welcome to come play both, and I hope you go with my SM.

#40 11 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

Well, since I'm pretty sure you're talking about the SM I have listed

Nah...I was talking about the 1978 Spider Man....

Just kidding...didn't even see you had a SM for sale.

#41 11 years ago

I own both games. They are both fantastic games, but personally like Spidey better. It has flow, great rules and one of the best light shows in pinball! The other reason I like spidey is that it's so appealing to everyone. The theme is timeless kids and adults like it

ST:TNG is also great, but some people are not 100% into the theme and it can be more difficult then spidey for everyone to get into. that is my 2cents

#42 11 years ago
Quoted from mummite:

I own both games. They are both fantastic games, but personally like Spidey better. I

THAT's IT!!!!

Poll started....

#43 11 years ago

SM hands down! Although STTNG is probably my favourite widebody pin.

#44 11 years ago

Keep in mind also that STTNG is one if the hardest games to keep working and running properly. If you aren't able to repair most issues yourself you might want to stay away from it.

#45 11 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Although STTNG is probably my favorite widebody pin.

You into full-figured women?

#46 11 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

You into full-figured women?

It's your mums personality that I like not the junk in her trunk

#47 11 years ago

SM for me

#48 11 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

It's your mums personality that I like not the junk in her trunk

LMAO

#49 11 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

Nah...I was talking about the 1978 Spider Man....
Just kidding...didn't even see you had a SM for sale.

I was talking about the OP - he and I had a few back and forth PMs about my SM for sale.

#50 11 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

Well, since I'm pretty sure you're talking about the SM I have listed

It is...and a ST:TNG also for sale locally, but a little further away.

The thing is that I really don't have room for either, with 3 games in the garage just sitting there.

I had originally gotten a few games that were kid/noob friendly.

Now that the Kids are no longer exactly noob's, I'm thinking of getting some games that are more complex...hence this post.

Robert

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 25.95
$ 25.50
$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 64.99
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfield, CT
Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/opinion-siderman-or-sttng and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.