Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IJ5 (resized).jpg
IJ4 (resized).jpg
IJ3 (resized).jpg
IJ2 (resized).jpg
IJ1 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

I was thinking of putting up my Williams Indiana Jones for trade. The only machine I really want is a Metallica Pro. I wanted to see what people thought of this trade. Is it fair? Should money be exchanged plus trade? Here are a few pictures. Needs a new cabinet. Bottom front is coming apart, Faded etc. Playfield is very nice. Top side of playfield torn down and cleaned, New post, Rubbers, Metal tumbled, A few new plastics, New legs and levelers, Bulbs (Not led), new white plane. Some board work done. Metal wire ramps power coated blue. I'm sure I'm missing a few things. Everything works and plays good. Let me know what you think good or bad. Thanks.

IJ1 (resized).jpgIJ1 (resized).jpg

IJ2 (resized).jpgIJ2 (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

Do you have pics of the cab? I’d still expect some cash on top of the Met.

#3 6 years ago

You mean cash my way or his?

#4 6 years ago

If he puts cash on top of the trade sure. Indy is always in demand and people love restoring Indy. I'm about to do mine myself.
This isn't to be rude but you can trade an Indy for most pins on the market. Why blow it on a met pro? Trade higher not lower

#5 6 years ago

I really like Metallica. Just my thing.

#6 6 years ago

You can get a NIB Met Pro for around $5200 so use that as a starting point.

#7 6 years ago

Cash your way
..IJ is hot right now, much more difficult to get...METs are easily available...

#8 6 years ago

Here are some pics of the cabinet. Only the bottom front for about 1' is like that. I know a local guy that makes cabinets. I can get the cabinet made and new decals installed for about 1,300.00 and then do the swap and it will look real good. I don't know if I want to do it if I'm not going to keep it anyway. It is a pretty fun and cool game. Better than I thought. I thought being a wide body that it would be slow and boring but it isn't.

IJ3 (resized).jpgIJ3 (resized).jpg

IJ4 (resized).jpgIJ4 (resized).jpg

IJ5 (resized).jpgIJ5 (resized).jpg

#9 6 years ago

If your cabinet on the Indiana is in great condition your game is worth 1500 plus more than that met Pro.. I have both of those games

#10 6 years ago

As you can see cabinet is definitely no where close to great

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from mtbpinball:

If your cabinet on the Indiana is in great condition your game is worth 1500 plus more than that met Pro.. I have both of those games

I posted too quickly.... now that I saw your cabinet !!

#12 6 years ago

I would never do that, but then again IJ is my grail game.

#13 6 years ago

There's no way on earth I'd trade my modded met pro (original run..wood head..) for that thing, even if it was just a straight trade. I really like IJ, but...man...that cabinet...

#14 6 years ago

I was really thinking of straight trade with the cabinet the way it is? or me adding money

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from dsmith:

As you can see cabinet is definitely no where close to great.

Yep. Faded badly in addition to the front damage you noted. I suggest letting the next guy replace the cabinet.
I'm not a fan of the blue wire ramps, since they were originally gold which better matches the playfield colors.

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from dsmith:

I was really thinking of straight trade with the cabinet the way it is? or me adding money

I think you could probably get away with a straight trade for a lightly modded MET...but if someone's sitting on a pro with like 1k in tasteful mods (color DMD, LED OCD, upgraded speakers, speaker lights, shaker motor etc etc)...that cabinet's a real hard sell IMO. Hopefully that's a bit more clear and a bit less knee-jerkish.

#17 6 years ago

I'm not a fan of anything gold except bars so power coating them did not bother me. I may just end up getting a new cabinet made and doing the swap to give me something to do and keep it

#18 6 years ago

I would really be looking for a stock Metallica. I don't need any extras.

#19 6 years ago

You might find someone that would trade you straight across for a stock Met Pro, or maybe a lightly routed Met Pro. Your cabinet is pretty bad, your missing the bi-plane, the blue habitrails don't really go with the machine in my opinion, also the plating on your gun doesn't look like it's in very good condition. All these things would drop the value for me.

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from ita47:

You might find someone that would trade you straight across for a stock Met Pro, or maybe a lightly routed Met Pro. Your cabinet is pretty bad, your missing the bi-plane, the blue habitrails don't really go with the machine in my opinion, also the plating on your gun doesn't look like it's in very good condition. All these things would drop the value for me.

I have a brand new plane installed now. Did not have it when I took the picture. Blue ramps can be replated and the gun could use plated as well. I definitely didn't say it was perfect but appreciate the opinions good or bad.

#21 6 years ago

If or when I get a new cabinet and decals I was planning on having the gun platted. The coin door and backbox hinges power coated black.

#22 6 years ago

Is the powder coating (not trying to be obnoxious, but it's called "powder" coating b/c of the painting process, not "power" painting, which does sound cooler) on the ramps chipping in some spots? Hard to tell if it is, or if that's just reflections in the photos.

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Is the powder coating (not trying to be obnoxious, but it's called "powder" coating b/c of the painting process, not "power" painting, which does sound cooler) on the ramps chipping in some spots? Hard to tell if it is, or if that's just reflections in the photos.

Ah yes. I meant powder coating. I did this because the platting was faded and looked terrible. My buddy has a powder coating booth and owes me tons of favors. They are smooth.

#24 6 years ago

Cabinet aside, the playfield looks good and its all there and works. The ramps need addressed and a part or two will need to be sourced but if you put that in a new cab and applied some elbow grease it would be beautiful.

Lots of people looking for restoration projects like this...
But I do change my opinion about cash on top of the MET...its an even trade

#25 6 years ago

If you have someone lined up for a trade just go for it bud. I would say its an even trade given the cab.

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Cabinet aside, the playfield looks good and its all there and works. The ramps need addressed and a part or two will need to be sourced but if you put that in a new cab and applied some elbow grease it would be beautiful.

Let me know in more detail what you think it needs as far as parts, work and elbow grease. I tore down the playfield, cleaned, waxed, polished metal, replaced posts and rubbers etc. I'm no pro and sure I could have do a little better but just curious.

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from fisherdaman:

If you have someone lined up for a trade just go for it bud. I would say its an even trade given the cab.

I don't have anyone lined up for a trade. Just wanted to get some opinions if it was fair or not. I have never traded before and don't know if I just want to sell or not. Harder and harder to get machines.

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from dsmith:

Let me know in more detail what you think it needs as far as parts, work and elbow grease. I tore down the playfield, cleaned, waxed, polished metal, replaced posts and rubbers etc. I'm no pro and sure I could have do a little better but just curious.

I was referring to putting it in a new cabinet..
Elbow grease such as:
Building and decaling new cab
Refinishing the coin door and gun
Swapping the playfield,boards,cab components etc.

Then parts such as biplane, new ramps(or refinish those), plus all the other little crap that comes up when you put it all together...

#29 6 years ago

I can possibly add an opinion of both machines here...

IJ was the third pin I ever owned. I had it for about 5 years. I traded it for a TSPP when a very nice IJ was worth about 4500.

I have played IJ OVER 1,000 times. NOT an exaxeration. I know it's a great game BUT it just got old after a while. Every machine is less exciting once you can get to the wizard mode and see everything that the machine has to offer the player.

I have owned two different Metallica's. One was a 2500 plays routed machine. I had it about three months and liked it so much that I decided to sell it so I could buy a NIB one. It was the last Stern I bought and less importantly, it's the only one that I have left in a collection of 20+ pins.

Should you do the trade? I say yes BUT that cabinet is not so great. I know anything can be put back to the way it once was, especially with a cabinet rebuild but man, it's a LOT of work for an IJ to look great again. It really is an art and takes a lot of time to do it right.

So yeah, if I had THAT IJ and someone offered me a NIB MET pro, I would take that deal and run. I don't see that IJ being worth 5K+ but I guess there is a sucker born every minute.

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

I was referring to putting it in a new cabinet..
Elbow grease such as:
Building and decaling new cab
Refinishing the coin door and gun
Swapping the playfield,boards,cab components etc.
Then parts such as biplane, new ramps(or refinish those), plus all the other little crap that comes up when you put it all together...

Ok. I got it. I do have a brand new biplane on it now. This is part of the reason why I'm thinking of trading it now before I get a new cabinet and do all that work. Where do I stop with all the new stuff when I would rather a different machine. Someone else that plans on keeping it can spend as much time and money on it as they like.

#31 6 years ago
Quoted from dsmith:

I don't have anyone lined up for a trade. Just wanted to get some opinions if it was fair or not. I have never traded before and don't know if I just want to sell or not. Harder and harder to get machines.

Post a trade request here and on Craigslist or whatever is popular in your area. Most of my successful trades have been done through craigslist.

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from dsmith:

Ok. I got it. I do have a brand new biplane on it now. This is part of the reason why I'm thinking of trading it now before I get a new cabinet and do all that work. Where do I stop with all the new stuff when I would rather a different machine. Someone else that plans on keeping it can spend as much time and money on it as they like.

Like I said, theres a lot of people(myself included) who would love to restore that...you should have no trouble trading it...

#33 6 years ago

That playfield is beautiful.

New bottom some glue and decals on the cab and you would have one minty game.

I think it would be a trade plus cash to you

#34 6 years ago

How it stands its a fair trade with no cash imho......

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 70.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

12,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilmington, DE
$ 0.00
Lighting - Backbox
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 12.95
$ 29.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 1,319.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 85.00
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

11,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Trumansburg, NY
$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

14,000 (OBO)
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/opinion-on-trade-wms-ij-for-met-pro and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.