• 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by PtownPin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3600 (resized).jpeg
#1 4 years ago

I have a friend that's involved in a church club for kids. They originally wanted to buy a pinball machine, but I think they kind of got spooked by the cost of new machines and the potential maintenance of older machines. They found a MAME that they would like my opinion on, but I have no experience with arcade games like this.

Below is a picture they sent me asking whether or not its a decent deal or if there's anything else they should know about it. I have no idea, so I'm forwarding the inquiry to you guys. What do you think? Good buy for a church youth group? Any potential issues they would need to know about?

The description says it's six weeks old with "little use".

Thanks in advance!

IMG_3600 (resized).jpegIMG_3600 (resized).jpeg

#2 4 years ago

Those 60 in 1 boards can be pretty crappy, but unless you're experienced with the original games, then you probably wont notice. The price really depends on condition. Is it a CRT or lcd screen? Looks like an lcd. In which case it's less then $500 in parts to build.

But if you're looking for a simple to run, problem free, plug and play game; then this might be for them. I wouldn't want it taking up space in my basement.

For that price you could probably find something with a raspberry pi and 5000 games. But that might be more then what you want. Especially if it's going into a church. You might want to stay away from some of the more violent games like mortal kombat and keep it clean with pac man and burger time.

#3 4 years ago

definitely over priced for what is is.. as Luckydogg420 said, those 60 in 1s are pretty crappy for a home arcade collector but it would be ok for what you want to use it for.. i just think its over priced. I wouldn't pay more than 750 for that.

#4 4 years ago

Just to echo what Luckydogg420 said above, that price is WAY too high for what that game appears to be. It looks like it may be a scratch build and not a conversion which doesn’t really matter and definitely an LCD which for a non arcade enthusiast is the way to go anyway. No maintenance and way cheaper to fix and or replace. The stick looks generic too and only two buttons so it’ll limit what games can be played. The 60-1 iCade boards as mentioned above as well are good for what they are...cheap Chinese emulation boards that play OK for the price. They don’t save scores which some may not care about. There are definitely better multicades out there for way cheaper. I just picked up an Arcade Legends (made by CGC) for a couple hundred bucks total that has 260 something games on it and it is commercially built with Happ sticks and controls. I honestly wouldn’t offer more than $400-500 tops for it and only because it’s already built and running. Good luck!

#5 4 years ago

Thanks for the info, fellas! I'll pass it along.

#6 4 years ago

Better off buying a cheap TV (aren't they all now?) and a game console. Those old arcade games will not get played by kids....the games suck compared to even the crappiest cell phone game kids can play.

#7 4 years ago

If its for kids I would definitely go with a Jamma multicade versus a pinball machine...I would stay away from Mame unless all the button programming is already done as they are not user friendly for someone whose not savvy with computers...those 60-1 jamma boards work just fine....I think the game listed is almost 2X over priced unless its brand new

#8 4 years ago

A 60 in 1 board costs like 70 bucks. For real.

https://diyarcade.com/products/60-in-1-multi-game-jamma-pcb-board-vertical

When you pay 800+ for crap like this, you're paying because someone else did the work of assembling and gussying up a brand new cabinet, or gutting a classic game and converting it to this trash. Nothing about any of this is 'technical work' when there's a LCD screen in there (no CRT BS of convergence, color balancing, cap kits, high voltage, flybacks, etc etc.), and any moron with half a brain could install the board, the monitor, and the controls with easily available cheap parts. You can buy a JAMMA harness that's already got spade connectors on it.

Kit to convert existing game: https://diyarcade.com/collections/60-in-1-arcade-kits/products/ultimate-60-in-1-diy-arcade-kit-happ-joystick?variant=20725613789254 214 bucks.

#9 4 years ago

Ebay sells 2 player control panels that have a board built inside them with 1200? Games for a couple hundred bucks. Then buy a TV nd you're into it for way less and have way more!

#10 4 years ago

I like this idea. Are there any good DIY tutorials for assembling this?

I'm not involved with the club, but I'd like to share this with my friend. Maybe the kids can do this as a project if it's simple enough? I think there's a mix of ages.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

A 60 in 1 board costs like 70 bucks. For real.
https://diyarcade.com/products/60-in-1-multi-game-jamma-pcb-board-vertical
When you pay 800+ for crap like this, you're paying because someone else did the work of assembling and gussying up a brand new cabinet, or gutting a classic game and converting it to this trash. Nothing about any of this is 'technical work' when there's a LCD screen in there (no CRT BS of convergence, color balancing, cap kits, high voltage, flybacks, etc etc.), and any moron with half a brain could install the board, the monitor, and the controls with easily available cheap parts. You can buy a JAMMA harness that's already got spade connectors on it.
Kit to convert existing game: https://diyarcade.com/collections/60-in-1-arcade-kits/products/ultimate-60-in-1-diy-arcade-kit-happ-joystick?variant=20725613789254 214 bucks.

Your not wrong....what costs more than the Jamma hardware is the cabinet...I have a really high end MAME system that was put together custom and it cost well over $4K (it was part of a pinball trade)....DIY cabinet with custom arcade graphics, 32" monitor, 2 light guns with recoil, two different 4 player control panels with quality buttons/track ball, key board, mouse, 8 Tb external hard drive, and a nice computer....the challenge with this system is its way over kill for not only myself, but for someone who doesn't have a decent understanding of software and hardware...it has like 50,000 games and we play maybe 50

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Your not wrong....what costs more than the Jamma hardware is the cabinet...I have a really high end MAME system that was put together custom and it cost well over $4K (it was part of a pinball trade)....DIY cabinet with custom arcade graphics, 32" monitor, 2 light guns with recoil, two different 4 player control panels with quality buttons/track ball, key board, mouse, 8 Tb external hard drive, and a nice computer....the challenge with this system is its way over kill for not only myself, but for someone who doesn't have a decent understanding of software and hardware...it has like 50,000 games and we play maybe 50

You didn't need an 8TB drive just for MAME... or even to hold the entire 8+16 bit emulator library PLUS MAME....unless the MAME set is now including larger games with huge texture storage. At least not as of 2005-ish anyways. My set is pretty old. Pretty sure half of that would've been more than sufficient, and you're talking about a crazy enthusiast level build, not just "hey let's play some games at the youth center".

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

I like this idea. Are there any good DIY tutorials for assembling this?
I'm not involved with the club, but I'd like to share this with my friend. Maybe the kids can do this as a project if it's simple enough? I think there's a mix of ages.

Go register over on KLOV. Pretty sure they have a MAME/DIY subforum. Just keep in mind some of those guys are true preservationists, and you'll probably get a few verbal nut-punches if you're converting a working original game.

Also, while I posted those links to show the stuff is available, I know nothing about that company or their reputation, nor am I endorsing ordering from them. Parts may be available substantially cheaper elsewhere, but again...KLOV should be able to point you to reliable vendors.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

You didn't need an 8TB drive just for MAME... or even to hold the entire 8+16 bit emulator library PLUS MAME....unless the MAME set is now including larger games with huge texture storage. At least not as of 2005-ish anyways. My set is pretty old. Pretty sure half of that would've been more than sufficient, and you're talking about a crazy enthusiast level build, not just "hey let's play some games at the youth center".

I hear ya that it was a crazy enthusiast high end, over built system that is very high quality, but way overkill for most. Not sure why he used an 8Tb hard drive, but the system does use over 5Tb of storage. My only point is MAME isn't that user friendly for someone who isn't savvy with computers, and doesn't want to spend the time to really understand how it all ties together. If u have a bunch of kids randomly pushing buttons than u can easily screw up the system....He should stick to a nice 60-1 Jamma board thats all preprogrammed....cheaper and much more user friendly ... I see used cocktail and upright one ones for less than $500 that would work just fine....

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Better off buying a cheap TV (aren't they all now?) and a game console. Those old arcade games will not get played by kids....the games suck compared to even the crappiest cell phone game kids can play.

I'm going to disagree here. I built a quick MAME cab and kids can't wait to play it. Plus, they'll play for hours.

For reference, ages 6 - 12.

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

I'm going to disagree here. I built a quick MAME cab and kids can't wait to play it. Plus, they'll play for hours.
For reference, ages 6 - 12.

Totally agree. I built a mame arcade and it's played by my kids much more than my pins. In fact TMNT is the top earner with them. They love that game. So many classics that kids would love.

#17 4 years ago

My kids play my system far more than they play pinball.....

#18 4 years ago

I would not buy that Mame for the reasons stated above.

A fair price on that setup would be $500-$800.

If the kids are small (8 and under) I'd probably get a couple of the Arcade 1 ups you see people hating on here. If you check brickseek they can be found for $75-$200 NIB... plus IKEA style furniture assembly.

If you want a full size cabinet and money is no object, I'd elect for a 4 player cabinet if I could.

Remember that this is a Church group, and if you get a fancy setup with 10,000 games, Church leadership might not be too happy about the kiddos having a Mortal Kombat tournament.

A MAME setup or just a 60 in 1 board would be great. I'd recommend the multicade over a pin for kids.

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

My kids play my system far more than they play pinball.....

That’s probably not saying much. Lol

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

That’s probably not saying much. Lol

Believe or not my kids (10, 10, 12) enjoy playing pinball, but it goes in waves....The arcade is always popular

#21 4 years ago

I forgot to mention though, that cab is too expensive in my opinion.

#22 4 years ago

I'd offer the guy $750 and see what he/she says....its basically brand new, and new ones are about the same price...yes u can DIY and put another one together a lot cheaper, but its a lot of work ....

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/opinion-on-this-mame-game?hl=vabeachrunner4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.