Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by jeffsgames
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

I was thinking about getting my Williams IJ brass plated. One problem I have is, do I really want to risk taking off the side rails?
-Are they easy to get off, or is it easier to just buy new and have them plated?
-Am I going to damage the cabinet side by taking them off?
-If I don't take them off, will it look stupid that the lockdown bar and legs and coin door and habitrail are plated but not side rails?

Another thing is location. I know there is a guy you guys send yours to get plated, seems like a fair price. There is a local person, but he can only do copper. That might look stupid.

Any opinions?

#2 7 years ago

well, I have a brand new brass plated coin door, if you pull the trigger on it.

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from dlbuller:

-If I don't take them off, will it look stupid that the lockdown bar and legs and coin door and habitrail are plated but not side rails?

Yes

Side rails are just a few screws i believe. Shouldnt be too hard.

#4 7 years ago

nope..side rails are also locked on by double sided tape. Some are a real bitch to get off.

#5 7 years ago

I can't help much, but I CAN tell you that I've seen a PoTC with brass plating and it looked incredible.

#6 7 years ago

I did mine. It looks great. The siderails are a bitch to get off. You will definitely ruin them in the process. Just plan on that happening and buy new ones. I suggestion just order siderails from Mike Chestnut. He usually stocks them and sells them outright.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

nope..side rails are also locked on by double sided tape. Some are a real bitch to get off.

Yes, what he said. They are like $55 for the set so be prepared to buy a set. First time taking them off you can easily mess one up if your not very patient and careful.

#8 7 years ago

I just finished restoring an IJ complete with the brass trim and it looks fantastic on this game. I also had all the habitrails done along with the wire part of the apron. Mike chestnut did the work and they don't come much better.

He also did the gun in black nickle with a chrome trigger. He'll also do all the necessary bolts in the finish you need.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from tonymiddendorf:

I can't help much, but I CAN tell you that I've seen a PoTC with brass plating and it looked incredible.

I've seen that POTC also, and it does look quite nice.

#10 7 years ago

Almost a guarantee to bend the rails taking them off. Just did them on my TOTAN with the intention of having them plated and ended up buying new ones instead. My rails had a screw at the front of the cabinet, double faced tape along sides, and a nail at the back end of the cabinet. I didn't use a heat gun for fear of ruining the side art. Good luck with whichever you choose.

#11 7 years ago

I removed my WCS siderails with a putty knife. Took my time working it under the rail, gently pulling the rails from the cab in the process. Worked really well and they only took about 20 minutes to remove. Powder coated them and reinstalled. Not a single dent or bow. I must have been really lucky!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 50.00
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside