Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Skidave
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170312_132158 (resized).jpg
    20170312_163913 (resized).jpg
    20170312_124850 (resized).jpg
    #1 5 years ago

Have the chance to pick up a Captain Fantastic that is not working. The BG and Playfield are in good shape, the cabinet is ok. What might I offer for it not working? Is it a good playing pin?

Kickout

#2 5 years ago
    Quoted from Kickout:

Have the chance to pick up a Captain Fantastic that is not working. The BG and Playfield are in good shape, the cabinet is ok. What might I offer for it not working? Is it a good playing pin?
    Kickout

It's a mediocre playing game that is probably the most overvalued game around. Good looking game but simply not worth the ridiculous price usually asked for it.

If you can get it cheap, go for it. But usually they want way too much.

#3 5 years ago

Four flipper games are always overrated in my opinion. If the game isn't working ask under 500.00 and if he says no walk away.

#4 5 years ago

if the playfield and glass are good $500 is a steal. if you dont want it at $500 i will drive down from Canada and buy it haha

#5 5 years ago

If it's cosmetically nice $500-800. Sought after game but they made a ton.

I think it's mediocre but not a bad game to play. And let's face it it looks awesome.

#6 5 years ago

I’m fond of Wizard! but not Captain Fantastic. Don’t care for the left flipper arrangement.

#7 5 years ago

I don't like the Theme so never give these machines a second look at any price and laugh at the ridiculously overpriced ones. I saw Elton John 3 times and liked his early stuff but don't want to stare at him, same with Bally Rolling Stones, backglass is the deal breaker.
    That said these don't stay around long at a decent price so make your decision quickly. For some reason people think they have struck gold with this Title, maybe they think the price will skyrocket when EJ cashes in his chips.

#8 5 years ago

it’s kinda crappy as a player, great to look at though!

#9 5 years ago

Is

#10 5 years ago

I’d think $500-$800 would be a fair valuation for this title in good shape, but non working.

To echo the others’ sentiments, it’s a pretty crappy game. Just hammer on those drop targets for specials and extra balls. There’s really not much else to really go for.

#11 5 years ago

Not a big fan based on the double flipper configuration. I like to trap and can't do this with double flippers. I also am not a huge fane of open inlanes. Open inlanes also makes it difficult to trap. I.e. Jacks Open. But I still love my Jacks Open even if it make me play differently.

#12 5 years ago

Better check it out! mine was 700.00 and when I went to look at it, it was an Uncensored back glass, reverse cabinet color and SN#1108 (108 off the line)
    not bad considering they made 16000. The guy bought it 7 years prior, never got around to getting it going and was a Juke box collector/repair man and even gave me a new stencil kit for it. Good thing he didn't get around to a repaint!!!!

20170312_124850 (resized).jpg20170312_124850 (resized).jpg20170312_132158 (resized).jpg20170312_132158 (resized).jpg20170312_163913 (resized).jpg20170312_163913 (resized).jpg
    #13 5 years ago

Make sure it has the original pop bumper caps. They are in short supply since no other game has Elton John on the pop bumpers.

#14 5 years ago

Apparently, Bally wanted to quickly make a licensed themed pin that had limited features to keep manufacturing costs low. I'm sure if they had incorporated this playfield design in an unlicensed themed pin, it would have been a sales disaster. But, with Elton John on the backglass, this machine was a huge success. I always thought CF needed a spinner and some kickout holes to improve game play. It's a good game for inexperienced players, but it can get boring for an experienced player. If you can get the machine for $600-$700 or less with good cosmetics, I'd go for it...

#15 5 years ago

And? Did you purchase?

There are 3 Captain Fantastics for sale on Craigslist in our area. One new today. All are over priced in my opinion.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/opinion-on-a-captain-fantastic-?hl=mbaumle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.