Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by vid1900
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“New Pinball Machine Driver Board. Through Hole or Surface Mount”

• TH components are worth $40 cost add to a new pinball machine 12 votes
      71%
    • No opinion / Don't care 1 vote
      6%
    • SM components are worth $40 cost savings on a new pinball machine 4 votes
      24%

(17 votes)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rottendog.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 11 years ago

Interested to hear opinions on SM .vs. TH technology when it comes to a "traditional" driver board in a new pinball machine.

SM boards are less expensive because the boards can be made smaller, the costs of components are less and automation allows for cheaper assembly costs.

TH boards are more expensive because of the opposite of these same reasons, but they are repairable by most owners that own a soldering pencil.

The question: If the cost of a TH driver board added $40 to the cost of a new pinball machine, would it be worth the extra cost?

#8 11 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

I'd like to know how you arrived at the $40 figure. Not saying it's high or low. Just curious how you came up with that number.
    I've owned and operated over a dozen different Stern's. SAM's, Whitestar's and modified Whitestar's. I've had to repair a grand total of one driver board. Replaced a transistor on a well routed T3. If Stern or JJP can get their reliability better than that, I'm fine with surface mount. Like every other electronic device I own, why should I care if it never breaks?
    As someone who works on games, I'm anxious to see how Stern and JJP's new systems shake out. While I understand that switching to new board sets and operating systems always presents opportunities for problems, I'm hopeful that both systems are virtually bulletproof once the bugs are worked out. Pinball isn't complicated. No reason they can't increase reliability.
    Assuming you're Jim, what percentage of your driver board sales are your Whitestar board? I'm guessing you don't sell a heck of a lot compared to other driver boards.

I am actually in the process of quoting a driver board for new machines. I am about at the $30 difference point because of the less expensive components, labor costs of inserting 36 TO220 FETs, and several square inches of board. I am not constrained to the original board size, so I can make it as small as I want = pro for SM; However I am always providing support to people with our boards that blow out a transistor.

You are right, much fewer Whitestar Driver Boards

#16 11 years ago

Maybe I'll price out a through hole for connectors and drive transistors and do SM for all the logic and passive components. Added cost for that though would be the board would need to go through two soldering processes. First SM then wave solder for the TH parts. As far as board size, I think a TO220 TH transistor takes up less space than a D-square SM part....... Hummm. Best of both worlds.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rottendog.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/opinion-new-pinball-machine-driver-board-surface-mount-vs-through-hole?tu=Rottendog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.