Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 53 posts
  • 47 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Dewey68
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 11 years ago

Yes, I know that this is a "everybody has their own opinion" feeling!

But I'm contemplating a FT for my collection and wanted to know if people thought this was fun for a casual player/family? I've got a pretty wide variety of games from an EM to Tron, but was looking for something that's not super deep and just 'fun' to throw up a few games....

#2 11 years ago

One of the funnest pins i've ever played.

Quoted from NJGecko:

but was looking for something that's not super deep and just 'fun' to throw up a few games....

This is the game for you then.

#3 11 years ago

I would agree completely.

#4 11 years ago
Quoted from NJGecko:

But I'm contemplating a FT for my collection and wanted to know if people thought this was fun for a casual player/family? I've got a pretty wide variety of games from an EM to Tron, but was looking for something that's not super deep and just 'fun' to throw up a few games....

Yea, FT's would be a nice fit for what your looking for here. Plus its still a reasonably priced pin. You might get tired of the topper flopping around but you can always disconnect that...

#5 11 years ago

Ive only gotten a few games on it at a bowling alley by me, I thought it was fun but not special. If the price was low Id get one.

#6 11 years ago

One of my fave pins of all time, also it's my mother in laws fave too, she's addicted to it, and never touches any of my other pins ever..haha..

#7 11 years ago

No, it's no fun at all. The more people that know that, the better. Other known "no fun" pins are Monster Bash, Tron, Whitewater & Whirlwind. Spread the word and forward any leads within 500 miles of Madison WI to me.

#8 11 years ago

its a fun pin. got rid of mine earlier this year to make room for an AFM. will get one again probably.

#9 11 years ago

I bought one having never played it before. At that point my only other pinball machine was Jurassic Park. Due to finances at the time I had to quickly choose between either a Fish Tales and Jurassic Park. I shopped them both around for a bit, but ultimately choose to keep the Fish Tales. I haven't regretted it yet! Although in fairness I'd buy my Jurassic Park back (at a loose) in a heartbeat too. Maybe I just like everything.

#10 11 years ago

I'd hit it if a nice one popped up locally to me. The Mark Ritchie signature criss-cross ramps are lots of fun to hit back to back.

#11 11 years ago

It's very fun. I'd like to own one. I can't decide what it's worth to me yet and I have others on my list in front of it. What's a realistic price check for this machine nowadays?

Players, but with a playfield that isn't chewed up =
Standard HUO condition (played alot, but pretty much like new) =

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

It's very fun. I'd like to own one. I can't decide what it's worth to me yet and I have others on my list in front of it. What's a realistic price check for this machine nowadays?
Players, but with a playfield that isn't chewed up =
Standard HUO condition (played alot, but pretty much like new) =

Players games usually have fade and insert issues - 1500-2000 (but they usually don't sell near the end of the range)

HUO Perfect? I can't say that i've ever seen that.

#13 11 years ago

It's fun. I play it.

#14 11 years ago

It is a very fun pin, but also challenging. Easy rules, fast, balanced scoring, no easy path to high scoring, great theme, great dmd graphics,great graphics overall, but also drain monster with short ball times. Mine has regular flippers and it still kicks my ass regularly.

#15 11 years ago

Its a great machine in a collection. My family loves it. They seem to have creeped up a little in price.
$1500 to $2200 for a really nice example?

#16 11 years ago

Players, but with nice PF = rarely exist
Standard HUO condition = rarely exist

IMHO this game is tough to find with a nice PF. For whatever reason the fish inserts and tacklebox area take a beating. That is why many either have a crap PF or have had a decal applied (either individual fish or the big entire tackle box one).

Players games usually mean faded cab and chipped inserts = 1200-1400ish
HUO condition do not seem to come around very often but seem to be double the price ???

IMHO It has a lot of things that put it squarely in the fun category: insteresting shots, some challenge but still a sense of accomplishemnet for the novice, non-liscenced theme, good humor, and sub 3k!

#17 11 years ago

Yes, its very fun to play. It's fishing without the wet, worms, and smell of dead fish

#18 11 years ago

Fun game...you can set up up so it's fun and simple, yet it can also be set up mean for a challenge. Quirky fun and a decent tournament game.

#19 11 years ago

Great, and unique game. Great flow as well.

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from Ika:

It is a very fun pin, but also challenging. Easy rules, fast, balanced scoring, no easy path to high scoring, great theme, great dmd graphics,great graphics overall, but also drain monster with short ball times. Mine has regular flippers and it still kicks my ass regularly.

Scoring is a risk, reward. I wouldn't exactly call the 100,000 super jackpot shot balanced, but it's not an easy setup. For tournament play it probably depends on your competition. If anyone can knock out a few 100,000 captive ball shots that's a lot of Monster Fish.

#21 11 years ago

Yes, had one in the house growing up since '96. I was never huge into pinball back then, but always liked it.

#22 11 years ago

Very fun Pin. The kids are mad at me for selling it now. Very broad spectrum appealing.

#23 11 years ago

It was awesome when it came out. Innovative, entertaining, challenging.

I find it very limited and dated now. You NEED to play the game before committing to it. For the age of the pin, good conditioned examples are getting very pricey.

#24 11 years ago

It is one of my favorites. The kids, however, don't seem to spend much time on it. It's a great game to play with multiple people because the balls don't last as long as on other machines. Gives everyone a chance to play without falling asleep waiting for their turn.

#25 11 years ago

It is a great game! Love the boat ramp shots. Some good humor and catchy tunes, too. It isn't a deep game, but the ball times are well matched to the rules.

#26 11 years ago

It's SUPER fun! The cris-cross ramps shot is really satisfying for combos, and every shot has purpose & sets up a reward.

#27 11 years ago

Does anybody know what one with a beautiful playfield (no fish wear at all) and a very faded cabinet would go for?

#28 11 years ago
Quoted from The_Gorilla:

It was awesome when it came out. Innovative, entertaining, challenging.

I find it very limited and dated now. You NEED to play the game before committing to it. For the age of the pin, good conditioned examples are getting very pricey.

Man I need glasses. I was talking about " FH ", not " FT "

Yes, FT is fun. And still priced reasonably for the most part.

*off to search for my reading specs, now....

#29 11 years ago

I like it. I don't think it's as good as White Water but it's VALUE is 50x better. I think it's one of the better bang for the buck deals in pinball these days.

#30 11 years ago

Fun, fast, and unforgiving.

#31 11 years ago

I picked up a very nice example with virtually no insert wear (except a little TINY bit at the seams of the Tales Told fish) and a non faded cab for 1600 a few months ago. When this game is waxed with white rubber and playing one hundred percent it is very fast and fun. The topper almost acts like a shaker. Although there are only a few timed "modes" there are many objectives to accomplish which are not that easy. With many of the shots, if they are not perfect, you are asking for a drain. It is a very nice game and the prices are still great in any condition as long as the price is commensurate with condition. I have watched the recent market for this game and with a very nice condition field and some fading around 1800 is a good deal if everything is 100%, including bumpers, and flippers. Decals and new plastics can still be purchased but you will have to look around as all of the recent pinball speculators and the infighting between license holders have really put a crunch on parts availability of limited production licensed parts. I loved the game but my buddy begged me and bought it from me...For what I paid! And remember, CPR should be in the process of creating a repro mini and full sized play field so if you are planning on making it a keeper, you could really have the choice of whether you go for fade with a good field or vice versa.

#32 11 years ago

hate fishing, love the game - great game

#33 11 years ago

If someone local to 10956 has one for $1,500 let me know.

#34 11 years ago
Quoted from edcianci:

hate fishing, love the game - great game

I love fishing, but hated the game. Mine didn't stay long. When I needed some cash, it was the first game out the door.

#35 11 years ago
Quoted from NJGecko:

I think it is a fun time. Wouldn't want it in a small collection though. It is the text book definition of not super deep and fun IMHO.

#36 11 years ago

Great table - it's a little difficult if you have the lighting flippers but you can swap them out if you so desire.

#37 11 years ago
Quoted from The_Gorilla:

*off to search for my reading specs, now....

Look on top of your head, Gorilla!

#38 11 years ago

I enjoy Fish Tales just as much as my Tron !

#39 11 years ago

Whooo Yah, Fish Tales. It's fun, and hard enough to have good lasting power.

#40 11 years ago

FT is a great Mark Ritchie pin. It's the closest routed pin to where I live and I love going to that pizza place just to put a few quarters in there.

#41 11 years ago

Great pin. Miss mine.

Would love to get a minter.

Prefer it to WH20 which kind of surprised me.

#42 11 years ago

By far the most played pin at my house. Great fun, especially for a quick game. I'd rather play 3 games on it than 1 game on my DM at this point. It's easy to teach a guest what to do, I always just start simple with "when you hear the fish tail smacking, shoot the spinner", and they're off to the races!

#43 11 years ago
Quoted from GoVols:

By far the most played pin at my house. Great fun, especially for a quick game. I'd rather play 3 games on it than 1 game on my DM at this point. It's easy to teach a guest what to do, I always just start simple with "when you hear the fish tail smacking, shoot the spinner", and they're off to the races!

Demo man is pretty darn fun too, just not as pretty as FT.. send a maniac to catch a maniac.

#44 11 years ago

FT as fun as Tron, really? FT is a good game but it is nothing mind blowing. Has great sound and music with satisfying jackpots and a super you actually have to work for. That is one thing I miss in newer games a lot, jackpots that take some skill. The criss cross ramps are cool to an extent, but damn does that boat take up a huge part of the PF. If setup as such it can be brutal and unforgiving. Would not consider it novice friendly.

Amazing original art package and the cabinet art and colors are top notch, finding a non faded one is hard but not impossible.

#45 11 years ago

I grew up on Fish Tales. Still enjoy the game today when I have a chance. "How big was it???"

#46 11 years ago

I just sold a very nice FT for $2800. It sold here on pinside in less than two hours. Its in really nice shape though. It was my first time owning one and I swear thats the toughest pin ive ever played. I just never could get a game going on it. Wasn't my cup of tea. I think it requires a certain level of skill. A level above mine aparently

#47 11 years ago

I'll admit to not liking it much. Kinda bored me to tears but I only played about 10-20 games. Seems more like a novelty pin to me but I know I'm in the minority on it.

#48 11 years ago

Had mine for several years. Never leaving. Fun for all.

#49 11 years ago

Fish tales is the first game out of many I think will probably last more then a month or two very fast and a blast to play but you gotta have the lighting flippers

#50 11 years ago

I think it's fun but I could never get past the music. I certainly understand why so many like it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
Machine - For Sale
Tacoma, WA
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Starcade Amusement

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

6,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, CA
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

12,500 (OBO)
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 8.50
Hardware
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 169.00
$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/opinion-is-ft-fun and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.