Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 845 posts
  • 153 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Xerico
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

the master.jpg
    image.jpg
    TheOneInTheCrowd.jpg
    nelly.png
    wptbg.jpg
    deadhorse.gif
    some random guy.jpg
    dd.jpg
    d.jpg
    HOTGUYINRIVER.jpeg
    TWOHOTGUYS.jpeg
    HOT!.jpeg
    skill shot.jpg
    fonz-pinball-420.jpg
    kill everyone now.jpg
    sexy flounder.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zsciaeount.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#412 9 years ago

Bowen,

I think there is some merit to your arguments, but where do you draw the line between offensive and not offensive, and how do you ensure that the standards are enforced uniformly?

Forums in general tend to devolve into a Lord of the Flies situation, augmented by the relative anonymity, and the security of not having to look someone in the eye when you grief them. I would say that while Pinside does occasionally venture into the area of the unsavory, for the most part, Pinsiders tend to be a heck of a lot more civil than the rest of the internet.

The problem I see with moving "adult" themes to a private area is that it would likely only apply to initial threads and posts, which doesn't really help prevent the more egregious stuff you're talking about.

And, if you do flag topics due to individual replies, you run the risk of burying a lot of good discussions behind a barrier, and you give the mischievous Pinsiders incredible power to sink topics just by posting something others might find offensive somewhere in the thread.

And then there's the issue of what people find offensive, and what constitutes vulgarity. While this is a privately-hosted forum, and the admins can set whatever limits on speech they want, the problem is that in several first-amendment cases, no one has ever been able to precisely define what obscenity is, and at which point is crosses the line. If we start weeding out posts that someone finds unsavory, pretty soon, everything is getting the banhammer.

I do have a few ideas, though, that may address your concerns.

1) Eliminate user names and require everyone to use a verified first and last name. I can't see that going over well with users, but people tend to be a lot more civil when they know their employer can find their posts in a Google search.

2) Set a rigid set of guidelines that the mods can spot-check threads to enforce: specific sanctions for posts of a racist, classist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic nature, or the posting of images that are of an explicitly sexual nature, or which portray violence.

Beyond that, though, I think that most parents know that they need to curate their kids' browsing.

#486 9 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

I did'nt even know who Bowen was until I googled his name....I play pinball at my house and on location, I don't give a shit about tournaments or expos.....he is just another pinsider, no more no less

Bowen is pinball's de facto ambassador. While it has taken an entire group of people to help bring pinball to the masses and help it to grow in popularity, Bowen has been the public face of organized pinball for quite some time. So yes, while he is just one of thousands of Pinsiders, I don't think anyone would consider him just any Pinsider...

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zsciaeount.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/opinion-adult-themed-topics-should-be-in-a-private-sub-forum?tu=zsciaeount and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.