Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 845 posts
  • 153 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Xerico
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

the master.jpg
    image.jpg
    TheOneInTheCrowd.jpg
    nelly.png
    wptbg.jpg
    deadhorse.gif
    some random guy.jpg
    dd.jpg
    d.jpg
    HOTGUYINRIVER.jpeg
    TWOHOTGUYS.jpeg
    HOT!.jpeg
    skill shot.jpg
    fonz-pinball-420.jpg
    kill everyone now.jpg
    sexy flounder.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dgarrett.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#534 9 years ago
    Quoted from eeperjesi:

Isn't this why we have tilt warnings? If you don't trust your kids not to look at the occasional boob on the internet, maybe it's time to take it away, because I can assure you, they are not coming to pinside for the adult content. If your child has a genuine interest in pinball, share the internet experience with them and be a better parent for it. To expect a largely middle aged, largely male community to keep things clean enough for you is an exercise in futility. If you are a middle aged male and have a problem with the occasional breast, it's time to take stock of your life. If you're a woman, it's nothing you haven't seen before and I'm sure you'll be fine.

I see the OP speaking out about it, is being a parent about it. I don't get why replies in threads need to toss in pics NSFW - its pinball, and usually topics about prices or repairs or gameplay that get hijacked with a pic, and then tons of replies about the pics - either, ooh I like that or man, I need to tilt this now. I agree that the point in making things better is to point it out, discuss it, and try to get a community response that's reasonable for everyone - I think BK's suggestion to tag it as a category, which lets both sides include/exclude that content. What's wrong with the idea?

#536 9 years ago
    Quoted from Daddy-o:

I think I am just going to make better use of the "ignore this user" button.

I've been doing that for a lot of names in this post. Thanks for the reminder of that feature.

#540 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

On Christmas Eve, my 13 year old nephew showed me "the horse cock video" on his phone.
    My other 12-15 year old nieces and nephews were already quite familiar with it and were shocked I did not know what it was.
    These kids all live in $700,000 to $1,000,000 homes and attend Catholic schools.
    If you think you are insulating your children from women in bikinis, nudity and bestiality, the only person insulated is yourself.

But we should be able to influence our pinball community website from not doing so, right? Robin, moderators, and we giving them direction - makes this "our" site for the pinsiders, - what you are missing, is that we all have some say over what pinside will be.

TILTed post. Sign in to be able to view TILTed posts.
    #544 9 years ago
    Quoted from bkerins:

This is a forum for pinball.

Thousands of new players are starting to play pinball, and presumably that means a lot of new people visiting Pinside. Does what they see here represent pinball positively or negatively? How many of them give up on the pinball community because of what they encounter in this forum?

This is well said. In another reply, I said its mainly about the community of us that make up pinside, as pinsiders, we all have a say, by suggesting to Robin, moderators etc., about what rules or standards we'll accept (or at least agree to live by to have an account here). Awareness of the community, and staying on topic, goes a long way.

#766 9 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

This thread is just a prime example of how much of a joke Pinside has become in the last year in terms of civility of posters.

When Robin said there were 25,000 pinsiders now, there seems to be many more distracting/harsh comments and opinions that simply beat up on other members. There is definitely more "chaff" to sift through now than there was a few years ago. Its a tough dig through garbage, to find a good comment on whatever topic, be it this one on how the community should think about being civil and mindful, or a catchy thread topic that looks good on the title and first few posts - but breaks down pretty quickly - regardless of the topic being new trends, market, mods or boutique projects. Seems almost every one gets hacked by someone trying to get a rise out of people (i.e. they like drama or attention, rather than being a community member that adds substance worth reading).
    I've been most helped by this topic of Bowens and reading all the posts, to make the highest use ever of my "ignore" and "tilt" features. Sad - but at least I can self correct the pinside experience through moderators, ignore and tilt - at least somewhat & way better than filter options on RGP.

#781 9 years ago
    Quoted from roffels:

This is a fun deviation. Are a lot of pinsiders good pinball players? I see this site mainly as a place for buying/selling/tech advice for pinball, and some hype for new games. But does the average collector put up good games? Proficient at drop catches/shatz inlane maneuvers/whatever? Most of the folks I meet that play, and play really well, don't have a table and do all their playing on location. They see this site more as a collector place than a gathering of people that are good at the game. Is that unfair?

I used to read pinside for finding out about repairs and meet other collectors. I also know a bunch of good players who have gotten tired of being here because of the noise, attacks, etc. Too much crap to sift through to find a gem or two. Players go to PAPA to find tips and videos from Bowen, or follow their pinball friends on Facebook. I haven't posted much on pinside in the past year, except for the last couple of weeks on a few topics I feel strongly about - that would make this community better. If the community on pinside drives away Bowen, Molly and others then what's left of the community is trending to be the ones who have taken over and made it more unpleasant to be around the forums. Its a virtual community - just like any place, it can be a nice place to live with people who are like-minded, or it can turn into a pit of junk if the folks that move in to town want to add the equivalent of strip clubs and bullying gangs or negative people. To me the community has attracted a lot of bad attitudes and manners, and I'm ready to move out too. I think Robin and other moderators should feel more obliged to force the rules and ban people - otherwise that's all you have after the "good" ones leave.

#782 9 years ago
    Quoted from Sc1f1:

It's just RGP with with a GUI. Pinside used to be more civil than this... then the trolls from RGP took over

But its easy to "ignore" pinsiders than it was on RGP. Plus I like the market, collections and stories - RGP was only a forum - and that only is a good as the community of members, which eventually got so bad, most of us left.

#784 9 years ago
    Quoted from jackofdiamonds:

Agreed.
    We know each other from back in the RGP days.Man it was brutal over there.Hard to express an opinion without your Mom ,wife,dog and yourself getting lambasted.Exchanges, that in real life ,would result in fistfights and cops being called for sure.
    The ultimate sin of RGP:Complicent in the removal of Clays guides.

Being better than RPG was a low hurdle - is that all we want as a community? A few less nastier attacks?

#793 9 years ago

The point is, while we have those 5 options, shouldn't people have to follow the rules of the pinside agreement, without having a Moderator catch all the violations? Would you say that for where you live, that there are cops and FBI, so why worry about rule-breakers? what kind a community does that become. I think Bowen is simply asking pinsiders to be polite and mindful of their neighbors. Doesn't seem like censorship when all he is asking is to be civil.

#803 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

You guys would hate the fishing forums.

sexy flounder.jpg 14 KB

Quoted from vid1900:

It's Robin's site, so he will run it by the standards he sees fit.
    He is not in the USA, so he judges by Euro standards, not prudish American standards.
    I dare anyone complaining to start their own $45 a year G-rated Pinside and see if you get more than even 50 users.
    I will give the forum software and the forum artwork for free to anyone who has the balls to do it.
    Put your money where your mouth is, it's only $45....

Robin has set rules that people don't follow - that's my point. If people just followed the pinside guidelines, the moderators would have a much easier job.

#809 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

RGP I'd just Plonk Frankenfncker's post and I would only see them when someone quoted them.
    It could not have been easier.

Good point - and I did the same with FF.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dgarrett.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/opinion-adult-themed-topics-should-be-in-a-private-sub-forum?tu=dgarrett and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.