Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 845 posts
  • 153 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Xerico
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

the master.jpg
    image.jpg
    TheOneInTheCrowd.jpg
    nelly.png
    wptbg.jpg
    deadhorse.gif
    some random guy.jpg
    dd.jpg
    d.jpg
    HOTGUYINRIVER.jpeg
    TWOHOTGUYS.jpeg
    HOT!.jpeg
    skill shot.jpg
    fonz-pinball-420.jpg
    kill everyone now.jpg
    sexy flounder.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bkerins.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#1 9 years ago

I posted this to the "Hottest Girls in Pinball" topic, but I realize a lot of people may not be reading that topic for various reasons. I'd love to hear your opinions, and thanks.

Quoted from vid1900:

I attend many of the biggest pinball shows. I can count the number of women who are there alone (not babysitting their husbands), on one hand.

I feel this is changing, rather quickly. The level of diversity at pinball events isn't ideal, but it's way more balanced now than it was 5 or 10 years ago. My best guess is that about 100 women will be competing at Pinburgh 2015 (http://replayfx.org/competitions/pinburgh). None of those women will be there to babysit anyone.

Is it really true that the prevailing attitude among Pinsiders is that of vid1900's: "Good, don't get them involved"?

I know that I can "drain" a topic, but that doesn't change its visibility to others. In my opinion, topics with "adult" content should not be visible as part of the main forum.

When topics that frequently includes nudity and misogyny are repeatedly visible on the top page, it gives the public impression that nudity and misogyny is tolerated or encouraged. I know several people who have left Pinside completely because of this.

In its current state, I can't recommend Pinside to anyone due to adult content. Topics with adult content, including this one, should be in a sub-forum that is not visible to the general site visitor.

Thanks for listening to my opinion.

#19 9 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

I disagree.
    OP: how would you propose thread derails such as the "Machines woman love" that was started three weeks ago should be handled? I'm referring to where sex toys were referenced among pinball machines.

Posts like that have no relationship to pinball and do not belong in a pinball forum. They should be deleted or moved to a sub-forum for off-topic adult content.

What's the minimum age you would want someone reading Pinside? Based on what can be posted anywhere currently, the minimum age appears to be 18+.

I suggest a sub-forum similar to the current "Off-Topic Bar", but which is "off" by default to new users or those without logins.

#20 9 years ago
    Quoted from pinballcorpse:

Thanks for speaking out about it. Coming from someone of your stature hopefully will carry some weight in the community.

I would hope my opinion carries just as much weight as anyone else's, and no more.

#35 9 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

I don't want to restrict pinside to anyone. Bowen, do you have children? I have two. They learned about all of the stuff you are concerned with without ever viewing Pinside. By age 14 at the latest. Hard to shield them from everything.

I have a 6-year-old who loves pinball and loves to read. Do I expect him to learn about boobs by age 14... hell yes. At 6 I'm not leaving him alone to read anything on the Internet, but when it's time to give him more flexibility to read and learn on his own, Pinside is not now a community that I would want him learning from. And that sucks, because there are a lot of great people to learn from, some who are here, some who have left here, some who have never come here due to its reputation.

Quoted from bkerins:

When topics that frequently includes nudity and misogyny are repeatedly visible on the top page, it gives the public impression that nudity and misogyny is tolerated or encouraged. I know several people who have left Pinside completely because of this.

In its current state, I can't recommend Pinside to anyone due to adult content.

#111 9 years ago
    Quoted from pinworthy:

Ok I'm fairly new to Pinside and was a bit surprised by the some of the language and pics that are posted considering the forum was discussion of pinball. I am NOT saying I was offended just surprised because I belong to some automotive forums with some really lowbrow clientele and the language is filtered and pics are moderated, I guess I expected something different here. I'm a bit old school and don't think cussing holds much of a place in a forum where you have the time to think about and review what is posted before it hits the public eye. Posting NSFW or edgy pics seems out of place in most of the threads.
    I'm still learning about the "tilt" and "drain" features and they seem like great ideas but I do think a sub-forum where folks can "get it out of their system" has some merit. I have run boards like this and I completely understand how time consuming it is to moderate the content. The boards I have run and almost every other forum I have joined has a sub-forum for adult topics that requires additional membership which is great because I think everything has a time and place; just not all the time and everyplace.

This is better said than anything I've said about this, for sure.

I appreciate Robin's input for some clarifications on the site's policies, and it's clear the board operators have a difficult and thankless job.

I have been here 2 1/2 years and did not know about the site policies, especially any tilted posted being unreadable without login, and the policies on nudity. It looks like the default for logged-in users is 2 tilts before a post becomes marked. I do know that tilting others' posts is seen as uncool, I have seen arguments where users yell at others asking why their posts are tilted.

One suggestion is to make tilting posts anonymous. I realize this could be abused but the site could track or stop some weirdo who just decides to tilt everything. I don't know if there is a process for asking to have a post un-tilted.

My original point wasn't about kids (someone asked me if I had kids, so I answered), it was about the overall state of the community. If someone asks me where they can learn more about pinball, I can instantly recommend the IFPA or PAPA sites, or Facebook groups. I can't recommend Pinside to them because of the content, in both language and images. And I don't mean swearing, and I don't mean old backglasses. I mean stuff like this:

poster: "Is this salt water or fresh water?" <posts Hot-Girls-on-Private-Boats-2.jpg, off topic>
    responses: "Depends on were your tongue is." "There was water in that pic?" "....Son, your mother has breasts; Those are TITS!" "How much were the racks? The one on the right needs to make sure she has the updated non corrosive bags." None of those posts earned a tilt warning; ultimately a moderator shut down the topic.

In one of the posts on the current Page 1, today a post consisted entirely of a picture of a monkey staring at a woman's chest with the comment "fuck bananas, I want coconuts". The only one marking that post with a tilt warning was Robin.

Thanks again to the site creators and moderators, who work their butts off for this community. I still believe a private sub-forum would be an appropriate solution that allows anyone to post what they want while making this place welcoming to new members.

#131 9 years ago
    Quoted from jackofdiamonds:

Yeah but when I post 2 fully dressed dancers with the caption"Interactive Toppers" you freak out and ask to have me removed from a Facebook page.

I never asked to have you removed. You posted a photo of two dancers to a pinball group, with not even a pinball machine in the background, with the caption that the two girls were "interactive toppers". Here is the exchange, so that anyone can decide if I freaked out or asked to have you removed.

Bowen Kerins: Why is this here? Can we please not do this?

Scott Lano: Go go dancers for Pinball Girl. You just outted yourself as an uptight nerd whose whole universe is playing in tournaments. Lighten up

Bowen Kerins: Oh no! I'm a nerd! I'd rather be a nerd than to give the impression to half the population that pinball is not for them. This picture is crap and has no business being posted to the group.

Scott Lano: This photo is from the Pinball Girl 7" release party in NYC.the song was featured in PInball Donut Girl the movie as well as Wade Krause Pinball Artist the documentary .It has received positive feedback from almost everyone in the pinball community

Bowen Kerins: The "it" you refer to is a song, right? A song about pinball, used in movies, that's terrific. But that's not what you posted, is it? You posted a photo irrelevant to anything pinball except the hashtag "#pinballgirl" and the comment "interactive toppers". It suggests that this is the role women should play in pinball.

Scott Lano: The only thing that is crap is your attitude which will turn more people off to pinball than the picture I posted..... by the way.........ANYBODY can play pinball.You have a narrow and prejudiced view,and you don't get to say what represents pinball.#pinballgirl#interactivetoppers

Bowen Kerins: If pinball is for everyone, maybe we should help people feel welcomed in playing the games, instead of perpetuating a burlesque / strip-club association that will ensure that 95-99% of pinball players are men.

#208 9 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

And another thing; do outstanding pinball players get to make the rules here? How about those who are outstanding at repairing, restoring, saving games from the scrap heap; what if they want to weigh the balance beam to the other side and post girls in bikini/lingere pictures? Heck, there are quite a few outstanding players who have no problem with the issue that started this thread. Maybe we can have IFPA poll their top 1000 players and see what they collectively think. Make that top 2000 after January 1, 2015.
    A tilt warning alone for basically Vickie's Secret mall hallway posters and catalog photos is fine with me.
    If offended, those who are should be sure to use that V-chip in your divital teevees to block out most of what is on network and cable teevee. Also HBO on Thursday nights.
    Heck, I'm in a Holiday Inn in the Dallas Metroplex right now so this Thursday night I might get to see an episode of Cat House or Real Sex. Oh boy!

You must have missed the part where I said my opinion should carry no higher weight than anyone else's, though you have also argued my opinion doesn't matter as much because I donate my time and money to other efforts than Pinside. And that's fine.

Why do you consider pictures of women in bikinis or lingerie to be on-topic in a pinball group? I don't, and I feel that Pinside currently endorses this behavior and the comments that follow it. It sends messages about who is and who is not welcome here.

#218 9 years ago
    Quoted from DarthXaos:

OK I need to call something out here. Way too much casual usage of the word "misogyny".
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/misogyny
    Really? Are there really a lot of posts here that express a HATRED of women?
    The occasional sexist joke, or appreciation of the female form, or acknowledgement that Homo sapiens is a sexually dimorphic primate species with observed differing behaviors between the sexes is not
    HATRED of women.
    The art on Woah Nellie is not HATRED of women.
    Remember Dr. Matt Taylor and his shirt (made by a woman!). Do we really want to give a foothold to people to come in and attack say, Dennis Nordman and Greg Freres the way they did Dr. Taylor?

Art of Whoa Nellie, or commentary about it, fine.

But people said this in that thread (separate posts):

"Sexism: only ugly bitches complain about it."
    "Hot chicks love the game. It's only the insecure broads crying over cartoons."
    "If they can't take a joke, get back in the kitchen."

I didn't have to look very hard for these posts: just search for the ones with a huge pile of upvotes.

#219 9 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

I never said they were on topic. I do like them though. Pictures and the live versions.
    Also, I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night. Texarkana as a matter of fact. Next few nights in the DFW Metroplex. In town for the Cotton Bowl as Ballykid goes to Michigan State. Hope to play some pinball in the Lone Star State and hit Rudy's BBQ.
    Already had my In N Out Burger fix.

Mmmmmmm, In N Out Burger. Have a good week.

#405 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

On Christmas Eve, my 13 year old nephew showed me "the horse cock video" on his phone.
    My other 12-15 year old nieces and nephews were already quite familiar with it and were shocked I did not know what it was.
    These kids all live in $700,000 to $1,000,000 homes and attend Catholic schools.
    If you think you are insulating your children from women in bikinis, nudity and bestiality, the only person insulated is yourself.

This is a forum for pinball. The forums for women in bikinis, nudity, and bestiality are somewhere else.

Pictures of girls in bikinis from a pinball backglass, terrific. A picture of a girl in a bikini duct-taped to a wall, or a girl's legs being fed through a meat grinder? What the ...?

As wayner said, examples like these demean the whole pinball community. A friend said that a place like Pinside was a "unique opportunity to interact with other like minded individuals who are at remote locations to talk about a shared, common interest". And big thanks to Robin and the moderators for creating this space.

But this opportunity is going to waste. As it stands now, you can't just enjoy Pinside by being a fan of pinball. You also have to step through a pile of locker-room crap. It's a huge barrier: many people just don't want to deal with it, so they're gone. Others wade through it. Most of the feedback I've received from friends is that I should do what they did: leave. But I still wade through.

Thousands of new players are starting to play pinball, and presumably that means a lot of new people visiting Pinside. Does what they see here represent pinball positively or negatively? How many of them give up on the pinball community because of what they encounter in this forum?

TILTed post. Sign in to be able to view TILTed posts.
    #480 9 years ago
    Quoted from RonB:

Apparently not many, based on these numbers from Robin about 3 weeks ago:
    "At the end of November, there are 24,208 "real "Pinside accounts. That's the number of activated, non-blocked/banned/frozen/dupe accounts.
    Of those 24,208:
    ...13,330 Pinsiders logged on in the past 365 days
    ...5,977 Pinsiders logged on in the past 30 days (of those, 3,440 have made at least one post on the forum.)
    ...4,456 Pinsiders logged on in the past week (of those, 1,984 have made at least one post on the forum.)
    This year we have had between 7 and 35 new signups per day (depending on the day).
    As for new signups, this is the table:
    2001: 1 Pinsider signed up
    2002: 8 Pinsiders signed up
    2003: 572 Pinsiders signed up
    2004: 677 Pinsiders signed up
    2005: 379 Pinsiders signed up
    2006: 228 Pinsiders signed up
    2007: 214 Pinsiders signed up
    2008: 380 Pinsiders signed up
    2009: 883 Pinsiders signed up
    2010: 650 Pinsiders signed up
    2011: 2164 Pinsiders signed up
    2012: 5411 Pinsiders signed up
    2013: 6449 Pinsiders signed up
    2014: 6473 Pinsiders signed up (and counting!)"
    I'm not bashing you Bowen, or anyone else for that matter. I think you're a great player and love your PAPA videos, I've learned to be a better player because of them, thank you for that.
    But you must realize what you're up against here, the internet and thousands of users on this site alone. I believe this is a pretty well-run site here, yes there's a lot of crap to wade through, but you just have to learn how to "wade". How about all the threads where guys are arguing about price, condition, pre-orders, Lionman, etc., I don't care for much of it myself so I just move on to another thread.
    I apologize that I'm one of the offending users on this forum, and I'll be more aware of what I post in the future. But, I'm also a boy trapped in a man's body at times (especially on weekends), so forgive me for my late-night Avatar-induced postings that I'll try to delete in the morning.

I appreciate the discussion. I know the overall tone won't change, I'm just hopeful to move things a little. In the end, the majority rules, and I hope I made it clear that I don't feel I have any special status except as a user and a pinball fan.

We're all offenders. When I started posting on rec.games.pinball in 1992 there was a lot of talk about machine "rapes" and I ran with that, not thinking how it would sound to others. All we can do is think and improve, and I'm sure I'll offend again (probably offending someone right now).

Thanks, and much respect to you, to the moderators, and to everyone on Pinside.

#481 9 years ago
    Quoted from RonB:

Watch the language!

True! That's why I self-tilted! Interesting that follow-up posts that quote go around the tilt settings. Somebody call Robin!

#650 9 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Seriously, if you people aren't smart enough to filter what's right or what's wrong then I feel sorry for you.
    As for Bkerins, who cares whether you can "recommend a site" or not based on "adult content"....
    Have we lost our minds? Use some common sense for crying out loud. Filter it yourself if you need to.
    And the bottom line is don't be a whiny, little crybaby when something doesn't go your way or comport with the way you think or believe.
    Ignore it, or move on if you don't like it and get off your preachy soap boxes.
    I'm going to church tomorrow, I don't need this BS from any morality preachers here on Pinside!
    And if Pinside is all about 100% G rated Pezpunks then you can count me out.

When broadcasting for PAPAtv, it's among the most frequently asked questions in the chat, the video comments, and emails: what websites are recommended for someone who is getting into pinball? Perhaps Pinside isn't meant to be that place.

I'd like to think I haven't been a whiny crybaby in this discussion, but that's a matter of opinion.

As to my Facebook, I linked to the comment blondetall posted (and razorbak86 linked to), since I had not seen it before and thought it was worth sharing.

#770 9 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

Bowen
    Are you asking the internet to conform to what you deem suitable for your 6 year old son?

No. I've expressed my opinion enough, read back if you want. My opinion is that we deserve a community where this doesn't happen to its one female moderator:

Quoted from blondetall:

I personally know of two women who have left the forum recently because of bullying. I've gotten report after report asking what to do about the sexism here.

We know that if we say anything at all that can possibly be twisted into a sexual manner, it will be.

But after having a few nasty comments directed specifically at me, having a few forum members stalk me/go through my posted pictures/edit/post them to purposely embarrass me, and seeing the way that you all comment on any woman that isn't model perfect... I refuse to post any personal pictures here now. I also purposely hid from cameras at the couple of pinball expos I've gone to, and won't be attending the Chicago Expo and on stage with the rest of the moderators.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bkerins.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/opinion-adult-themed-topics-should-be-in-a-private-sub-forum?tu=bkerins and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.