Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 845 posts
  • 153 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Xerico
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

the master.jpg
    image.jpg
    TheOneInTheCrowd.jpg
    nelly.png
    wptbg.jpg
    deadhorse.gif
    some random guy.jpg
    dd.jpg
    d.jpg
    HOTGUYINRIVER.jpeg
    TWOHOTGUYS.jpeg
    HOT!.jpeg
    skill shot.jpg
    fonz-pinball-420.jpg
    kill everyone now.jpg
    sexy flounder.jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 845 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 17.
    #201 9 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

block out most of what is on network and teevee.

Phew! For a second there I thought you said Teekee!

#202 9 years ago

So agree all the adult themed stuff belongs in its own private sub-forum if it has to exist here at all. It's a shame that it's permitted on the forum in the first place.

#203 9 years ago
    Quoted from GravitaR:

So agree all the adult themed stuff belongs in its own private sub-forum if it has to exist here at all. It's a shame that it's permitted on the forum in the first place.

I don't think you have been paying attention.

#204 9 years ago

OK I need to call something out here. Way too much casual usage of the word "misogyny".

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/misogyny

Really? Are there really a lot of posts here that express a HATRED of women?
    The occasional sexist joke, or appreciation of the female form, or acknowledgement that Homo sapiens is a sexually dimorphic primate species with observed differing behaviors between the sexes is not
    HATRED of women.

The art on Woah Nellie is not HATRED of women.

Remember Dr. Matt Taylor and his shirt (made by a woman!). Do we really want to give a foothold to people to come in and attack say, Dennis Nordman and Greg Freres the way they did Dr. Taylor?

#205 9 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

this is total nonsense. men speaking up as allies of women is important. talking over women and telling them their opinions on sexism aren't valid - that would be crappy. but men staying silent on the issue is the same as implicitly condoning the status quo. get out of here with this "only women can complain about sexism" stuff.

Are you calling Bowen a woman? (KIDDING, this is a joke!)

Let's keep this civil. First, I'm sorry if I offended you. Truce?

I'm all for creating a comfortable environment where everyone is free to speak their minds, as I've stated in my prior posts.

All Im saying is making blanketed generalizations on behalf of YOUR IDEA (or someone's idea) of women is in and of itself a sexist statement.

I agree, I don't think staying silent about it is important, as I stated earlier, creating dialogue is the best way to combat the issue.

The TILT option is, for the third time now, a great feature to combat what is subjectively offensive, and the forums are a great place to engage in constructive dialogue about the issues.

So pezpunk, would you like to team up and TILT subjectively offensive posts together?

#206 9 years ago

If only one positive thing comes out of this thread, I put the above-referenced pin on my wish list, and if my wife had a pinside account, she would as well. It's gotta be in good condition though, with no wear on the naughty bits.

#207 9 years ago
    Quoted from DarthXaos:

OK I need to call something out here. Way too much casual usage of the word "misogyny".
    The occasional sexist joke, or appreciation of the female form, or acknowledgement that Homo sapiens is a sexually dimorphic primate species with observed differing behaviors between the sexes is not
    HATRED of women.
    Remember Dr. Matt Taylor and his shirt (made by a woman!). Do we really want to give a foothold to people to come in and attack say, Dennis Nordman and Greg Freres the way they did Dr. Taylor?

Nobody's attacking Whoa Nellie or Dennis or Greg.

#208 9 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

And another thing; do outstanding pinball players get to make the rules here? How about those who are outstanding at repairing, restoring, saving games from the scrap heap; what if they want to weigh the balance beam to the other side and post girls in bikini/lingere pictures? Heck, there are quite a few outstanding players who have no problem with the issue that started this thread. Maybe we can have IFPA poll their top 1000 players and see what they collectively think. Make that top 2000 after January 1, 2015.
    A tilt warning alone for basically Vickie's Secret mall hallway posters and catalog photos is fine with me.
    If offended, those who are should be sure to use that V-chip in your divital teevees to block out most of what is on network and cable teevee. Also HBO on Thursday nights.
    Heck, I'm in a Holiday Inn in the Dallas Metroplex right now so this Thursday night I might get to see an episode of Cat House or Real Sex. Oh boy!

You must have missed the part where I said my opinion should carry no higher weight than anyone else's, though you have also argued my opinion doesn't matter as much because I donate my time and money to other efforts than Pinside. And that's fine.

Why do you consider pictures of women in bikinis or lingerie to be on-topic in a pinball group? I don't, and I feel that Pinside currently endorses this behavior and the comments that follow it. It sends messages about who is and who is not welcome here.

#209 9 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Many areas of the world have laws allowing women to walk around topless just like men (like ontario Canada). Nude beaches are all over the world

Note to self: Book next vacation in Ontario, Canada.. then buy a good metal detector.

#210 9 years ago
    Quoted from bkerins:

Why do you consider pictures of women in bikinis or lingerie to be on-topic in a pinball group?

I'll tell you why. Because scantily clad ladies have adorned the artwork on pinball machines for more than half a century. It is part of pinball culture.

#211 9 years ago
    Quoted from bkerins:

Why do you consider pictures of women in bikinis or lingerie to be on-topic in a pinball group? I don't, and I feel that Pinside currently endorses this behavior and the comments that follow it. It sends messages about who is and who is not welcome here.

If I had my way that's how my game room would look all the time. Women are very welcome here, in bikinis or not.

#212 9 years ago
    Quoted from starfighter:

Note to self: Book next vacation in Ontario, Canada.. then buy a good metal detector.

Not only do women have equal rights to walk around without shirts in Ontario, but prostitution is legal too.

It's like a little slice of Europe in North America....

#213 9 years ago
    Quoted from bkerins:

Pictures of attractive women and raunchy humor are not a message that women are not welcome. There are plenty of women who appreciate cheescake art and raunchy humor.

#214 9 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Robin -
    One thing that would be helpful is the ability to re-hide a tilted post after you view it. Sometimes I'll click something that's tilted, because I'm curious, and it ends up being more over the line than I'm comfortable having up on my screen at the moment. It would be nice if I could just collapse it back down again. Instead I scroll past it.
    Personally I'm with Bowen on this. I come here to talk pinball. I love the community, and there's lots of great off topic stuff here too, and the jokes and whatnot keep this place from being dull and full of nothing but tech support, pictures of mods, and guesses about the next Stern.
    But I'm just not a fan of the random pics of tits. Sorry, I know people like tits. I like them too! Pretty sure as the guy selling the Helen translite I can't be accused of being anti-breast in any form.
    I'm not offended by Woah Nellie! either.
    But when threads turn into random pics of bouncing boob gifs it's a turn off. It feels disrespectful. Not only to the women reading the thread, but to the people trying to post their thoughts. It comes off as "blah blah, shut up, here, have some tits you babies".
    I don't think a sub forum is the answer. I think mandatory tilting works. Just make it clear that you need to self tilt boob pics. And people who love them can turn off their tilt settings. It's not perfect, but it does work for everyone.
    And remove the tilt stigmata. I've had people get mad at me for tilting their tit posts. Dude, that's what it's for, I'm not trying to censor you or shut you down. I work from home, there's no boss to come yell at me. But for the people sneaking in a little Pinside at work (I'm not judging!!) let's protect them.

+1

TILTed post. Sign in to be able to view TILTed posts.
    #216 9 years ago
    Quoted from bkerins:

I never said they were on topic. I do like them though. Pictures and the live versions.

Also, I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night. Texarkana as a matter of fact. Next few nights in the DFW Metroplex. In town for the Cotton Bowl as Ballykid goes to Michigan State. Hope to play some pinball in the Lone Star State and hit Rudy's BBQ.

Already had my In N Out Burger fix.

#217 9 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

image-3.jpg 96 KB

I love the Bon Voyage backglass. Even the flight attendant who shows some "snow". Sam Harvey had a spare one when I saw him a month ago. Too bad I flew in that trip as I had no way to get it home with me. Maybe if I drive in like I did this past June..

#218 9 years ago
    Quoted from DarthXaos:

HATRED of women.

Art of Whoa Nellie, or commentary about it, fine.

But people said this in that thread (separate posts):

"Sexism: only ugly bitches complain about it."
    "Hot chicks love the game. It's only the insecure broads crying over cartoons."
    "If they can't take a joke, get back in the kitchen."

I didn't have to look very hard for these posts: just search for the ones with a huge pile of upvotes.

#219 9 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

I never said they were on topic. I do like them though. Pictures and the live versions.
    Also, I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night. Texarkana as a matter of fact. Next few nights in the DFW Metroplex. In town for the Cotton Bowl as Ballykid goes to Michigan State. Hope to play some pinball in the Lone Star State and hit Rudy's BBQ.
    Already had my In N Out Burger fix.

Mmmmmmm, In N Out Burger. Have a good week.

#220 9 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

I love the Bon Voyage backglass.

Same here. One of my favorites. Hope somebody doesn't start a movement to destroy all these classic pieces of Americana just because they are no longer politically correct.

#221 9 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

Nobody's attacking Whoa Nellie or Dennis or Greg.

Yet. Pray that certain people continue to be unaware of its existence and how "problematic" it is.

#222 9 years ago
    Quoted from bkerins:

I didn't have to look very hard for these posts: just search for the ones with a huge pile of upvotes.

I disagree with the "ugly bitches" line as well as the "get back in the kitchen" comment. Both are so wrong.

#223 9 years ago

Bon Voyage backglass just got a tilt warning. LOL!!!!!!

#224 9 years ago
    Quoted from johnnyfive:

Not that I don't like boobies, but I come to Pinside for pinball. I have other outlets in my life for other interests.

I think the above statement sums up my opinion.

I would love to be able to check Pinside during breaks at work, but behind the government firewall I simply can't. I'm not saying we should censor things, the "tilt" function is pretty cool. What I am saying is that a lot of people here need grow up a little and clean up their posts.

#225 9 years ago

No, a picture of a woman's crotch with a "insert coin here" belt buckle above it in response to a post about how a donation should be made got the tilt. That's a big difference from, for example, a picture of the whole backglass in a thread about favorite EM backglasses (or whatever).

Nobody wants to destroy backglasses, but the focus of the content and the context it is in makes a difference as to what it means.

#226 9 years ago

Lots of people saying pinside needs to grow up.

Lol.

It's a pinball website. If we grew up we would cease to exist.

#227 9 years ago
    Quoted from bkerins:

I'll give you the first one as potentially misogyny (although it would be dependent on speaker and tone)
    The second two are definitely sexist, but not necessarily misogynist.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sexism

And that was the main point of my post. Don't say misogyny when you mean sexism. Especially when referring to definition 2.

behavior, conditions, or attitudes that foster stereotypes of social roles based on sex

Now whether those stereotypes are or not true, or are rooted in biology, is a different conversation, one on which reasonable people can disagree. But it is disingenuous to hold that anyone who has any amount of sexism actively HATES ALL WOMEN, and that's why I have such a problem with people throwing around the M word.

#228 9 years ago
    Quoted from XOX:

Nobody wants to destroy backglasses, but the focus of the content and the context it is in makes a difference as to what it means.

There, fixed it for ya. Bon Voyage!
    image-14.jpgimage-14.jpg

#229 9 years ago
    Quoted from DarthXaos:

I'll give you the first one as potentially misogyny (although it would be dependent on speaker and tone)
    The second two are definitely sexist, but not necessarily misogynist.
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sexism
    And that was the main point of my post. Don't say misogyny when you mean sexism. Especially when referring to definition 2.

Now whether those stereotypes are or not true, or are rooted in biology, is a different conversation, one on which reasonable people can disagree. But it is disingenuous to hold that anyone who has any amount of sexism actively HATES ALL WOMEN, and that's why I have such a problem with people throwing around the M word.

You're splitting hairs. Reinforcing sexism is expressing hatred for women as far as I'm concerned, especially when one has to run to the dictionary to defend themselves as merely descriminating against them and reducing them to sex objects, not hating them. Sorry if I don't really appreciate the distinction.

#230 9 years ago

Good god. Beautiful women have and will always be a part of pinball culture.
    If any person realizes a topic on here that might offend them, then they shouldn't click on it.

#231 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Not only do women have equal rights to walk around without shirts in Ontario, but prostitution is legal too.

Where is this? I think they passed that law because there are only 15 days out of the year where it's warm enough for people to walk around with their shirts off.

No matter what the topic, or where it's at, your always going to have someone that disagrees with this or that. Can't please everyone.

Sex sells, and sex has sold and been a target advertisement for as long as pinball has been around. The artwork reflects it through the generations. So to say that sex and pinball don't go hand in hand, would be like saying beer and nudity really arn't associated as well. Or cars.

#232 9 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

There, fixed it for ya. Bon Voyage!

image-14.jpg 43 KB

SACRILEGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#233 9 years ago

My bad

#234 9 years ago
    Quoted from theBRAIN:

Good god. Beautiful women have and will always be a part of pinball culture.
    If any person realizes a topic on here that might offend them, then they shouldn't click on it.

Congratulations on your prescience. Must be awful damn convenient to know every post in a thread prior to opening it! Guess that explains your username there, Powder!

#235 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Vid was that you going topless next door to me the other day?

#236 9 years ago

So this is my 10 year old working on the Gorgar display. It sure would be nice if he could maybe come onto Pinside and find the answer to his question about a pinball repair. Todays kids are exposed to a lot more than we ever were, but I would have to forbid it. Why? It is not the occasional woman in a bikini or lingerie. No that is all around us everyday. My worry is that some moron posted a gif of someone humping a pinball machine, or other vulgar act. He does not need to see that. I am not a prude and enjoy nudity as much as the next guy. But when I joined this pinball group I agreed to leave that crap at the door. Heck, we all agreed to leave that out of our postings. But apparently there is a whole group that has the maturity level of Beavis and Butthead and just cant control themselves. It is very sad that this type of behavior exists on this site.
    Mark

photo 1 (7).JPGphoto 1 (7).JPG
    #237 9 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

You're splitting hairs. Reinforcing sexism is expressing hatred for women as far as I'm concerned, especially when one has to run to the dictionary to defend themselves as merely descriminating against them and reducing them to sex objects, not hating them. Sorry if I don't really appreciate the distinction.

Neither of these statements reduce women to sex objects.

One expresses the opinion that an attractive woman is less likely than an unattractive woman to find certain art offensive, in un-PC language. Nothing about anyone being a sex object. Simply someone's hypothesis based on his personal observations.

The second statement certainly argues in favor of traditional gender roles, but not everyone who believes in traditional gender roles necessarily HATES women.

#238 9 years ago

That's amazing that a 10 year old is interested and knows how to service pins. My 11 year old is lazy and really stupid..... I think he gets that from his mother.

#239 9 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

Why did you have to make a second account to post your opinions in this thread?
    This account was made 3 hours ago.....mods please look into this

Granted, I mostly lurk and rarely post, in large part due because I feel that the lax moderation leads to lots of trolling and noise. If you dismiss my opinion because of that then fair enough. But just to be clear, I registered in August 2013, and I do not have any other accounts here. I'm not sure where you got the idea that my account is three hours old. Maybe you are looking at the last login date instead of the creation date.

#240 9 years ago
    Quoted from SuperPinball:

That's amazing that a 10 year old is interested and knows how to service pins. My 11 year old is lazy and really stupid..... I think he gets that from his mother.

I laughed so hard coffee came out my nose

#241 9 years ago
    Quoted from Daddy-o:

So this is my 10 year old working on the Gorgar display. It sure would be nice if he could maybe come onto Pinside and find the answer to his question about a pinball repair. Todays kids are exposed to a lot more than we ever were, but I would have to forbid it. Why? It is not the occasional woman in a bikini or lingerie. No that is all around us everyday. My worry is that some moron posted a gif of someone humping a pinball machine, or other vulgar act. He does not need to see that. I am not a prude and enjoy nudity as much as the next guy. But when I joined this pinball group I agreed to leave that crap at the door. Heck, we all agreed to leave that out of our postings. But apparently there is a whole group that has the maturity level of Beavis and Butthead and just cant control themselves. It is very sad that this type of behavior exists on this site.
    Mark

Someone earlier had the idea of "kid mode" which would disable the ability to unhide a tilt. If this was an available option, and if self-tilting things like that was enforced, would that solve your issue if you could sign him up for his account in that "kid mode"?

#242 9 years ago

Got some PM's with suggestions and views from both sides of the argument. Some saying: don't destroy our fun! Others saying: please help keep Pinside about pinball and less noise!

I think some people misinterpreted some of my comments on this thread. I'm definitely not saying that I'm not going to do anything about the concerns that have been raised today (and also over the past months albeit in a less public setting). On the contrary. I care a lot but I'm simply trying to find a middle ground that works best everybody.

What I'm NOT gonna do is create a sub-forum as some sort of free haven inviting people to post raunchy pics and go all out with their memes and stuff. For starters, I feel responsible for the content on Pinside and secondly, I simply don't want to support such an environment.

Having to make a choice I would rather go for a somewhat stricter rules on what is allowed to be posted and what not. I know this is the unpopular choice, but so be it.

Looking back, a couple of years ago posting nudity on Pinside was considered okay. Heck, as many of you early Pinsiders know, the biggest endorser of such content (although always in the off topic section) was our first moderator! Back then, we had 150 members. Now we have nearly 25,000 and along with that growth we need to be a bit more considerate towards each other. If we can't, the growth of Pinside will be unsustainable. When we decided to forbid posting nudity there was a small uproar but it was quickly accepted and people moved on.

I hope that all the attention from this thread will bring some awareness of the existing tools on Pinside for controlling potentially offensive content. I will evaluate, and invite all of you to send in your ideas and thoughts on the matter via PM or in this thread. Personally I don't think it would hurt to have somewhat stricter rules of what is allowed and what not, especially when many posts do little more than trying to be funny at the expense of the thread subject and -even worse- at the expense of others.

To be continued.

#243 9 years ago
    Quoted from XOX:

Granted, I mostly lurk and rarely post, in large part due because I feel that the lax moderation leads to lots of trolling and noise. If you dismiss my opinion because of that then fair enough. But just to be clear, I registered in August 2013, and I do not have any other accounts here. I'm not sure where you got the idea that my account is three hours old. Maybe you are looking at the last login date instead of the creation date.

Hi ctx - you waited 4 months and just jumped right into the middle of "it" -Welcome!!

#244 9 years ago
    Quoted from XOX:

you are correct...my apologies

#245 9 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

But when threads turn into random pics of bouncing boob gifs it's a turn off. It feels disrespectful. Not only to the women reading the thread, but to the people trying to post their thoughts. It comes off as "blah blah, shut up, here, have some tits you babies".

I totally agree with this statement. I love boobs but they have no place in a pinball thread (unless associated with a machine) except to convey the above as Aurich stated.

My main concern is that we don't do anything to make women feel unwelcome since I truly appreciate their presence at tournaments and leagues. My wife plays and I want to see the continued increase in female participation.

I will say that the vibrator gif on the "Machines women like" thread was funny and kind of on topic for a thread which genuinely was listing machines women like. The silly thing about that thread is the thought that women like different pinball machines then men do.

As Coasterguy has said, let's just keep it classy.

#246 9 years ago
    Quoted from Daddy-o:

Hi ctx - you waited 4 months and just jumped right into the middle of "it" -Welcome!!

Your math is off...

#247 9 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Having to make a choice I would rather go for a somewhat stricter rules on what is allowed to be posted and what not. I know this is the unpopular choice, but so be it.

And for those that don't follow the rules?

Edit- I was going to post Gorgar's backglass, but I have done enough damage here.
    image-4.jpgimage-4.jpg

#248 9 years ago

I'm not comfortable with my ten year old on the internet unsupervised, personally. I don't have a problem with the T&A, the language, or the discussions that I've specifically seen on Pinside. It's when you get into the animal sex, the darker areas of sex (S&M, etc), abuse (WTH is wrong with all the folks posting that shit on Facebook and thinking that it's completely okay, anyways?), etc that I start wondering if I want to burden his brain with this shit yet.

Minecraft? Sure. Team Fortress? He's done fine - just wish I could convince him to get off the minecraft trader servers. Pokemon? Not a problem. Club Penguin? Him and my five year old play together, which is adorable. Forums of any kind? Hahahahha. Not yet.

For example, there was a nice ass picture on the infamous hottest girls thread. They (both my boys) walked by and asked why I was looking at a picture of a girl's butt. I said I wasn't, I was reading a thread and someone had posted it. One of them made a poop joke, the other one goes "Ewwww", runs with the poop joke and the next thing I know I hear "Mommy's friends like poop" as they walk away.

TILTed post. Sign in to be able to view TILTed posts.
    #250 9 years ago

Anyone that lets a ten year old on the internet unsupervised should not have an opinion in this matter. I'll never forget a few years back when my buddy's wife was looking for a fishing rod for his birthday. I was over his house and she googled Dick's Sporting goods. Man what a search result she got......

There are 845 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 17.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/opinion-adult-themed-topics-should-be-in-a-private-sub-forum/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.