Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 56 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by clg
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bobukcat.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from boagman:

Well, as much as I like the game, I'll give you "deepest"...but I'm pretty cynical about the "best" moniker. And this is from someone who thinks Keefer is a software genius.
Maybe things have changed recently, and if they have, I fully admit that I'm not "up" on the changes, but the software in WoZ is so mind-blowingly deep that it's not really understandable to any real degree without spending an egregious amount of time studying, asking questions, etc. It's *absolutely* not approachable in any real way. There's a ton there, perhaps, but no great way of understanding what to do, or how to do it. It's a fault, unfortunately, and I don't see that as "best" by a mile.
Aaron Grabowski tried to explain the best way to play the game to me one time, and he was about four sentences in when my eyes started glazing over and I started to understand why the game was frustrating to a lot of people, myself included. Playing the game *feels* like a million darned dollars, only in Chinese. Nothing really logically follows, much less flows. Yes, I've seen the "map". Doesn't really help. Super X is a complete and total mystery. Starting something simple like multiball should not be a mysterious chore that doesn't really make sense...there should be a pretty clear path, and there isn't.
While it *feels* like the best game I've ever played, it doesn't make any real sense, and so I don't play it for the most part. Sometimes, knowing when to pull on the reins and slow down can be the smartest move you make. If you run the horses at full tilt for too long, they die, and you're left stranded with a dead horse. To me, it seems like that's kind of the case with WoZ.

The ruleset is insanely deep but the basic subsets are not that hard to understand or achieve as long as you break them down that way. I can quickly explain to a noob how to start EC Multiball, how to advance YBR to get an extra ball, how to capture and rescue Dorothy and how to get the CB modes (Super X as you referred to it) as well as lighting and starting Munchkin modes. If you take those and pick your path to stacking them it's all you need for a good score - if you can hit the shots! Add in the witch hurry ups to get to Fireball and Melt the Witch (one of the best mini-wizard modes I've seen) plus HF multiball as goals and there you have it!

#43 8 years ago
Quoted from michiganpinball:

The big thing not many have touched on is that women and children play WOZ a lot. And I think many of these people would not play pinball AT ALL if it wasn't for WOZ. It think it brings in new players and additional coin drop. Instead of just robbing from another game.
So if your clientele comprises a lot of women and children I would say get one.

To your point I recently had a friend and his 10 and 12 y/o boys over and at first the boys had basically zero interest in playing any pinball, they were on their iPods playing games. Their dad and I started playing and challenging them to games and then they were into it. I have a fairly limited lineup but I thought for sure that Spiderman would be their favorite however at the end of the night it was WOZ they kept playing and said was their favorite. I was surprised in a way so I asked them if they had ever even seen the movie and they both said "oh, yeah!" right away.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Spokane Valley, WA
Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Flipper Parts
FlipMods

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 91.00
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bobukcat.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/operators-is-wizard-of-oz-worth-it?tu=bobukcat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.