1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 months ago by murdock
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

Hi all,

I've to start operating route pinball a few weeks ago.
    I'm brand new doing it but it didn't take me long to realize that I need something that didn't exist for new and can be useful for a lot of operators.

My pinball is located around 250km away from home and since I'm currently looking if it's worth operating it and can't go empty the machine every week, I started to develop a device that.

In fact, I will add a small device to the pinball and every day, that device will send automated information to a website/email and from distance, I will know exactly how many coins have been added to the machine and this to every day even every hour if I want.

I think with the help of some programmers, I can possibly expand the device to do test routine and send the result from distance. This means that has operator, you can track if one of your pinballs is having a problem before going to see it.

Is that something that can be interested you? let me know!

#2 1 year ago

I'm curious.

#3 1 year ago
    Quoted from berlouts:

Hi all,
    I`ve to start operating route pinball a few weeks ago.
    Im brand new doing it but it didnt take me long to realize that I need something that didn`t exist for new and can be useful for a lot of operators.
    My pinball is located around 250km away from home and since Im currently looking if its worth operating it and can`t go empty the machine every week, I started to develop a device that.
    In fact, I will add a small device to the pinball and every day, that device will send automated information to a website/email and from distance, I will know exactly how many coins have been added to the machine and this to every day even every hour if I want.
    I think with the help of some programmers, I can possibly expand the device to do test routine and send the result from distance. This means that has operator, you can track if one of your pinballs is having a problem before going to see it.
    Is that something that can be interested you? let me know!

I am interested

#4 1 year ago

250km away? Do you have somebody local who will be helping out with stuck balls and minor things?

As for getting coin drop info, I bet something could be done with anything tiny (Arduino, Pi) with wifi. I'd imagine it wouldn't be too hard to it to register coin switch hits and record or report that to something.

#5 1 year ago

Yes, I have someone in place desert and yes it`s done using a Pi, with Python coding and Mixpanel to track the revenue.
    I will give you more information when everything is set.

#6 1 year ago

I'm def interested. I'm curious at a histogram of earnings to see when the most coin drop is occurring. I'm a total data junkie.

#7 1 year ago

Me too, that`s why I got that idea...
    Ideally, the next step will be to find how the devices can start all pinball test and send the result to the operator.
    That would be great but way more complicated

#8 1 year ago

I had an idea once to be able to remotely dump the RAM contents of a game via wifi. Then you could see if there is a credit dot, coin drop, etc.

Never followed through or even thought of how it would be done.

#9 1 year ago

By your title, I was afraid you were working on a Bitcoin system for pins!

#10 1 year ago

This is something cool... is this available on Jersey Jack machines- seems like something they could/would do. Certainly the have the tech in the games to do this.

#11 1 year ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

I had an idea once to be able to remotely dump the RAM contents of a game via wifi. Then you could see if there is a credit dot, coin drop, etc.

This is a great idea. I'm curious how you could control the MPU to get it to dump the data though. I think you could just measure the meter clicks from the simplest stand point and just collect them. You would miss the free games etc but you could at least plot our your earnings. Most games have a credit meter signal so it could be a nice universal fit also. It could just count meter clicks and an associated time stamp and upload it to a web server.

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from fattdirk:

I'm def interested. I'm curious at a histogram of earnings to see when the most coin drop is occurring. I'm a total data junkie.

I would guess my location gets the most play while I'm running tournaments, but would love to know what other days/time ranges my games get the most play. I collect on the same day every week, so my week to week data is pretty convenient already.

#13 1 year ago

In fact, for now, I don`t plan to control the MPU at all, I just plan to connect to the coin micro switch so each time that coins will pass through, It will be count by the computer.

The device will be connected to the WiFi and will dump data the website few times/days with the time stamp for every entry.

If I can find how to connect to the credit meter, that would be great but I don`t know where.

That system can expand further and If I was pinball constructer, you can`t imagine where my ideas can push this,,,

#14 1 year ago

As a personal knowledge, what range of revenue are you looking for per day?
    I would like to know if my target revenue is reachable or above reality?

#15 1 year ago

to bad payrange doesn't count actual coin drop, then you wouldn't need to do anything.

#16 1 year ago
    Quoted from berlouts:

As a personal knowledge, what range of revenue are you looking for per day?
    I would like to know if my target revenue is reachable or above reality?

it really depends on your goals.

Dialed In Limited Edition $9000 USD

100% of coin drop kept by owner (arcade owner). not taking into account maintenance cost, electrical costs, rent per sq ft, etc. Purley machine cost

to have a machine paid off in a year $25 per day (365 days a year)
    to have a machine paid off in two years $12.50 per day (365 days a year)
    to have a machine paid off in a year $8.25 per day (365 days a year)

50/50 split with the location would double all of would double all of that

now, you could go with a cheaper game

Guardians of the Galaxy Pro

$5800

100% of coin drop kept by owner (arcade owner). not taking into account maintenance cost, electrical costs, rent per sq ft, etc. Purley machine cost

to have a machine paid off in a year $16 per day (365 days a year)
    to have a machine paid off in two years $8 per day (365 days a year)
    to have a machine paid off in a year $5.50 per day (365 days a year)

50/50 split with the location would double all of would double all of that

the other thing to remember is that the machine itself will have some value at the end of the 3 years. let's say it holds 50% of its original value, now you can cut all of your day's intakes in half.

All that being said, this would only net you breaking even on the game itself, doesn't leave anything for maintenance, overhead, profit, etc.

#17 1 year ago

Just have the person send you a pic of audits or do a dumb to usb and send you that with payment.

#18 1 year ago

hocuslocus , thanks, thats mostly the same calculation that I did. I need more data from my pin in order to see if thats viable on the long term. I wouldn`t expect to pay off a brand new pin in a year but 2 years seems a great goal to achieve.

For now, I have an old pin and looking to pay it off in a year... if it`s the case then the business plan is working. The only problem with an old pin is the maintenance cost.

Zentron, I don`t think that my 1989 pins has USE port in it

#19 1 year ago
    Quoted from fattdirk:

This is a great idea. I'm curious how you could control the MPU to get it to dump the data though. I think you could just measure the meter clicks from the simplest stand point and just collect them. You would miss the free games etc but you could at least plot our your earnings. Most games have a credit meter signal so it could be a nice universal fit also. It could just count meter clicks and an associated time stamp and upload it to a web server.

Controlling the CPU would be interesting. Specially retrofitting an old system. Maybe something that plugs into the CPU socket. When the wifi adapter gets the signal it forces the main game's CPU into /RESET while some other microcontroller reads back the ram sends off the 64K file through the internet connected wifi. The adapter then lets go of the main game's cpu's /RESET

Something the OP proposed would be a lot easier to implement hardware and software wise.

#20 1 year ago
    Quoted from berlouts:

The only problem with an old pin is the maintenance cost.

old pins can be reliable, if not more so. you just need to put the time in before bringing it out. Learned that when I tried bringing a revenge from mars that wasn't ready. Had problems with that damn thing week after week, finally took it out. The next few were "bullet proofed" and have had very little issues with them. tore them down, cleaned, test/replaced coils, rebuilt with new parts, leds, nvram, lithium or coin cell, replaced all ecaps, rectifiers, regulators etc..
    also check bulletins and forums to see what other common issues people have had with a particular game and fix it before it becomes an issue. fixing stuff in a dark bar or arcade is a pain in the ass.

Curious to know what you come up with for the counter. I thought about doing something similar, but it was mainly to let you know if the game was off during on hours or if it was being abused (hooked to a tilt/shock sensor). maybe it would let you know if the coin door was open. never moved past the idea phase.
    good luck

6 months later
    #21 11 months ago

Any updates on this? I am interested. berlouts

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 10.50
    Playfield - Protection
    The MOD Couple
    $ 75.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 229.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Tilttopper
    $ 6,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 5.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Chrome Candy
    $ 28.95
    $ 199.99
    $ 239.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 18.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 66.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 7,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 21.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 24.95
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 45.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 19.95

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside