(Topic ID: 158038)

Operator Opinion: 1 Newer Stern Pin or 2 Older Pins?

By CookyJar

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 31 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by CookyJar
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Which set if pins for a location? Spending range $4000- $4500”

• 1 Newer Stern (ST, XM, TWD, GOT, WWE, IM, etc) $4000- $4500 15 votes
    48%
  • 2 Newer Sterns (RCT, Monopoly, WOF, etc.) $2000 - $2500 each 3 votes
    10%
  • 2 Older Pins 80s - 90s (WW, ES, HS, TFTC, etc.) $2000 - $2500 each 7 votes
    23%
  • 2 Mix of Newer Sterns and Older 80s - 90s machines $2000 - $2500 each 6 votes
    19%

(31 votes)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cookyjar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

Just starting to stick my toe from the player/restorer side to the operator side and I have a question for operators.

I have two games on location in a local comic book store and they are interested in expanding the line up. Currently I have around $4000 -$4500 to play around with. My question is should I go with 1 Newer Stern (ST, XM, TWD, GOT, WWE, IM, etc) that are around $4000 or so price range lightly used? Or go with 2 older Stern machines (RCT, Monopoly, WOF, etc.) that run around $2000 - $2500 or 2 older Williams System 11, Data East, Sega from the late 80s to mid-90s that are around the $2000 - $2500 price range?

I'm estimating that the newer Sterns can be set at $1 per play or $2 for 3 plays and the older machines would be $.50 per play or $1 for 3 plays. Keep in mind that this is a comic store, so comic friendly titles may like IM, TWD, might fair better. Also, the location is not super close by, so I'm also looking for dependability, so I'm not fixing something every day.

#3 8 years ago

How do you edit a poll question? Meant for poll to read: Poll: Which choice of pins for a location? Spending range $4000- $4500

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from Kilowog2814:

(Not an operator, but a comic geek who's spent many many many many hours in comic stores)
In my opinion, get X-men. Iron Man is a great game for pinheads, but it's a beast. It eats your money and laughs at you.
X-men has a super deep code set which will entice people to come back again and again and again. Plus, if you got the better callouts that someone was doing, then it would have the music and voices that people are more familiar with.
Or TWD. It'll bring in the more casual people...
Just my 2¢

Cool, I appreciate comic geek opinions as well, being that I am one.

#14 8 years ago

Was thinking that, but it's a little above my price range. Plus it looks like a store customer bought one for the store, from what I've heard he's a noobie to pins (this is his first). So I 'll likely be the one servicing it when it breaks down.

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from Dr-Willy:

It all depends on how well your current pin is earning in there. What game is in there now and what does it bring in monthly. Also what is your split with the store

Doing a 50/50 split with the location and they have thrown in for parts cost. Currently just put in a really nice T3, so I haven't been able to gauge how well it does yet. I had a Space Shuttle in for a while and it was pulling in around $40 a week. However it started having some regular breakdown issues so I pulled it and put in the T3. I also have a Donkey Kong which is doing around $25 or so a week.

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from clg:

So many things to consider as all titles (new and old) are not equal and do not earn equally. Are you trying to do this to make more money or for fun? A lot of variables.
Newer games are easier. I go over my games very well and they play great but I must have at least one soldered component go out every other week with dried up solder on older games. Other odds and ends break too. Same thing happens on new games but a bit less frequent.
Keep in mind too that there is only so much money in the room so adding games may not raise the total amount you are making it may just split that cash over more games.

Having fun but also seeing if I can make some money. Kind of testing the waters to see if it's something that I'd like to get more into. I've enjoyed having them at my home, but also like to see the enjoyment that other people get out of playing them.

#19 8 years ago

They want to put more game in however they are dedicating the back of the store to the "arcade" area. At first when I put in the Space Shuttle, it was kind of in the middle of the store. So when you first walk in you immediately see it. Of course it was doing better business in that spot then the back where it's kind of hidden. I need to convince them to put up a sign or something to show that pins and arcades are in the back.

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from clg:

If you are after making some money find a new location. With earnings like that, a 50% split and a long drive you can do a lot better. I know people here always talk about how they don't earn but I am not sure I agree with that. Find a good pub and forget or seriously rethink the split. The games get people in and keep them there longer and they will make money off drinks. If they insist on a cut put up some bar tabs each month for the high scores. I always factor in the cost of my time, the parts and depreciation and that needs to keep me solidly in the black or it is not worth it.

It's close to my work, which is the bit of a drive. So I only go to collect/service after work, otherwise it would definitely be a loosing proposition.
Pubs/bars worry me that the machines will take more a beating, at this location they are generally respectful of the machines.

#23 8 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Why not if you are buying the equipment.
Will the location justify more games, or are you spreading the same income over more games.
You'll need to figure this out. Or learn it.
LTG : )

You're right I am the one laying out the cash.

The location is fairly new, I only put my game in a week or two after they opened. They are still finding a solid foothold and customer base. It's a fairly affluent neighborhood, but does having money to spend turn into game play dollars? So I guess like you said I'll have to figure it out/learn it.

#30 8 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Does your contract stipulate the games must be on when the store is open?
If your goal is to make money why doesn't your contact specify you're the only company providing amusement devices in the place?
If the location owner sees you making money, they will kick you out in a heartbeat and buy their own games.

No contract, just a handshake agreement (I know, I know, rookie mistake). I'm a friend/co-worker with one of the guys who is a silent partner in the comic store, so that's how I got involved.

#31 8 years ago
Quoted from PINQUEST:

Have to go with the theme, need to remember the target market. Comic store. I agree x-men, spider man, anything that has ties to comics. We have 10 machines in a location(brewery). 1WMS and the only people that play it are pin heads. My sterns do awesome, popular themes. Simpsons, monopoly, walking dead, kiss, South Park, super mario(money printing machine). People feel better dropping 1$ for a newer machine. You would have to set older machines for 50c. I new stern at 1$ per play will do the same as 2 old wms at 50c and you are not risking people saying wtf is this game?

Yeah, I think the name recognition factor will definitely drive up interest, especially with non-pinheads. When I had Space Shuttle running a lot of people where playing it out of the "Wow, I have seen pinball machine in forever! Let me throw a couple of quarters in it." fascination. I'm just not sure if that will carry over into repeated play over time.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Yonkers, NY
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 46.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 78.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RRB Crafts

$ 9.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cookyjar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/operator-opinion-1-newer-stern-pin-or-2-older-pins?tu=cookyjar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.