Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 64 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by flynnibus
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

6b56c2593cac1b892c6329b886b6d6a89ee485c1 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goatdan.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#30 6 years ago
    Quoted from Bud:

Not normal, besides, AC/DC came out in 2012, almost 8 years ago and is a good design/coded/themed machine. The average for 8 years is $260 a month, 7 years is $297 a month. I'd say that's on point. Now start subtracting house take, maintenance, parts etc. Seems like good numbers is you had 15-20 pins that were purchased when pins were around $5k for a premium. Unfortunately most machine coming out today aren't as good as AC/DC and they cost more.

But that's actually, like, five years ago. $416.67 / month on average.

If you split that 60/40 with the house (which, by the way, is a relatively poor split nowadays if the locations want newer equipment, 70/30 or even 75/25 have become common among locations I know that want newer stuff), you're making $250 / month. Even if you were guessing at $75 / month on maintenance which would be high, you have made in coin drop:

$175 * 12 months * 5 years = $10,500.

The game probably cost $6,000, so you profit about $4500, and that profit is achieved after year 3.

Which, if you look at just that part, I would argue it backs up your argument pretty solidly. It's not terribly efficient for the spent.

But, if you operate pins, you need to actively think about the sale price of those games. No game that is even 10 years old has depreciated to a wild extent, even routed. Let's pretend you only got half of your purchase price for the sale, which would be a worst worse case scenario that hasn't really happened since the early 2000s. You now have $4500 + $3000 = $7500, or $1500 / year of average profits on a machine.

If you factor in that part of it, routing isn't nearly as bad. Having said that, some machines work better and some work worse in certain locations. If you're not earning enough for the new games to make them useful, get some older ones if they work better! You need to know your location and do what works the best for that particular location. Certain locations don't work with the older games at all. Others flourish.

Good luck, I don't think it's easy, but I do think it can be done.

#52 6 years ago
    Quoted from Bud:

That's all good and well if you started out with a large capital or could continue to purchase machines or you had exceptional coin drop. I'm not a business degree holder, but I don't think any business can expect to purchase items and sell at 50% to turn around and buy new machines at higher prices and repeat the discounted sale. At some point you'd run out of money or your profit would be severely decreased if not wiped out.
    The only way I can see this current situation working out as a sole income business venture is a good location that doesn't involve any sort of split. In other words, the operator also needs to be the location owner or have a location that is satisfied with the increased traffic of patrons due to the machines and is ok with not taking any money from the pins.

Quoted from Bud:

Couldn't have said it better!

It's odd to me that flynnibus basically said the same thing that I was, and it seems you flipped your opinion of it. Or maybe I don't understand what you meant in the first response.

I was arguing that coin drop pays for your depreciation and then some, then when the earnings for out in a worst case scenario you sell the game for 50% of its original price. The game earns that entire time, thus your profits. When it drops earnings, you sell the game (or, as Flynn put it, the mule). If you do it right, this works just fine.

But again, and what it seems like people kiss, this is wholly dependant on your locations. Some locations you can put F14 into and make similar coin drop to putting in a new Dialed In. Others that Dialed In will make you gobs of money more than the old game.

Some locations want specific machines, or the latest and greatest, and are willing to divvy up the coin box far more in your favor if you can provide that.

Everyone wants a simple answer, but there are no simple answers in routing. If you aren't making money though at the current rates, and the ideas to make money you don't think will work for you for whatever reason you know your business best.

#61 6 years ago
    Quoted from Bud:

My opinion remains the same, it never flip flopped. I was simply trying to say that no money has been made until the depreciated value has been paid off from what the machine earns. That is the break even point monetarily if one was to ever sell the machine off.
    A common misconception is that regardless of a machines cost, the operator can just "sell" it and go buy a better machine. My whole argument is that every time you sell a machine, you are loosing money (unless it was like the AC/DC example given earlier) due to depression because you have to turn around and take that money from the sale and add more money to get another machine. Even at that break even figure, if an operator was to sell, he basically worked for nothing for that machine. Time buying, transportation, set up, maintenance etc. cost something.

I think you mean you're losing money due to depreciation, but like I showed with the original explanation, the machine should be more than covering depreciation with location coin drop. If it's not, then buying a new game would be absolutely stupid, unless your plan is to sell and replace with a cheaper, older game.

If you have a game making money like that ACDC, I was pointing out how you can make a decent amount by switching up the machines regularly and flipping the old. This doesn't work with every location, however.

A successful route would have a few locations where they want the new shiny games regularly, a few decently earning locations that they don't, and more going further down the earning hole. Then, you don't sell, you just keep rotating and hopefully gaining new locations. I have a few friends with huge routes that do just this. The new games definitely don't make sense everywhere, but they buy a bunch every year for the places they do make sense. And they have even invested in some Premium games recently for the return they get from certain locations.

If you don't have the locations that support the new shiny games, you shouldn't be buying them for those second and third tier locations. You're correct, you'll lose money.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goatdan.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/operator-machines?tu=goatdan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.