Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 64 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by flynnibus
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

6b56c2593cac1b892c6329b886b6d6a89ee485c1 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cadillacmusic.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#12 6 years ago

The cost is killer, but the bugs really hurt too. We've been talking to Stern for weeks about our Star Wars losing monitor image after being on for 24 hours or so. They keep giving us code updates that don't work. It's a good location, for a pin, but we're losing money when a brand new machine is broken. Plus, it looks bad for the company when games are down.

That being said, I think two color games would be a terrible idea. Like it or not, I think the casual customer is attracted to the IP as much as anything. I'm sure the Star Wars license was expensive as heck, but people love hearing Yoda's voice. There just isn't a magic solution to make pinballs really profitable. People will go either for what the recognize, what's big and flashy, or what they can win a prize with. Pins don't really fit any of those descriptors without a big name IP.

#15 6 years ago

Wdennie, that's only true if you're going to a set arcade. Most operators have pins in bars, bowling alleys, and eateries. The idea is to grab someone's spare dollar on impulse, at least most of the time.

#58 6 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

You're not looking at the operating income side of it. The point of the machines is to generate monthly operating income. They are mules... whose job it is to pull in the quarters.

I like to think of our machines as horses. You got your workhorses, like our T2, that have been out in the field almost 30 years now, and are beat to heck and back. They still play fine, and can earn money, but the years of corners breaking off plastics and scrapes on the side art take their toll. Kids climb on them, people stuff pennies in the coin slots, they get band stickers stuck on them and folks throw up on them. They just keep ticking along.

Then you have your show horses. These are the home use machines. They operate flawlessly, and never get hard use. People brag about them to their friends. The problem is that Stern has to make a machine that can be either a work horse OR a show horse. For limited funds. It can't be an easy task. I just wish show horse owners would understand that our machines aren't going to look and play quite as fine as theirs.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cadillacmusic.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/operator-machines?tu=cadillacmusic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.