4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 77 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by cody_chunn
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider inhomearcades.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 4 years ago

Simple request is to turn off the attact sound, keep volume where it is for game play. It's what players want and if the bar doesn't like it then have it removed.

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

Playing a pin with low volume sucks. However, the location owner's wishes should rule, not the op.

It should matter what the owner wants, not what a bartender wants.

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from fiberdude120:

You sound like a great boss. I bet people just line up to work for you.

Actually they do.

If you look at things more than black and white, it's about being a good business owner first and second a good boss. Customers want the game to have volume so they can enjoy playing the machine, thus the reason why it is there in the first place. Just because one of my employees doesn't like the sound from the machine while it is being played, well that's too bad. I bend over backwards for my employees, but I'm not going to take away from my customers to please them either. The customers are the people that pay both my salary as well as my employees.

Thanks for your well thought out and intelligent comment though. It's self centered employees like you who never seem to work out.

#20 4 years ago

No it is your comment that I picked out it read,

So what you are saying is that he is just a worker and doesnt have a say on what goes on around him.
    I am 55 years old and have been working since I was 19 years old. I am on my second job now so I will say I work out just fine.

I am saying that his say comes after the customers. I do not know a single person who doesn't want to hear the pinball machine they are playing. Beyond that the reason the machine is there in the first place is for the customers to play. So just because the bar tender finds it annoying, doesn't mean he should request an operator to make an adjustment to the machine. He should talk with the owner first, explain why he wants it adjusted and go from there. If he doesn't respect the owner enough to include him in the decision making process than why should the owner?

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from JoeGrenuk:

I'd try an "Out of Order" sign taped to the glass.

That's passive aggressive bs. It's there for your customers to play and enjoy. If the owner or manager of the bar requests it to be turned down and the op will not, it's very easy to have it removed. Nothing looks worse in a bar with games with out of order signs on it.

#26 4 years ago

I don't believe the OP ever said that his brother is the bartender. Perhaps he is the manager of the said bar, but that does not matter at this point. I am just saying that all employees opinions count.

I never said they did not. There is a hierarchy that should be followed and this employee took it upon himself to do what was best for him, not his customers not the owner. That's not okay. Also taping things to the game is not okay. Again it's there for customers to enjoy and play, if the game is not providing enjoyment to said customers, simply have it removed but do not tape anything to something that you do not own.

#28 4 years ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

How many OPs are running pins these days? I'm guessing that finding another pin op might be harder than you think...

I believe he was referring to the employee.

#44 4 years ago
    Quoted from Azmodeus:

I like the unplug when not in use solution.

That is almost as bad as damaging the game. When a game is off no one will ask to turn it on to play it. They will simply think it does not work, beyond that, as pointed out a few times is the game makes no noise when not being played. So your going to unplug it for what reason?

#49 4 years ago
    Quoted from generica:

Posts here are offering things the staff can do to manage the volume. It doesn't matter whether these suggestions are rude or passive aggressive or whether you find them acceptable. The staff and owner are around the machine all the time, while the operator/serviceperson is only there occasionally.
    This gives the location defacto veto power over just about everything related to the games. The people who share the room with the game and their boss are your real customers, at least in the 'he who has the power to destroy the spice controls the spice' sense.
    Edit to add, not saying this is how it should be, but this is the reality of being an operator. It's a difficult job that often involves working with difficult people.

I think your missing the point that the "staff" is not the owner. The person in question is a staff member and the decision is not his. If in fact the customers or the owner wanted it turned down it is a completely different story. Focus on the facts and then make a comment.

The only time the game is loud is when customers a playing it. If customers did not like the volume they would not play it and this whole situation would be a mute point. However clearly customers enjoy and play the game at the volume it is at and just because that employee doesn't care for it, it is not the ops, owner or customers problem.

#50 4 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

When I worked for a route op there were a few snack bar attendants at a drive-in theater who despised the evil pinball machines. They knew how to take care of them; they cut the line cord flush with the cabinet. After the fifth time, we pulled the machine.

That's when I start charging the location for damage and negligence. The owner or person paying that bill would ensure that it does not happen again. It's amazing how rude people can be when it comes to someone else's property.

#53 4 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

This was about 33 years ago. We had CONtracts with all locations. 50/50 split, we provide 24/7 service and all repairs were at our expense. Right in the signed documents. We also reserved the right to pull the machines at any time. If they kicked our machines out without a 30 day notice, all cash in the machines became ours.

Crazy how the tables have turned. I place almost everything on the location. Just not enough people out there any more willing to grind it out for the coin box take anymore.

#56 4 years ago
    Quoted from zizzlemeplease:

if its too loud ya aint old and deaf enuf!
    seriously, there is such a thing as too loud, the operator should listen to peoples opinions about his game at a location, and adjust for it. I like LOUD but I'd get annoyed pretty quick if the same sounds kicked in to drown out everything else all the time. if it makes talking or ordering food and drinks difficult, it might even steer some people from wanting to return to a location, would be very bad use of 2 yards worth of floorspace. the establishments workers and owner would know if its too obnoxious.
    if an operator refused request to turn it down some, "seeya!" have fun finding another location to move it to and abuse peoples eardrums with, if it's harmful to what'd be normal business. its supposed to be about making MORE money, not less. I love pinball, but can see this point too.

Totally agree. However as of right now it seems as though only the one employee doesn't like it. If however it is an nuisance to the bar and the owner sees it that way, it either gets turned down or the op can pick it up and it would be off until then and moved to the back room. From the OP it seems as though the one guy doesn't like it and to that I say too bad.

#60 4 years ago
    Quoted from generica:

Read my comment before replying to it please. The owner has veto power over everything related to the pin. Its his building. If he doesn't care, doesn't control his staff, that gives them the veto power. In my experience as a service person most owners don't care if their staff is messing with the game.
    The fact of the matter is, the op doesn't control the game. The people who are around it and the people signing their checks do.

You are assuming he doesn't control his staff and your assuming he doesn't care. Given the little information in the OP, it is made to sound as though the staff member doesn't like the sound level and he wants it changed. Not the owner, not the customers and definitely not the operator of the machine.

#68 4 years ago
    Quoted from stainedundies:

id try an out of order sign on your mouth

anyone who suggests vandalizing a pinball machine over something as trivial as volume needs to find another hobby.

if you unplug it when not in use it will remain not in use. the op wont make money, and patrons wont get to play. terrible suggestion.

yeah what a dumb ass, not letting the bar be in control of a machine that cost them thousands.

the fact of the matter is, the op controls the game. it is their property, therefore they are in control of it. just because you are around something does not mean you are in control of it. also, do you really think that pinball ops are receiving signed checks from bar owners as a form of payment? ive heard plenty of misconceptions about running a route but this one just blows my mind on so many levels... i dont even know where to begin explaining just how wrong you are... about everything.

It just got real.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 1,000.00
    Playfields
    Pinball Playfields
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 45.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    £ 31.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 109.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 11.95
    $ 189.00
    $ 54.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    € 279.00
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 29.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 7.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 225.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    € 4.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Multigame
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider inhomearcades.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside