4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 77 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by cody_chunn
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 77 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 4 years ago

My brother works in a bar in a small resort town. He visited me this week and told me they have an AC-DC pinball in the bar (since he knows I collect pins) and that my brother asked the operator if the operator could turn down the volume on the attract mode and/or play mode (not sure), because my brother thought it was too loud for him and/or the bar patrons (not sure) and the operator flat out said no. Seems to me like the pin should not rule the air waves in a bar where most folks probably want to hear the juke box and/or talk. What should my brother tell the Op, besides threatening to take steps to have the machine taken out. Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure my brother didn't mistake the Op's comment for meaning the volume can't be turned down any lower, but that the op wouldn't turn it lower; however, once again I am not sure how my brother "took" the Op's reply as he told the story to me, since my brother may think there was a low volume limit....we did not dwell on the story, but only later did I think about asking pinside for opinions about what to tell the Op, since clearly he could turn the volume down.

#2 4 years ago

If he refuses, just turn it off, and back on when people want to play it.

#3 4 years ago

Taping a piece of cardboard to the bottom of the cabinet, blocking the bottom speaker will significantly reduce volume without damaging the pin. The OP might not even notice.

#4 4 years ago

if its too loud your too old...

#5 4 years ago

I won't even play an AC/DC on location if the volume is turned down. I've walked away from 3 of them in different locations in the last few months.

#6 4 years ago

If he can't find the on/off switch... pull the cord.

#7 4 years ago

ACDC is an issue because of the large woofer in the cabinet. It's hard to dial in. To Razorbak86's point ACDC, Metallica, and even Tron are not as enjoyable without the music. Biggest complaint next to balls are stuck is volume. Some locations can be a real pain calling continuously about it being to loud or to soft.

#8 4 years ago

Simple request is to turn off the attact sound, keep volume where it is for game play. It's what players want and if the bar doesn't like it then have it removed.

#9 4 years ago

Playing a pin with low volume sucks. However, the location owner's wishes should rule, not the op.

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

Playing a pin with low volume sucks. However, the location owner's wishes should rule, not the op.

It should matter what the owner wants, not what a bartender wants.

#11 4 years ago

Put in a headphone jack.

Tape foam over cab speaker.

#12 4 years ago

i wont play a pin if it has low volume. thats a tournament complaint of mine as well.
    its also a proven fact that games with low volume dont earn as well as one you can hear.
    same with video games on location. sound is half the package..or sometimes more than half.
    mediocre game play with a phat sound package can really change a game.

it really pends how loud it is. what is "too loud".
    also, maybe the machine can move to a different spot in the location.

#13 4 years ago

PS there isnt an attract mode sound on any stern unless you hit a flipper button.

#14 4 years ago

+1 on taping cardboard over the speaker holes..

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from silver_spinner:

PS there isnt an attract mode sound on any stern unless you hit a flipper button.

I dunno my spiderman plays the old spiderman theme occasionally.

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from inhomearcades:

It should matter what the owner wants, not what a bartender wants.

You sound like a great boss. I bet people just line up to work for you.

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from fiberdude120:

You sound like a great boss. I bet people just line up to work for you.

Actually they do.

If you look at things more than black and white, it's about being a good business owner first and second a good boss. Customers want the game to have volume so they can enjoy playing the machine, thus the reason why it is there in the first place. Just because one of my employees doesn't like the sound from the machine while it is being played, well that's too bad. I bend over backwards for my employees, but I'm not going to take away from my customers to please them either. The customers are the people that pay both my salary as well as my employees.

Thanks for your well thought out and intelligent comment though. It's self centered employees like you who never seem to work out.

#18 4 years ago

Thanks for your well thought out and intelligent comment though. It's self centered employees like you who never seem to work out.

No it is your comment that I picked out it read,

Quoted from inhomearcades:not what a bartender wants.

So what you are saying is that he is just a worker and doesnt have a say on what goes on around him.
    I am 55 years old and have been working since I was 19 years old. I am on my second job now so I will say I work out just fine.

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

Correct. If the owner wants the game set to a certain volume you'd better abide by what they want. They get half the earnings and can replace you in a heartbeat.

#20 4 years ago

No it is your comment that I picked out it read,

So what you are saying is that he is just a worker and doesnt have a say on what goes on around him.
    I am 55 years old and have been working since I was 19 years old. I am on my second job now so I will say I work out just fine.

I am saying that his say comes after the customers. I do not know a single person who doesn't want to hear the pinball machine they are playing. Beyond that the reason the machine is there in the first place is for the customers to play. So just because the bar tender finds it annoying, doesn't mean he should request an operator to make an adjustment to the machine. He should talk with the owner first, explain why he wants it adjusted and go from there. If he doesn't respect the owner enough to include him in the decision making process than why should the owner?

#21 4 years ago

I am saying that his say comes after the customers. I do not know a single person who doesn't want to hear the pinball machine they are playing. Beyond that the reason the machine is there in the first place is for the customers to play. So just because the bar tender finds it annoying, doesn't mean he should request an operator to make an adjustment to the machine. He should talk with the owner first, explain why he wants it adjusted and go from there. If he doesn't respect the owner enough to include him in the decision making process than why should the owner?

I don't believe the OP ever said that his brother is the bartender. Perhaps he is the manager of the said bar, but that does not matter at this point. I am just saying that all employees opinions count.

#22 4 years ago

I fail to see how this is a problem? A pin you can actually hear in a bar location? Unheard of! Why would anyone want ACDC turned up??

#23 4 years ago

I'd try an "Out of Order" sign taped to the glass.

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from JoeGrenuk:

I'd try an "Out of Order" sign taped to the glass.

That's passive aggressive bs. It's there for your customers to play and enjoy. If the owner or manager of the bar requests it to be turned down and the op will not, it's very easy to have it removed. Nothing looks worse in a bar with games with out of order signs on it.

#25 4 years ago

No one will want to play AC/DC with the volume too low.

#26 4 years ago

I don't believe the OP ever said that his brother is the bartender. Perhaps he is the manager of the said bar, but that does not matter at this point. I am just saying that all employees opinions count.

I never said they did not. There is a hierarchy that should be followed and this employee took it upon himself to do what was best for him, not his customers not the owner. That's not okay. Also taping things to the game is not okay. Again it's there for customers to enjoy and play, if the game is not providing enjoyment to said customers, simply have it removed but do not tape anything to something that you do not own.

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Correct. If the owner wants the game set to a certain volume you'd better abide by what they want. They get half the earnings and can replace you in a heartbeat.

How many OPs are running pins these days? I'm guessing that finding another pin op might be harder than you think...

#28 4 years ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

How many OPs are running pins these days? I'm guessing that finding another pin op might be harder than you think...

I believe he was referring to the employee.

#29 4 years ago

Pretty sure it was the op.

#30 4 years ago

If I was the op I would move the game to a location that appreciated it. High dollar high maintainace game that is not allowed to earn to it's potential.

#31 4 years ago

Route pinball in NYC is mostly bar pinball and yes the games are turned down.
    Why?
    Jukebox,residual noise from patrons(talking,laughing),sometimes TV(sports),other games,both video and other pinballs.
    The volume of a particular game is way down on the list of things to consider when running a bar.

7B very popular bar,practically no volume.Everybody plays.

Jackbar super popular pinball bar, good medium volume,but with 9 games going plus bar plus music you can forget about hearing every little thing.

Route pinball is its own experience.

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

Unless your area of the country is totally different than mine, nearly all of the pins you see on location are being run by operators (with the exception of large pinball destination venues).

#33 4 years ago

90% of the time the volume is down (can't hear anything) because of the staff/owner.

was playing medieval madness in a place like that, couldn't hear anything, i walked away after one ball.
    but yeah, you can hear the slot machine/poker machine a mile away.

#34 4 years ago

There is a hierarchy that should be followed and this employee took it upon himself to do what was best for him, not his customers not the owner.

Agree with you fully, I can't tell you how many bartenders I have had try to tell me how to setup, move, adjust, etc, on my pins, jukeboxes, background music, games, etc.
    Almost always just to serve their own whims and preferences.
    "I don't like the Megatouch there" "we need better/different music for background"
    "that machine is too much to play" Etc,Etc..
    I've had to move machines because of this, only to move it back when the owner sees the revenue drop.(and never quite return)
    These things are for the owner and the operator to decide, because they are the ones who know the $$$$ end of it.
    I don't try to tell them how to tend bar, or take money out of their pockets!

#35 4 years ago

Take a Pen to the Speakers??

I hate games on location that are too low, never had one blasting loud

but in a small setting the OP should be respectful of the patrons as they carry the money to fill that Pin

#36 4 years ago

We have had similar issues with volume problems in the past. People come into a bowling alley to read and get upset with all the pinball noise. The management at my center are very good about it. They want the volume to be heard and to ignore the readers for a bus as they don't actually spend money in the place.

#37 4 years ago

Reading? At a bowling alley? My goodness. I'm sure Saint Paul is big enough for a library

#38 4 years ago

This seems to me like the one setting the bar owner should be allowed to mess with. They should have some kind of key that you can insert and that acts as a volume dial, so you don't have to open the front door.
    Bar owner gets that key, operator gets the regular one.

*Edit: and the operator gets to set a minimum volume too, how's that!

#39 4 years ago

we have an AC/DC on location and it doesn't even have an attract mode... anyway that machine is meant to be played loud...

if the owner agrees with your brother then he should reach out to the OP, who will more than likely just remove the machine since playing an AC/DC you can't hear would be pretty boring

also I love the people here suggesting destroying and/or messing with the machine in some way, when there are no location machines left to play don't complain

#40 4 years ago

I like the unplug when not in use solution.

#41 4 years ago
    Quoted from Azmodeus:

Why? There is no attract mode. So unless it has an incredibly loud humming DMD, or musical leprechauns living in the cabinet, it shouldn't make a lick of difference.

#42 4 years ago

Move it to the other side of the room?

-Rob
    -visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or Williams 3-7 sound solutions

#43 4 years ago

The operator knows that having a game like AC/DC turned up will create attention and drive people to it to play it. You can still have the sound turned up to a playable and complimentary level without it be too overpowering and obnoxious to workers and bar patrons who don't care for/about pinball. You have to come to a happy medium.

A little give and take is all that's needed here.

#44 4 years ago
    Quoted from Azmodeus:

That is almost as bad as damaging the game. When a game is off no one will ask to turn it on to play it. They will simply think it does not work, beyond that, as pointed out a few times is the game makes no noise when not being played. So your going to unplug it for what reason?

#45 4 years ago

Posts here are offering things the staff can do to manage the volume. It doesn't matter whether these suggestions are rude or passive aggressive or whether you find them acceptable. The staff and owner are around the machine all the time, while the operator/serviceperson is only there occasionally.

This gives the location defacto veto power over just about everything related to the games. The people who share the room with the game and their boss are your real customers, at least in the 'he who has the power to destroy the spice controls the spice' sense.

Edit to add, not saying this is how it should be, but this is the reality of being an operator. It's a difficult job that often involves working with difficult people.

#46 4 years ago

Usually the only reason I hate loud games is because the entire establishment knows I drained the first ball in 10 seconds.

#47 4 years ago

Op is a dumb ass bar owner should leave game off till op turns it down or pulls the game

#48 4 years ago

When I worked for a route op there were a few snack bar attendants at a drive-in theater who despised the evil pinball machines. They knew how to take care of them; they cut the line cord flush with the cabinet. After the fifth time, we pulled the machine.

#49 4 years ago
    Quoted from generica:

Posts here are offering things the staff can do to manage the volume. It doesn't matter whether these suggestions are rude or passive aggressive or whether you find them acceptable. The staff and owner are around the machine all the time, while the operator/serviceperson is only there occasionally.
    This gives the location defacto veto power over just about everything related to the games. The people who share the room with the game and their boss are your real customers, at least in the 'he who has the power to destroy the spice controls the spice' sense.
    Edit to add, not saying this is how it should be, but this is the reality of being an operator. It's a difficult job that often involves working with difficult people.

I think your missing the point that the "staff" is not the owner. The person in question is a staff member and the decision is not his. If in fact the customers or the owner wanted it turned down it is a completely different story. Focus on the facts and then make a comment.

The only time the game is loud is when customers a playing it. If customers did not like the volume they would not play it and this whole situation would be a mute point. However clearly customers enjoy and play the game at the volume it is at and just because that employee doesn't care for it, it is not the ops, owner or customers problem.

#50 4 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

When I worked for a route op there were a few snack bar attendants at a drive-in theater who despised the evil pinball machines. They knew how to take care of them; they cut the line cord flush with the cabinet. After the fifth time, we pulled the machine.

That's when I start charging the location for damage and negligence. The owner or person paying that bill would ensure that it does not happen again. It's amazing how rude people can be when it comes to someone else's property.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Playfield - Protection
    Pinball Haus
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 64.00
    $ 6.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 299.00
    $ 14.95
    $ 9.95
    $ 244.99
    $ 400.00
    Boards
    Great American Pinball
    $ 78.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    £ 32.00
    Boards
    German-Pinball-Modular
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 16.00
    $ 39.50
    $ 69.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 45.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Just 3D Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    There are 77 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside