Topic Stats

• 38 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Gov
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I am restoring my TAF and it will be going out on route next week (along with 3 other games with friends). I have never dealt with changing coin setting up to this point.

I would like to have it be .75 per play or 3 plays for $2. It appears the only default settings are thing like 1 for .50, 2 for .75, 3 for 1.00.

I am trying to figure out if there is a way to do what I want in custom price settings...

Any input?

#2 10 years ago

You can set anything like that in custom pricing. Last time I needed to do this I spent time poking around in there and figured it out. I'm sure you can too.

#3 10 years ago

Check your e-mail... Message sent. Try it, and if it works, post it for future reference.

#4 10 years ago

Thanks Tully.

Per your email
"It should go something like this.... A-3 is pricing. Find and select Custom pricing, and you'll be able to go up & down special settings so you can adjust coin values & stuff. It can be confusing, but try this..

- Settings 02, 03, 04, set to 1 (coin value/pulse for each coin switch)
- Setting 05 set to 0
- Setting 06 set to 3 (3 coins/pulses for a credit)
- Setting 07 set to 8 (number of coins/pulses for bonus credit)
- Setting 08 set to 1 (bonus credit for every 8 coins/pulses)
- Setting 09 set to 0"

the problem with this as custom settings is
"it will award 1 credit at .75, the 2nd credit at 1.50, the 3rd credit at 2.00 (that is the bonus for 8 coins in), but then will also award the 4th credit at 2.25 (the 3rd set of 75 cents)"

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

You can set anything like that in custom pricing. Last time I needed to do this I spent time poking around in there and figured it out. I'm sure you can too.

I had already poked around before coming here to ask the question. It is not like I don't try it first and then ask for help...

Please see above post. Do you have a solution smart ass?

edit: forgot this

#6 10 years ago

3 for $2? Even the Iron Man by work is 5 for $2. So is the Sopranos, and the LoTR. And the LoTR is 5 ball!

#7 10 years ago

3 for $2 is a fair price and necessary to make operating a game worth the time and effort. Addams is an older game, but still earns well on route.

If someone wants to place a game at a 40 cents a play for multiple plays that doesn't mean that all of a sudden 40 cents is a new price point, or even a good idea.

All of you guys out there that think DMD pins need to be set at 40 or 50 cents a play need to place some games on location for a few years and see how that works out. Oh, and since you are splitting it, it is 20 to 25 cents a play for the operator. Won't be much money left over to invest in any new equipment, or even keep up with normal maintenance.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from BrianBannon:

3 for $2 is a fair price and necessary to make operating a game worth the time and effort. Addams is an older game, but still earns well on route.
If someone wants to place a game at a 40 cents a play for multiple plays that doesn't mean that all of a sudden 40 cents is a new price point, or even a good idea.
All of you guys out there that think DMD pins need to be set at 40 or 50 cents a play need to place some games on location for a few years and see how that works out. Oh, and since you are splitting it, it is 20 to 25 cents a play for the operator. Won't be much money left over to invest in any new equipment, or even keep up with normal maintenance.

Ken's sarcasm was lost in translation somewhere. He is one of the first people to put money into location games....

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from PinballKen:

3 for $2? Even the Iron Man by work is 5 for $2. So is The Sopranos, and the LoTR. And the LoTR is 5 ball!

Are they clearcoated, tuned in, and playing well also?

Don't worry, if you decide to play it I have hacked the code so anytime the instals K E N are entered it magically shocks you through the side rails and changes the initials to HaHa (yes, I am so good at hacking that I even added a 4th initial just to make it funnier for me)

#10 10 years ago

I'd probably plunk in ten bucks if I come across it. Still my favorite game of all time. Hopefully this year I can find one at a time I'm in a buying position.

#11 10 years ago

I have screwed around with custom settings every dman way I can think of to try and make this work and it just does not seem to be possible?

I may do .75 per play or 5 for $3.

This works in custom settings. It appears the only way to have a static bonus game for pricing is if the bonus game is awarded on a multiple of the initial cost (.75, 1.50, 2.25, 3.00). Buy 4 get 1 free. As a player I like that anyway since I like to play 4 person games when out at the bar and socializing.

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I have screwed around with custom settings every dman way I can think of to try and make this work and it just does not seem to be possible?
I may do .75 per play or 5 for $3.
This works in custom settings. It appears the only way to have a static bonus game for pricing is if the bonus game is awarded on a multiple of the initial cost (.75, 1.50, 2.25, 3.00). Buy 4 get 1 free. As a player I like that anyway since I like to play 4 person games when out at the bar and socializing.

This has been my experience as well. Bonus pricing cost must be an increment of your 1 credit price. I have done 1 for $.75, 3 for $1.50 (BSD) as well as 1 for $1.00, 3 for $2.00 (TZ). TAF I have at $.75 with no bonus. Good Luck!

John
D&G Amusement

#13 10 years ago

When i was a route game player i would always put in the extra money for bonus credits if available. Playing games on route its all about bonus, match, special, replay. Games i had the best chance at replays i played the most.

#14 10 years ago

It doesn't have to be a multiple of the base unit, but you get slightly odd behaviour if it's not, as you noticed.

The 'bonus' counter only awards credits once, while the regular counter awards them every time a threshold is reached.

There's no clever way to use the bonus counter to do what you want to do. However, the following should work:

Set 02 03 and 04 to 3. Set 06 to 8. Set the rest of the pricing adjustments to 0.

#15 10 years ago

Put in the gold ROMs.

A.3 set to 01 - 1/75 3/2.00

LTG : )™

#16 10 years ago

BAM, thanks LTG!

I better email Johnwart ASAP!

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

BAM, thanks LTG!
I better email Johnwart ASAP!

I can bring some to league with me on Saturday if you want some...

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Don't worry, if you decide to play it I have hacked the code so anytime the instals K E N are entered it magically shocks you through the side rails and changes the initials to HaHa (yes, I am so good at hacking that I even added a 4th initial just to make it funnier for me)

Better have a step up transformer in there, I don't even feel 120 Volts anymore. And yes I will be putting K E N all over that machine soon. Love that game!

Are all the games arriving on the same day?

#19 10 years ago

Tim, I already ordered from John. I should have thought to ask local first, DOH!

K E N > all games will be going in on April 1st (not a joke). We will be setting up and tweaking them next Tuesday evening and assuming all goes well they will be ready to play later that night.

We plan to have a list where people can mark down game issues that can be addressed when we come in for cleaning/maintainence and also hope that people will email with issues so things can be fixed. Since I am relatively close I will be happy to make fixes on the spot if I am available.

I am sure it will take us a while to work out the bugs and figure out the optimum difficulty to keep the games challenging for the good guys but still approachable for the novice players (and hopefully some kids).

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

and also hope that people will email with issues so things can be fixed

I would generate a QR code and tape it under the glass down by the apron. If people have an issue/questions, they could use their smartphone to take them right to wherever you want them to (website/email/submission form)....

#21 10 years ago

Great idea Tim!

#22 10 years ago

anyone reccomend a good website for free QR code generation?

#24 10 years ago

My method worked without new ROMs Oh wells.

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from Excalabur:

My method worked without new ROMs

Your advice is sound. And works.

There are times where there can be more than one answer.

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from Excalabur:

So would this same type of adjustment work the same on a LotR? I have the same thing I need to do to it and it doesn't have this option.

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from Excalabur:

Missed it till now.

I will try with the regular ROMs and report back tonight. THANKS!!!

I figured the gold ROMS would be cool to try also as it seems there are some new animations and sounds for the GOLD that I did not realize.

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

So would this same type of adjustment work the same on a LotR? I have the same thing I need to do to it and it doesn't have this option.

Should work fine, though LotR displays fractional credits which may do odd things (or may not, I don't have one handy to check). You want to set pulses per coin to 3 and pulses per credit to 8 to get 1/.75, 2/1.50, 3/2.00.

(On a side note: Stern manuals are so much worse than B/W ones. Ugh.)

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from Excalabur:

It doesn't have to be a multiple of the base unit, but you get slightly odd behaviour if it's not, as you noticed.
The 'bonus' counter only awards credits once, while the regular counter awards them every time a threshold is reached.
There's no clever way to use the bonus counter to do what you want to do. However, the following should work:
Set 02 03 and 04 to 3. Set 06 to 8. Set the rest of the pricing adjustments to 0.

Just tried this and it works perfectly, just like you said!

To recap on how to get TAF with regular ROMs to be .75 per play and 3 plays for $2...

Go to Custom settings
- Settings 02, 03, 04 set to 3
- Setting 05 set to 0
- Setting 06 set to 8
- Setting 07 set to 0
- Setting 08 set to 0
- Setting 09 set to 0"

I have no idea why this works as it does not seem to follow the logic of what the settings say they are doing, but it WORKS!

thanks again for the assistance!

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I have no idea why this works as it does not seem to follow the logic of what the settings say they are doing, but it WORKS!

Here's a short explanation that I hope is understandable.

Setting 6 here is set to '8 pulses per credit'.
Setting 02, 03, and 04 are set to '3 pulses per coin'.

Therefore each coin is 3/8ths of a credit.

Coins Credits
1.....3/8
2.....6/8  = 3/4
3.....9/8  = 1-1/8
4.....12/8 = 1-1/2
5.....15/8 = 1-7/8
6.....18/8 = 2-1/4
7.....21/8 = 2-5/8
8.....24/8 = 3

All the fractions just get ignored by the display (or rounded off on later B/Ws and Sterns), so what the player sees is the first credit awarded at 3 coins, the 2nd at 6, and the 3rd at 8. The same sort of trick will work on any other similar pricing scheme, by the way: you just have to do some algebra to find the values of pulses/coin and pulses/credit to make it work. This is in the manual, by the way, it's just really poorly explained.

#32 10 years ago

makes sense! Thanks for the explanation!

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

makes sense! Thanks for the explanation!

Are you putting in a bill acceptor?

That seems key.

RM

#34 10 years ago

Working on it. I have not been able to figure out where to tie in to get power and have it award credits.

I am hoping to get a tutorial form a few friends at league this weekend.

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I have not been able to figure out where to tie in to get power and have it award credits.

AC you get from the game side of the on/off switch so it turns on and off with the game. UNPLUG the game when you do this.

On a MARS unit, orange wire and brown wire go to two wires on any coin switch. One each lug.

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Working on it. I have not been able to figure out where to tie in to get power and have it award credits.
I am hoping to get a tutorial form a few friends at league this weekend.

A how-to thread:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/installing-bill-acceptors-on-wpc-era-machines

#37 10 years ago

great stuff. Plan to work on it this weekend.

#38 10 years ago

I really need to find a change machine for my location. Which is a good thing I guess

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
$ 159.00
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 35.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 19.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1,159.00
$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 1,059.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hanford, CA
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 320.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/operator-help-how-do-i-make-taf-be-75-or-3-for-2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.