(Topic ID: 185405)

Operator discretion or Manufacturer guidance on blinking bulb use?

By phil-lee

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by stashyboy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170331_134958 (resized).jpg
    20170331_134757 (resized).jpg
    #1 7 years ago

I haven't been able to find much information on suggested placement of blinking bulbs for EM machines. Did they come from the Factory a certain way,and is this documentation available?
    Or was placement up to the Operators discretion?

#2 7 years ago

I remember participating in a thread here that talked about this, but I can't find it. I did find this:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/blinking-bulbs-in-ems#post-1673400

#3 7 years ago
    Quoted from I_P_D_B:

I remember participating in a thread here that talked about this, but I can't find it. I did find this:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/blinking-bulbs-in-ems#post-1673400

Get to the statement by DirtFlipper he describes it perfectly. There is also a photo of a Bally Williams EM in that Topic.

#4 7 years ago

If you have a game with cleavage on the bg you really can't go wrong with installing flasher bulbs in that area.

#5 7 years ago

As service technicians "back in the day" we used to either replace dud ones already in place or put them "where they looked best".

I certainly never referred to any service information about where to locate flashers and, as far as I know, nobody else in the places I worked did either.

#6 7 years ago

Check your schematic. Often times I have seen the flasher bulb notation there - but not always..

#7 7 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

Get to the statement by dirtflipper he describes it perfectly. There is also a photo of a Bally Williams EM in that Topic.

I wish I could find the thread I'm thinking of. Several of us were naming specific games and checking their schematics, IIRC. Tonight I searched my posts with terms like 455, bulbs, flasher, flashing, Ice Revue (which I remember talking about). I'm stumped as to why I can't find it. It was pretty good.

#8 7 years ago

I appreciate the feedback,all valuable. I do think there is a certain "Art" to it. They were meant to attract, in a certain way. Homepins' comments were interesting,they did come from the Factory in certain quadrants on the light board.
    The LED I tried flashed too fast, though I haven't looked recently at whats currently available.
    The slow blink of an incandescent in a dark room is hard to beat whether you're playing or partying.
    I did try to use them to convey motion on my Klondike, accentuating(or trying to) the movement of the horses' reaction to the bear and her cubs.
    Thanks for looking IPDB, feel free to update if you find it.

#9 7 years ago

The LED I tried flashed too fast, though I haven't looked recently at whats currently available.
    The slow blink of an incandescent in a dark room is hard to beat whether you're playing or partying.
    I did try to use them to convey motion on my Klondike, accentuating(or trying to) the movement of the horses' reaction to the bear and t.

That is why I don't like LED's in EM pins. They lack the warmth & fade in / fade out of incandescent bulbs. They blink on & off too fast -just don't look right in a vintage pin..

#10 7 years ago

on Gottlieb games, they used a different socket for flashing bulbs as the standard ones dont come out far enough

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

on Gottlieb games, they used a different socket for flashing bulbs as the standard ones dont come out far enough

Thanks Pete,yeah, just read the Thread, learned a lot. Now it makes me want to take off some Back Glass and check it out.Great Info!

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from dasvis:

That is why I don't like LED's in EM pins. They lack the warmth & fade in / fade out of incandescent bulbs. They blink on & off too fast -just don't look right in a vintage pin..</blockquote
    You have that right. The "Sleepy Blink" of an old pin in the corner was sometimes comforting.I tend to try and re-create it.

#13 7 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

Thanks Pete,yeah, just read the Thread, learned a lot. Now it makes me want to take off some Back Glass and check it out.Great Info!

you dont need to start by removing the backglass, the different socket is visible from the back
    on my Card Wizz, the only one is behind the magicians flash
    but on my Bronco i cannot see any different sockets, so i put 4 of them behind the 'BRONCO' lettering

#14 7 years ago

This topic thread (below) also discussed similar issues with blinking/flashing bulbs
    and their blink rates and reliability etc.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/used-ge-455s#post-3466371

#15 7 years ago

Yes, Gottliebs have that button style socket that helps figure out the factory scheme. My latest game (Vulcan) has lots. All around the game title (8 total) flash at game over. Fits the theme nicely as it has lightening bolts/fire surrounding the title letters.

20170331_134757 (resized).jpg20170331_134757 (resized).jpgYou can see them here.

20170331_134958 (resized).jpg20170331_134958 (resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/operator-discretion-or-manufacturer-guidance-on-blinking-bulb-use?hl=phil-lee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.