Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by GoSkins
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

61DE1571-AA20-4951-B7F7-532B0BC6CD34 (resized).jpeg

#1 1 year ago

I am getting this alert and not sure how to decipher it. The game is Starship Troopers by Sega. It’s a Whitestar system. Is this stating that the Stepper Motor and Coil #2 are both bad?
Coil 18 is Stepper Motor # 2, so I can see where this may be one problem.
However, my auto-launcher, which is coil #2 has been launching the ball and it sometimes fails to reach the playfield and falls back down through the Outlane. My machine was not level and when I leveled it this improved, but is still happening about 10% of the time.
So, does anyone know if this alert is referring to #18 coil and #2 coil, or if it’s #18 coil which is Stepper Motor #2 and the auto launch is a coincidence?
#Starship Troopers
#SST

61DE1571-AA20-4951-B7F7-532B0BC6CD34 (resized).jpeg

#2 1 year ago

No, just the stepper motor is erroring. Coil #2 has nothing to do with it. Parsed correctly, it should read "Stepper motor number two malfunction". They just call it a coil because the error is set up for coils, but covers motors as well. It just says "[part that failed] coil malfunction". That being said, it may in fact be your relay, which has a coil, that is malfunctioning. You need to run a test of the stepper motor in test mode.

#3 1 year ago

Thanks CadillacMusic for the response. I just tried to test it, and it does nothing. The game has 4 Stepper Motors and none do anything in test mode. I tested several other coils, flippers and such to make sure I was doing it right, and they all responded in test mode, but I have 4 listed as Stepper Motors 1-4. They are coils 17-20. None do anything in coil test mode. Any ideas?
I’m new at this, so pardon my ignorance if I’m missing something obvious.
cadillacmusic
#Starship Troopers
#SST
#Sega
#Whitestar

#4 1 year ago

If none of them work, how is your 12v? Should be Connector 16 pin three, according to the manual.

#5 1 year ago

Thanks again cadillacmusic!! I looked through the manual and found the connector in the backbox. I looked it over and it looks ok. I'm going to have to trace the wire and see if there is a short in it somewhere. This is a little bigger job than I have done so far, but I'm up for the challenge.

The warrior bug moves most of the time. It gets stuck every few games or so, but will straighten up on the next turn/player, so I think it may be a loose wire somewhere. Even when it gets stuck, the switch performs as it should. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction! I'll keep you posted.

#6 1 year ago

Okay It sounds like it may be a physical problem with the bug. A loose wire could happen, but it's kind of unlikely. It's been like 4 years since I worked on one of these machines, but I remember the bug being really strange even when working correctly. Check out the shaft the bug rides on, and make sure it's not damaged or pitted at all.

#7 1 year ago

I guess I should make clearer, too, that if it's not a physical problem, it's more likely to be a problem with the circuit board, like the transistor not working. Wires do fail and short, but a lot less than transistors.

#8 1 year ago

Thank you cadillacmusic
Now that you mention it, the center shaft (threaded shaft) has seemed a little unstable to me in the past, but I’m a rookie so unsure of what’s normal. The bug will move in Switch Test mode, so I’ll be testing/checking that shaft out tonight after work.

#9 1 year ago

Looks like it was a physical problem cadillacmusic
I cleaned up the guide rails, and I found that the center shaft had a bundle of wires behind it. Each time the bug backed up, the shaft was scraping (pushing through) the bundle. I rerouted those, and have played about 10 games. No Error Messages!!!
Thank you cadillacmusic!!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Algoma, WI
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball
$ 245.95
Boards
Allteksystems
$ 299.00
$ 115.00
Cabinet Parts
Merf's Pins
$ 7,399.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
$ 96.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
€ 8.10
Flipper Parts
Buthamburg
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
$ 239.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Tilttopper
$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus
$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside