Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

15010342730511221209852 (resized).jpg
15010326100331224479619 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

I recently got a Gottlieb Operation Thunder. Center upkicker wasn't working and it looked like I just needed a new solenoid. I thought the left and right up kickers were working at that time. I installed the new solenoid but now all three upkickers are not functioning in test mode nor in gameplay. Replaced fuses and that didn't work.

Memory OK but Error code 2603 comes up on self test. No idea what that is.

Any direction here? I've tried searching online Googling and seeing that I'm a novice to pinball I'm sort of striking out! Thanks in advance!

#3 6 years ago

Look for cracked solder joints on the MPU.

If everything checks out there, you may need to replace the RAM chip.

Edit: wait, if it says memory ok, then the RAM is likely fine. What is the exact wording on the screen?

Do you see an actual error message or just a checksum?

#4 6 years ago

Error code 2603 comes up in the checksum.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from thehobbyist:

Error code 2603 comes up in the checksum.

Does it actually say "error" or does it just say that the checksum is 2603?

If it does actually say error, try re-seating the game ROM chip on the MPU. Also try carefully cleaning the legs with a pink rubber eraser if they look tarnished or black.

#6 6 years ago

I will take a look tonight and verify exact verbiage and try your suggestion and report back! Thanks for your help, I greatly appreciate it!!

#7 6 years ago

Memory ok
Game prom check-sum 2603

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from thehobbyist:

Memory ok
Game prom check-sum 2603

That should be fine then. That's not an error.

Can you start a game?

When you put in the new coil, did you make sure the wires went back onto the same lugs and the diode was facing the same direction?

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from thehobbyist:

Game prom check-sum 2603

A checksum is just an algorithm to verify the contents of the PROM to make sure that it's not corrupt. Essentially, it's the PROM saying "the contents of my chip equals 1234 if you do this algorithm" Then the computer says "Let me prove it. I'll do that algorithm that's based on your contents, if true, will equal 1234." Then the programming runs the algorithm and says "Yea. Looks good. Your checksum is 1234." Or, it'll fail the checksum test (say the instead of the answer to the algorithm being 1234, its 8530), which means that the contents of the PROM have been corrupted for whatever reason.

TL;DR: Your game displaying a checksum isn't an error. It's just displaying the results of an algorithm to verify the contents of the prom chip. No worries there.

------

Do System 3 games daisy chain the power to the solenoids? It could be that when you replaced the solenoid, you didn't solder something in properly, like Forceflow mentioned, and broke power to the other solenoids in the chain.

#10 6 years ago

15010326100331224479619 (resized).jpg15010326100331224479619 (resized).jpg

#11 6 years ago

I made sure I had a good connection and matched best I could to what I believe was correct on the center upkicker That said, somebody else might have tried to fix the center upkicker before when the previous owner had it so maybe it's wired wrong? Tabs on the old solenoid were broken off (solder held). I clipped the wire, and soldered a new matching solenoid on (A-16570). I'm new to fixing pinball machines and though I am willing to learn, this is all new to me. All three upkickers are still dead. Let me know what other pics would help you help me! Thanks in advance.

#12 6 years ago

Center upkicker solenoid

15010342730511221209852 (resized).jpg15010342730511221209852 (resized).jpg

#13 6 years ago

Check fuse F26. Looks like that bridges power to the 3 up kickers.

#14 6 years ago

Fuse 26 replaced, no love

#15 6 years ago

Update: multimeter that I ordered from Amazon just came in tested f26 it appears that that is the issue every time I turn the game on it blows right away so seems I have a short somewhere.

#16 6 years ago

Does F26 blow in addition to F27?

According to the schematics, F27 covers all three coils, and F26 is behind that which covers only the left and right upcickers.

So, if you are still blowing only F27, then you're still having an issue with only the center upkicker.

Your 311 color-coded wire (the wire with the orange-brown-brown stripes) should be connected to the coil lug that has the unbanded side of the diode. If the orange-brown-brown wire is connected to the lug with the banded side of the diode, you will need to swap the wires that are on each lug--the orange-brown-brown on the unbanded side, and the two wires that are twisted together need to be on the banded side.

#17 6 years ago

Good news, wires were on the wrong lug! Changed it up so 311 was on the unbanded side.

Bad news.... Fuse 26 blew upon turning the game on still. F27 still ok.

Thoughts? Thanks for your help so far forceflow!

#18 6 years ago

Ok, also take a look at the left and right upkickers to make sure those have the correct wires on the correct lugs.

The left upkicker should have the 300 (orange-black-black) color coded wire on the unbanded side.

The right upkicker should have the 322 (orange-red-red) color coded wire on the unbanded side.

#19 6 years ago

Left and right upkickers appear to be wired correctly.

#20 6 years ago

If you had tbe coul hooked up backwards most likely you blew a transiator somewhere.

#21 6 years ago

I will see what I can figure out and report back!

1 week later
#22 6 years ago

Q10 was shot. Had a friend of a friend replace it. Turned it on .. Blew on powering up. Unplugged the left and center upkicker at the coil leaving only the right upkicker plugged in. Put a new fuse in...same result. Out of damn fuses... Got to order more

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/operation-thunder-error-code-2603?hl=thehobbyist and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.