Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 518 posts
  • 102 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by hocuslocus
  • Topic is favorited by 115 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20151020_113713.jpg
    20150806_082133.jpg
    IMG_0964.jpg
    IMG_6795.JPG
    IMG_6794.JPG
    IMG_6798.JPG
    IMG_6631.JPG
    IMG_6630.JPG
    20150529_200429-1.jpg
    image.jpg
    IMG_5484.JPG
    IMG_5483.JPG
    IMG_5480.JPG
    IMG_5482.JPG
    IMG_5481.JPG
    1bbarcade1.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CavemanJoe.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#196 10 years ago

Joining the operator club, and quite excited to do so!

I operated video games back in England (man, the video game scene is so different over here - back in the UK we used generic upright JAMMA cabinets for everything, and swapped the games out pretty frequently. We'd rarely even bother changing the marquee, never mind the cabinet art! You guys really like your dedicated cabs!), and now, having gotten and restored my first pinball (a 1972 Williams Super Star, with a backglass generously provided by a lovely gentleman posting in this very thread!), it's on location at DaBuzi's restaurant in Finleyville, PA! And it's got an extra little surprise in it, too: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-high-score-saving-mod

So far, it's gone really well! This is a place where 99% of the business is deliveries despite having a HUGE dining room, and yet it's getting a dozen or so plays a day with close to zero foot traffic. Of course, I'm heading over tonight to fix the damn thing after only five days on location, but hey, that's pinball (and prototyping, too).

My intention is a little different from you guys - I want to get more electromechanicals back out in public, and I think that with a high-score saving feature, they could earn a lot more. So for me, this is mostly about testing my mod.

Fingers crossed!

#198 10 years ago

So that's why my Super Star had so many names carved in it.

#200 10 years ago
    Quoted from stangbat:

In my limited experience, EMs do fairly well, especially in a lineup of other DMD games. They get quarters from the people that want to play a simple and inexpensive game. And a lot of little kids gravitate towards the simpler and easier games. And when mom and dad give you a dollar and you can play four games on an EM vs. one or two on a solid state game, you pick the EM. You can recover the cost of an EM pretty quickly even at a quarter per play.

They're certainly satisfying. And pretty.

And the machine at DaBuzi's is in their lobby, which is a sort of raised wooden floor which leads down via steps into the restaurant proper. The wood and the space beneath acts as, like, a big sounding-board. Every time you score any points, you feel the thump of the solenoids through your feet. It's awesome.

Got it set to quarter play, three balls per game, and everything but the replay scores set to add-a-ball mode. Might try five-ball play sometime - seeing how three-ball play goes, for now.

(and there's a big empty space in my basement, where a pinball machine used to be)

(and so of course I'm idly nosing around Craigslist...)

3 weeks later
    #210 9 years ago

The Royal Mint back in the UK has a habit of changing the coins just often enough to be irritating to operators too. I get why they do it, and the new coins are often nicer, but it's still a PITA.

I hear the one-pound coin is gonna be changing soon, because it's too easy to counterfeit. The new version is twelve-sided, bimetallic, and absolutely gorgeous. There's still gonna be grumbling, and some of it will be from me.

(putting dollar coin acceptors on my pins, giving five plays for a dollar coin, prominent "Dollar coins are available at the register" sign - coming from the UK, the very concept of a one-dollar note is bizarre to me, and even though dollar coins kinda suck, I'd still like to do a little bit to encourage their circulation)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CavemanJoe.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/operating-pinball-machines-on-location-club?tu=CavemanJoe and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.