Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 518 posts
  • 102 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by hocuslocus
  • Topic is favorited by 115 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20151020_113713.jpg
    20150806_082133.jpg
    IMG_0964.jpg
    IMG_6795.JPG
    IMG_6794.JPG
    IMG_6798.JPG
    IMG_6631.JPG
    IMG_6630.JPG
    20150529_200429-1.jpg
    image.jpg
    IMG_5484.JPG
    IMG_5483.JPG
    IMG_5480.JPG
    IMG_5482.JPG
    IMG_5481.JPG
    1bbarcade1.jpg
    There are 518 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 11.
    #201 9 years ago

I have loved early Bally pins 1978 - 1982. So I'm buying worn out ones to put out on location. Even bought security door bars years ago, to add further security. $35 a pin licence fee in my area. I was able to include insurance under my parts business. Since I'm a manufacturer of Gottlieb LLC & Planetary Pinball, I carry $2 million Canadian. Only costs me about $1k a year.

I learned a lot the last 16 years buying about 300 Bally pins, 30 EM's, 20 Stern & 1 WOZ LE. My advice is operate the cheapest, & most reliable pins. Bally pins were the king during that time in my area, same number on location as all the others manufacturers combined on location. Lots of parts & relatively easy to service. My goal is to buy them under $1k each to operate. 50/50 split, hopefully it gets more people (new) interested in playing pinball. 25 cent play for 5 balls, no replays except for match. I'm going with 1978 - 1979 Bally pins to operate, sell the demand pins from 1980 - 1982.

I junk the worst pins for parts. Been doing that at the start when there wasn't affordable new boards.

So my first worn pin on location is Supersonic. Put it on location & it craps out in hours. They said it wasn't taking quarters, & likely jammed slots. Well it was BR3 failed, they didn't say the displays weren't on. So 2 trips wasted, everything ok after BR3 replaced with a used one (yes you have to be cheap). So go back & BR2 fails, murphy's law. So I just replaced it today, pin back & up after my 6 day vacation to Allentown.

1 week later
    #202 9 years ago

Placed a Fish Tales on Location last week. So far so good.

FishTalesLEDd.gifFishTalesLEDd.gif
    #203 9 years ago

now you get to spend another $400 to add the colordmd

#205 9 years ago

Got the ColorDMD installed today. Waiting on the ROM

#206 9 years ago

I ran into an interesting snag. I'm prepping a Whirlwind to go on location. I charge $1 a game, 3 games for $2. In Canada we have a $1 coin, the loonie. In 2012, the government changed the composition of the metals used to produce it, so any coin mech made prior to 2012 won't accept the new coin. The new ones are too light.

Guess what mechs are the only ones I have on hand? Yay .gov!

#207 9 years ago
    Quoted from policano:

Placed a Fish Tales on Location last week. So far so good.

I might to do the same in the near future. I have an extra FT to put on location (also have a location whose owner is asking me to put a game in his location). It is a simple, yet great game wih nice artwork.

#208 9 years ago
    Quoted from smokedog:

I ran into an interesting snag. I'm prepping a Whirlwind to go on location. I charge $1 a game, 3 games for $2. In Canada we have a $1 coin, the loonie. In 2012, the government changed the composition of the metals used to produce it, so any coin mech made prior to 2012 won't accept the new coin. The new ones are too light.
    Guess what mechs are the only ones I have on hand? Yay .gov!

Not sure exactly what type of coin mech you are using but if its the old mechanical "Cradle" type and weight is a problem, you can experiment by grinding down the weight disc on the cradle. The lighter coin should be able to overcome the lesser weight. Obviously, if it is an electronic coin mech, never mind!

#209 9 years ago
    Quoted from CactusJack:

Not sure exactly what type of coin mech you are using but if its the old mechanical "Cradle" type and weight is a problem, you can experiment by grinding down the weight disc on the cradle. The lighter coin should be able to overcome the lesser weight. Obviously, if it is an electronic coin mech, never mind!

Good suggestion, but I stumbled upon some coin mechs I had in the glove box of my truck. Ha. No idea how they ended up there ... problem solved!

#210 9 years ago

The Royal Mint back in the UK has a habit of changing the coins just often enough to be irritating to operators too. I get why they do it, and the new coins are often nicer, but it's still a PITA.

I hear the one-pound coin is gonna be changing soon, because it's too easy to counterfeit. The new version is twelve-sided, bimetallic, and absolutely gorgeous. There's still gonna be grumbling, and some of it will be from me.

(putting dollar coin acceptors on my pins, giving five plays for a dollar coin, prominent "Dollar coins are available at the register" sign - coming from the UK, the very concept of a one-dollar note is bizarre to me, and even though dollar coins kinda suck, I'd still like to do a little bit to encourage their circulation)

#211 9 years ago

Does any one know how to make bill acceptors bypass the magazine ? So the money just gets dropped into the coin box , I'm headed north for a couple months and one of my machines is bound to fill up before I get back..

#212 9 years ago
    Quoted from Dawson:

Does any one know how to make bill acceptors bypass the magazine ?

If it's like a MARS up stacker ( or down ) the magazine unlatches and slides off. Try without it and see where they go.

LTG : )™

#213 9 years ago
    Quoted from Dawson:

Does any one know how to make bill acceptors bypass the magazine ? So the money just gets dropped into the coin box , I'm headed north for a couple months and one of my machines is bound to fill up before I get back..

Policano on here has one like that, might want to ask him.

#214 9 years ago
    Quoted from Dawson:

You can probably get bigger bill magazines for them. Clearance can be an issue, but I have 500 bill magazines on many of my games.

Better still, why not have a friend check on them in a month and give them a cleaning? The audits will keep everyone honest.

#215 9 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

You can probably get bigger bill magazines for them. Clearance can be an issue, but I have 500 bill magazines on many of my games.
    Better still, why not have a friend check on them in a month and give them a cleaning? The audits will keep everyone honest.

Seems like I can only get the 300's to clear in my machines ... And getting friends to do something like that is like pulling hair off a frogs arse.. These machines are quite a long distance away... Plus free game abuse could get high . I would rather not deal with 2nd parties... Good advice though..

Quoted from LTG:If it's like a MARS up stacker ( or down ) the magazine unlatches and slides off. Try without it and see where they go.

These 2411s show an error when you remove the magi.. Tries that one .. Tape over sensor ? Tried that too

Thanks tj

#216 9 years ago

You can always get the "low security" type stacker-less units and just let it dump the bills into the cabinet. The ones with stackers must have a magazine present to function (at least as far as MEI is concerned).

1 week later
    #217 9 years ago

Hey Guys, Here is video of an event we just put on this past weekend. It was a lot of work but very awesome to hear people enjoy pinball!

1 week later
    #218 9 years ago

Do any of you guys have headaches with change machines like I do? I have a ROWE BC1200 and it has been giving me troubles since the day I bought it. Also, do you guys find yourself buying quarters from the bank or having to roll quarters since you get more back in the machines then can fit in the change machine? I bought a quarter counting machine second hand from a vending company getting out of the business and it was the best money I ever spent. It looks kind of like these http://www.kardwell.com/coin-counter-wrapper-baggers.htm

#219 9 years ago

Back in the day, you would have so many quarters that the bank would refuse to take them all.

#220 9 years ago

I count by hand with a hand counter (very slick) and then just taken them to my local bank and they count for free/ exchange to bills.

#221 9 years ago

Oh, jeez, I've been fighting change machines the last three days. My cheapo unit finally gave up and I can't get it working. The inhibit signal seems to not be sensed by the validator. I've given up on it and figure it is done for. I've spent waaaay too much time on it already. It isn't worth spending any more time or any money on it to try and repair it.

My location owners bought a Rowe BC-3500 and finally got power installed for it and fired it up today. The validator doesn't sense correctly. Using the manual and running through the voltage tests for the validator sensors, it appears that a couple of the photo cells must be bad. Of course I don't have anything like that on hand. I probably spent a least an hour on it today.

As for quarters, at my location I own the pins. And up until today I owned and serviced the change machine. The location owners own the claw machine and some gumball and sticker machines. I end up having to get quarters from them as more quarters go out of the change machine than go into the pins. For months it was about even and I didn't need to get quarters from them, but the last 3+ months kids have been running me out.

2 weeks later
    #222 9 years ago

If your ROWE change machine is having a issue and giving the error of "Bucket did not open", buy a replacement transformer. You can get them on eBay pretty cheap (used) and I think it hopefully resolved the issue I was having for over a year. (knocks on wood) I wanted to pass that along.

#223 9 years ago

Good old TD Bank.

#224 9 years ago

I ran an American Changer, AC1001, in my largest location and it ran flawlessly for 2 years--lost it in a fire. It holds up to $700 and will change everything from $1 to $20. I would just recycle the quarters. Occasionally, I would have to add more quarters, but that is just what happens with a changer in a public place.

#225 9 years ago

Update on my change machine problems, the restaurant's Rowe BC-3500 is fixed. The person who sold it to the restaurant installed a new validator and that took care of the problem.

I'm now running an American Changer AC401. Not ideal, but it is working so far. Between the restaurant's Rowe and my AC401, I've been ending up with extra quarters and have to take them to the bank. That hasn't happened for quite a while.

#226 9 years ago
    Quoted from policano:

Here is my location inside Sun Ray Lanes.
    I also created a website and offer information about leagues, tournaments and other info that has been really helpful.
    Here is a list of my Pins currently on location at East Side Pinball.http://www.eastsidepinball.com/pinballs.html

color1.jpg 84 KB
    color2.jpg 98 KB

My brother just got a job at 3M, moving from AZ. I was looking on the pinmap around where he lived and I found your place. I was talking to him on the phone and told him the crossroads. He casually goes, "Oh yeah, that's right across the street from my work." Nice. He's not really a pinhead per se, but enjoys playing. I told him that he should join a group, get involved in a monthly tournament, or find a location to play at. Looks like you have a good location right there.

#227 9 years ago

He's always welcome! 3M is literally across the street

#228 9 years ago

One of the challenges I have faced operating games today is that bartenders and staff shutdown the games up to 2 hours before they close. Its annoying and I don't want to get involved with the owner as he would be pretty angry. He always says you can't play if they aren't on. I have to agree. I installed smart outlets controlled by my home automation that I extend into the location that now turn on and off the games automatically based on a schedule we set. However if people are still playing after close and the games still have activity the motion from the camera stream will extend the timer.

Im pretty happy with this solution so far.

#229 9 years ago
    Quoted from policano:

Im pretty happy with this solution so far.

How about when they have them all turned off and tables set up in front of them ? Bowling tournament score keeping or something ?

#231 9 years ago

Curious to get fellow operators input.

Current games are TAF (nice restored example), SS, STpro, and FH in our 4 game line up.
    TAF and STpro get slightly more play than FH ans SS, but relatively even across the games.

Funhouse is potentially down for the count. If not an easy fix then it may be a good opportunity/ timing to swap it out?

Curious what others think/ would put in its place for a bit?

Potential replacement options are: LOTR, Getaway, Congo, Nascar, or Elvis

What do you say? Things to tweak if you suggest a specific title. Which have you seen to earn well?

Advice appreciated!

Side note in case it helps
    TAF .75 and 3/$2
    SS and FH at .50
    ST at $1 and 3/$2.

#232 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Potential replacement options are: LOTR, Getaway, Congo, Nascar, or Elvis

I can only comment on LOTR. Stock up on forked switches if you intend to put it on location. They take a beating, and fail more often than anything I've come across (and have to be tweaked again every week. Pain in the butt, so I will be pulling the pin and have it sit comfortably in my game room).

On another note, I am currently renegotiating my contract with the location. Will update with the results.

#233 9 years ago

LOTR has forked switches at left vuk and golim vuk, correct?

#234 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Ya I think so. Those roller type switches that are in the sword lock seem to be pretty flaky too.

#235 9 years ago
    Quoted from jdoz2:

Ya I think so. Those roller type switches that are in the sword lock seem to be pretty flaky too.

I had the Balrog switch fail and replaced all the fork switches.

#236 9 years ago

I had Getaway and Funhouse in my location at the same time. Funhouse did much better. After a few months, Getaway was the lowest earning machine of all 7. That being said, Getaway's success depends on your customer base. Mine is a lot of kids and the theme isn't one that draws in kids as good as other games. Adults that remember the game would play it a lot, but that doesn't make up for kids not wanting to play it.

I haven't had any of the other games you mention on location although I should have a Congo at some point in the next year. I'd think LOTR would do pretty good as long as it isn't trouble to keep it running. I also would not want LOTR in a location where monthly tournaments are held, it would really slow things down. I thought Spiderman slowed down our tournaments but LOTR would be ridiculous.

#237 9 years ago
    Quoted from stangbat:

I thought spiderman slowed down our tournaments but LOTR would be ridiculous.

I had them both on location at the same time during tournaments. Good god it was painful. One person gets on a roll on either machine and it would delay things by hours.

Quoted from Whysnow:

Yup. Stock up on magnet fuses as well ... actually, just keep it at home. I found it got played a lot, but due to long game times it did not earn as well as others. I even maxed out difficulty and opened out lanes, then people just didnt play it since they couldnt last an hour on one dollar.

#238 9 years ago

yeah, fears with LOTR are keeping it running and long game times...

thanks for the input!

#239 9 years ago

You guys see this? https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152666245920555&set=pcb.10152666246290555&type=1&theater

10462872_10152666245990555_2192954589645901509_n.jpg10462872_10152666245990555_2192954589645901509_n.jpg

Glad to see you can make money on route!

#240 9 years ago
    Quoted from genex:

You guys see this?

I certainly don't make that kind of money!

#241 9 years ago
    Quoted from genex:

You guys see this? https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152666245920555&set=pcb.10152666246290555&type=1&theater

10462872_10152666245990555_21929... 88 KB

Thats nothing man, that thing is just getting broken in.... Almost all of the Chuck E Cheese Machines I have purchased had a minimum of 20k in earnings....

#242 9 years ago
    Quoted from genex:

10462872_10152666245990555_21929... 88 KB

Good lord! I wish that were the case for my machines lol.

#243 9 years ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Thats nothing man, that thing is just getting broken in.... Almost all of the Chuck E Cheese Machines I have purchased had a minimum of 20k in earnings....

Damn, I am glad to see it. Obviously if you aren't making money it doesn't make sense as a business. I was almost thinking of putting my Iron Man on coin play at leaving it here at the photography studio so we'd have a good playing one in SF

2 weeks later
    #244 9 years ago
    Quoted from smokedog:

On another note, I am currently renegotiating my contract with the location. Will update with the results.

Renegotiation went better than expected! It appears I will be keeping pins on location. They like the traffic it brings in for booze and food. Win/win for everyone.

#245 9 years ago

I opened a third location for pinball a few weeks ago at Premier Lanes in Chesterfield, Michigan. I opened it one mile from one of my other locations, Rosie O’Grady’s. Rosie’s is already to capacity with pinball machines and I figured the two locations can build synergy and become a mini pinball destination. This brings the total of 23 pinball machines within a one mile radius. Rosie’s has mostly Williams/Bally WPC games and Premier Lanes primarily has Williams/Bally System 11 games. This is a list of the games that are currently at each location.

One-Eyed Betty’s, Ferndale

1.) Medieval Madness
    2.) Road Show
    3.) The Addams Family
    4.) Scared Stiff
    5.) Hurricane
    Non-Pinball (Tapper and Ice Cold Beer)

Rosie O’Grady’s, Chesterfield

6.) Ripley’s BION
    7.) The Getaway
    8.) Diner
    9.) Doctor Who
    10.) Fun House
    11.) World Cup Soccer ‘94
    12.) Fish Tales
    13.) Terminator 2
    Non-Pinball (Ms Pacman Cocktail, The Simpsons, TRON, Donkey Kong Junior, Donkey Kong 3)

Premier Lanes, Chesterfield

14.) Space Shuttle
    15.) Monday Night Football
    16.) Whirlwind
    17.) Earthshaker!
    18.) Taxi
    19.) Fire!
    20.) Party Zone
    21.) White Water
    22.) The Machine: Bride of Pinbot
    23.) Pool Sharks
    24.) Cue Ball Wizard
    25.) Cyclone
    26.) Bad Cats (coming soon)
    27.) Mousin’ Around (coming soon)

If you’re ever in the Detroit area, there are a lot of great pinball/arcade locations all lining I-94 and I-696, which includes Premier Lanes, Rosie O’Grady’s, Terry’s Terrace, M-Brew, One-Eyed Betty’s, Marvin’s Marvelous Mechanical Museum and The Arcade in Brighton. From start to finish, all these locations are within a one hour driving distance. I am hoping to start a marketing campaign to help promote all of them collectively and call it “The Arcade Trail.”

#246 9 years ago

Did you all listen to the Pinheadz podcast about the impact of alternate translites? Pretty interesting and not too surprising that 'sexier' backglasses = increased revenue. Even for Monopoly!

http://www.pinheadz.com.au/podcast/ppp008-pinheadz-pinball-podcast-ep8-experts-of-dangerous-v-revenge-of-the-zombie-crash-test-dummies/

1 week later
    #247 9 years ago

About to replace a Fish Tales with Judge Dredd. Will be in an office, set on freeplay.

Got the Deadworld mod, and it's already giving me plenty of trouble at home just trying to get it adjusted.

Should I just go without it? Seems like it will be more trouble than it is worth.

#248 9 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

Seems like it will be more trouble than it is worth.

If it bothers you at home, have to travel to do it will make it worse. Even if it's at work you may have to go get tools or parts.

#249 9 years ago

I have 3 older pins on location at a corner store with vids. Bally Supersonic (fair), Lost World (poor), & Speak Easy (very nice). 25 cent, 5 ball for the older ones, & 3 ball on Speak Easy. Special awards extra ball, & you can match only for a free credit. Another local guy has just brought in Stern Meteor (good), 3 ball.

My take on 50/50 split for all is $20 - $40 usually a week. You aren't going to get rich, but it does offer decent pinball play in my City. Gambling pretty well killed off amusements the last 20 years. Most operators are long gone, & the local guys are mostly very friendly about operating pins. We try to promote where the last big operator doesn't want to have anything to do with small operations.

I'm lucky in that my City is only $35 a year license per machine, & I already have $2 million liability insurance with my pinball company. Self insure your own pins just like most operators did in the hay day of amusements.

#250 9 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

Should I just go without it? Seems like it will be more trouble than it is worth.

I have my JD on location and for the first month I had the deadworld installed. I NEVER had a problem with it at home, but at the store I had countless problems with the game losing track of the balls with it installed. After my 5 trip up to the store to fix it, I took off the deadworld mod and went back to stock. Not one issue since.

There are 518 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 11.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/operating-pinball-machines-on-location-club/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.