Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 518 posts
  • 102 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by hocuslocus
  • Topic is favorited by 115 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20151020_113713.jpg
    20150806_082133.jpg
    IMG_0964.jpg
    IMG_6795.JPG
    IMG_6794.JPG
    IMG_6798.JPG
    IMG_6631.JPG
    IMG_6630.JPG
    20150529_200429-1.jpg
    image.jpg
    IMG_5484.JPG
    IMG_5483.JPG
    IMG_5480.JPG
    IMG_5482.JPG
    IMG_5481.JPG
    1bbarcade1.jpg
    There are 518 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 11.
    #501 5 years ago
    Quoted from murdock:

Could be horrible ideas

Not horrible. Magnet is the way to go. American coins won't stick to it.

LTG : )

#502 5 years ago

I agree that's the cure.

For prevention, what about securing a magnet or two near the opening in the coin box top?

#503 5 years ago

Not a useful post, but just wanted to say you guys/gals are awesome for putting machines on location. Thanks!

#504 5 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

They're only horrible if they don't work!

What would your location think of the magnets when they end up in their coin machines instead?

#505 5 years ago
    Quoted from Kevkat:

What would your location think of the magnets when they end up in their coin machines instead?

Genius idea: line the walls of the coin hopper with magnets to grab stuff as it passes by!

#506 5 years ago
    Quoted from Kevkat:

Just get a big super magnet and dredge it through the coins before dumping in the bags or counter.

LTG : )

#507 5 years ago

Do you keep spare parts & tools in games?

#508 5 years ago
    Quoted from HighProtein:

Do you keep spare parts & tools in games?

I usually keep: parts specific to that game which either haven't yet been installed or are something I expect to break. Also: worn but not broken parts I've recently replaced in the game (as a fallback in case the new part breaks).

3 weeks later
    #509 4 years ago

Problem: some games occasionally end up not being turned on at my location.

Reasons:
    - 10 machines are on a circuit breaker, but 3 are not (and the bartender isn't paying enough attention, or can't find on/off switch on new Sterns)
    - Circuit breaker is a double switch, and sometimes only one switch gets flipped
    - Two games are moved for the weekend, and then back into place during the week and occasionally are not plugged back in

What I want: a device that lets me remotely turn machines on, and/or know that they have not been turned on. (And also knowing that a machine has been turned off in the middle of business hours would also be nice...because I'd know there is a problem).

Any solutions?

(Interested in tech solutions only, not solutions that involve better education/communication with the venue, as simple as that would seem.)

#510 4 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

Problem: some games occasionally end up not being turned on at my location.
    Reasons:
    - 10 machines are on a circuit breaker, but 3 are not (and the bartender isn't paying enough attention, or can't find on/off switch on new Sterns)
    - Circuit breaker is a double switch, and sometimes only one switch gets flipped
    - Two games are moved for the weekend, and then back into place during the week and occasionally are not plugged back in
    What I want: a device that lets me remotely turn machines on, and/or know that they have not been turned on. (And also knowing that a machine has been turned off in the middle of business hours would also be nice...because I'd know there is a problem).
    Any solutions?
    (Interested in tech solutions only, not solutions that involve better education/communication with the venue, as simple as that would seem.)

A high-tech solution would work, kind of.

Your biget issue here would be - they would only work at machine-level. So, if someone at closing still turned off the breaker you would have no way of really turning them back up. You would KNOW they were off, but unless you rewired their circuit-breaker, you wouldn't be able to pop them back on.

But, simple solution:
    Get an Arduino and a 120v K-relay (Ice cube relay). Connect relay coil up to AC in game. Connect Arduino D1 and GND to a set of contacts in relay. Connect Arduino to Wifi/Ethernet, and write a short script to ping a script on your website every 'x' minutes with a '0' or '1' depending on relay status. So, you know if the game is turned on at least. Likely will need a small battery to keep the arduino powere overnight when power *is* off.

#511 4 years ago

Simplest solution in my mind...

Put a nice sign on games to tell players they are allowed to turn on a game that is off.
    Also a sign/little map showing where the switch is.

something simple like
    "Oops, the bartender was busy this morning and forgot to turn on this pinball. Please feel free to turn me on if you want to play"
    would likely work.

Use bright paper, laminate it, and affix it to the backbox and also a small one on coin door.

I suggest this method as the first person to notice is likely the player and then they will know you are cool with it being turned on.

Worth note that if you ever have a game issue, then you should be pulling the plug from the wall anyway to prevent a simple switch from turning on a bad game.

#512 4 years ago

aside from the note, I would think a remote viewing camera would be nice to at least figure out whom the culprit bartender is. After you figure that out then 1 to ask them for help is good.

I often grab the occasional beer and tip very well at our locations. That is a great time to ask them for help.

#513 4 years ago

Great suggestions.

I'll think about that some more @coyote. Since nothing can be done about the breaker, maybe I don't need the ability to turn them back on. If I knew they were off, I could message the manager, or the bartender directly and have them fix the problem.

Great ideas @whysnow. I'd thought about the second (although it might require two or three cameras), but not the first. I think getting an "out of order" sign or two would help, and a way to let people know what to do when there is a problem (turn off game, place out of order sign, message the operator). Then the job of the bartender is to make sure that any game without an out of order sign on it needs to be turned on. They have probably all had situations where a game is known to be broken, so it's okay it doesn't turn on. But we keep squeezing games in and several of them are now not on the breaker, which complicates things.

#514 4 years ago

If you dont have your direct phone number on a machine, then do that ASAP.

We have our cell phone #, website info, and a QR code all on games in multiple places (on pricing card and on pack box sticker)
    People and especially our regulars always let us know when issues come up.
    We always fix right away and then reply back to let them know.
    I also try to give the regulars free credits and the occasional beer when I see them on route also.

The more opportunity for people to reach you, the better.

#515 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

If you dont have your direct phone number on a machine, then do that ASAP.

We have our cell phone #, website info, and a QR code all on games in multiple places (on pricing card and on pack box sticker)
    People and especially our regulars always let us know when issues come up.
    We always fix right away and then reply back to let them know.
    I also try to give the regulars free credits and the occasional beer when I see them on route also.

The more opportunity for people to reach you, the better.

Totally. Just started making up some cards and will get those out. Post a pic of yours if you have it.

All my regulars know how to get in touch, and I almost always get notified when there are issues. But it can't hurt to put it on there, and I think it could generate more business (as most people I talk to assume that the games are owned by the venue). But, 80% of the problem is issues with turning on the games properly.

1 week later
    #516 4 years ago

ryanwanger Does the breaker get turned off no matter what or is it just used for the pins? I have all my games on WiFi power strips that second as surge protectors. They have daily timers that are managed through an app so they turn on and off each day at whatever time I set. I can also turn them on and off remotely and the app displays their current power status.

These work great, and each outlet can be labeled individually so you know which game is which. However, they only show if they are delivering power to the outlet so if the machine is unplugged or switched off you will still be blind. And if the circuit breaker is off they won’t even be online. I also have small webcams set up so I can visually see the machines incase someone switched them off. It’s also helpful to see if games were abandoned, there is a malfunction or they are being abused. If you see someone getting rough with them, just open your WiFi switch app and shut it off.

Akface 2.4 Ghz Wi-Fi Smart Power Strip Socket, Compatible with Alexa, Wireless Remote Switch, 4-Outlet Surge Protector 1700 Joules with 4 USB, 5-foot Extendable Cord, 1250W https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0741689GH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_tH4YCb2FTGQY9

#517 4 years ago

I use these
    https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-HS105-KIT-Required-Assistant/dp/B06WD6Q8K9/ref=sr_1_6

in conjunction with these, (all my outlets are above the ceiling grid.)

https://www.amazon.com/Leviton-5380-W-Receptacle-Industrial-Grounding/dp/B0007SL702/ref=sr_1_7

at a normal location I'd be scared to use them though, because they are expensive and I'd be afraid people would run off with them.
    The smart power strip tonedef131 mentioned is a better idea. The timers are fantastic, the more stuff you can automate the better. Relying on staff is always hit or miss.

#518 4 years ago

kasa does have a smart power strip now, that's awesome. I probably would of gotten this if it were available at the time. Would of been a lot easier.

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-HS105-KIT-Required-Assistant/dp/B07G95FFN3/ref=sr_1_6

There are 518 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 11.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/operating-pinball-machines-on-location-club/page/11 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.