Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by desertT1
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

cyclone settings (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider forceflow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 5 years ago

You might be able to find a used deltronics table top ticket eater (there is also a large display option that customers can see). I saw those in use for many years in the 90s before self-service ticket stations entered the market and became popular.

Quoted from desertT1:

Baytek Wonder Wheel.

All these type of quarter feeder games are designed to spit out a good number of tickets (if a player times it right). I don't recall what kind of adjustments are available. The ones I service are all set to default settings. Quarter feeder games are generally only popular in arcades that have a good selection of prizes. Otherwise, the fun value on them is minimal since it's over so quickly, and the main objective is to get the most amount of tickets possible per quarter to get bigger & better prizes. That's basically the whole point of a redemption arcade--have some good stuff with various ticket values, and people will keep dropping quarters to get the prize they want.

Note that this game has the jackpot rigged, so it's not completely a game of skill. The jackpot is mostly based on a percentage of plays. When these games were new, they were played a lot, since they gave the appearance of a skill-based game. But essentially, it's just a quarter feeder with a button. The arcades I still see these games at rarely get play and they are typically stuffed away in a far corner somewhere.

Games that rely on the position of a quarter to determine winnings are a pain. Sometimes (especially if they were routed for a long time), the sensors malfunction, or the zero position goes out of alignment. You also get a lot of people complain about "hey, it landed on the circled, but I didn't get anything". So, you often run into the question of whether or not it's a game malfunction, if a player is mistaken, or if a player is just lying to get tickets. Personally, I would avoid these types of games.

For some reason, themed coin pushers seem to popular these days, but the new ones are ridiculously expensive. The newer ones have collectible cards that are dispensed, and the arcade usually exchanges them for a certain number of tickets. Themed arcade games are a little risky though as the popularity of a theme can decline over time.

Ball drop games seem to be popular, and there are units that are various sizes (ball drop, monster drop, slam-a-winner, etc).

If you have the space, skee ball games are generally popular, as are carnival type games. Skill-based games tend to get a lot of repeat plays.

ball-based card games seem to be moderately popular, but they take up as much space as skee ball games and whatnot since they tend to have long lanes.

Shooting games used to be reasonably popular, but not so much these days. I've been noticing they've been disappearing during the last few years.

Note: This is just from my experience in the past few years in my area. Your area and customer base might be completely different.

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from ryanbrooks:

I’d convert the ticket system to a thermal printer and a RKS ticket notch to print interface. Tickets are expensive and make a mess. Thermal paper is cheap. Don’t get the ICT printer. It’s crap. Justin makes a good device. Same printer that most gas pumps have. Don’t rely on bar staff to do anything. As soon as you have someone that knows what to do, they’ll get fired or quit.

Or, a card-based system. That can be somewhat expensive to implement, but for a decent sized arcade, it can eliminate quite a lot of maintenance issues that go along with coin-based and ticket-based systems. I've also noticed the cash-based arcades have more staff than the card-based arcades, probably for that reason.

The arcades in my area are split about half and half between cash-based and card-based systems. I wish I could do a 1-to-1 comparison between them somehow to see how much of a difference it actually makes on earnings to see what customers actually seem to prefer.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider forceflow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/operating-non-pinball-machines?tu=forceflow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.