(Topic ID: 107001)

Opening the flood gates. (Powder Coating)

By Pinchroma

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 69 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Pinchroma
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-392.jpg
    53492-i.jpg
    Picture 043.jpg
    Picture 044.jpg
    photo_4.JPG
    photo_2.JPG
    photo_3.JPG
    pc3.jpg
    pc2.jpg
    pc1.jpg
    There are 69 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 9 years ago

All,

I am opening back up for individual and group buy games for powder coating. It's been a year since I have been able to do that type of work due to backlog and bulk games being done.

It's been a LOOONG year but a bunch of new things have come about. Colors and finishes you won't get from anyone else. I also learned a lot about sharing my color schemes and finishes with people in an attempt to help the hobby as a whole only to have them attempt to copy and sell on their own. That won't happen again

Some NEW things like a "Mystic" paint style powder over a custom base which about 50 people asked for. Base & Undercoat reactives. and a MATTE sparkle (This was fun to get right).

Pricing and timings depend on finish and powder stock.

PM for details

pc1.jpgpc1.jpg pc2.jpgpc2.jpg pc3.jpgpc3.jpg
    #2 9 years ago

AWESOME!!!!!

I am tapped out for spare cash currently but still have plans for MANY projects for you Alex!

#3 9 years ago

That's awesome. Still have your FT?

#4 9 years ago

of course! It will NEVER leave.

only problem is now I am ruined for all other powder. ALL future finishes need to have the texture feel you did. It is my favorite feeling finish and just pops with the color also!

#5 9 years ago

@Pinchroma, where are you located?

#6 9 years ago

This is awesome.

Where are you located?

#7 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

of course! It will NEVER leave.
    only problem is now I am ruined for all other powder. ALL future finishes need to have the texture feel you did. It is my favorite feeling finish and just pops with the color also!

That's the key. Not everything needs to be high gloss. Some of the most beautiful yet usable and friendly finishes are half tone mattes. It's the additives you put in the powder that make it amazing. Like a metallic blue sparkle in a matte finish. It needs absolutely no attention to stay perfect. Glosses depending on the color get micro scratches and under certain lights can be very noticeable.

#8 9 years ago

Oh, it says in the logo. Staten Island, New York

#9 9 years ago
    Quoted from labnip:

@Pinchroma, where are you located?

NYC. I ship pin parts all over. I have custom boxes for pin parts

#10 9 years ago

YES! I was hoping you would open up the gates again.

#11 9 years ago
    Quoted from nerdygrrl:

YES! I was hoping you would open up the gates again.

We had a Ton of pin work to plow through amongst the normal show car work and industrial apps.

#12 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pinchroma:

NYC. I ship pin parts all over. I have custom boxes for pin parts

International?

#13 9 years ago

Cool. Just out of curiosity, what materials are able to be powder coated?

#14 9 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Cool. Just out of curiosity, what materials are able to be powder coated?

Anything metal (conductive).

#15 9 years ago

Yes but I would imagine the shipping would cost as much as the powder work

#16 9 years ago

Just a few hours away too. Hmm, my family guy could use some color for sure.

#17 9 years ago

I'm too deep in on pinball spending right now to do anything like custom powder coating, but if/when I have the spare mod cash Alex is who I'd go to first. Shipping and all. He knows his shit.

#18 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pinchroma:

That's the key. Not everything needs to be high gloss. Some of the most beautiful yet usable and friendly finishes are half tone mattes. It's the additives you put in the powder that make it amazing. Like a metallic blue sparkle in a matte finish. It needs absolutely no attention to stay perfect. Glosses depending on the color get micro scratches and under certain lights can be very noticeable.

Any chance you could do this metallic blue sparkle with a black to match an Addams Family?

#19 9 years ago

I can do metallic black flat sure. I can do that in any color.

#20 9 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I'm too deep in on pinball spending right now to do anything like custom powder coating, but if/when I have the spare mod cash Alex is who I'd go to first. Shipping and all. He knows his shit.

Thanks Aurich! Knowing your artistic background that's a meaningful compliment. I'm sure I can do something insane for one of your games

#21 9 years ago

Your purply-blue MM was one of my favorite pins ever

#22 9 years ago

Alex does great work and he's a good guy to deal with.

#23 9 years ago

Welcome back online! I've two pins Alex did if anyone wants pics/vids I can post. Great work.

#24 9 years ago

I have an LOTR that has been in the holding pattern waiting for this.

#25 9 years ago
    Quoted from Erik:

Thanks Erik! I'll offer it as a group buy for MMr folks most likely.

#26 9 years ago
    Quoted from DeathHimself:

I have an LOTR that has been in the holding pattern waiting for this.

Mike any pics of Metallica? I never saw the finished machine

#27 9 years ago

here are some..photo_2.JPGphoto_2.JPGphoto_3.JPGphoto_3.JPGphoto_4.JPGphoto_4.JPG

This game is for sale also.

#28 9 years ago
    Quoted from Patofnaud:

Welcome back online! I've two pins Alex did if anyone wants pics/vids I can post. Great work.

Pat has the only game I have done today that is UV (black light) reactive. It looks crazy. I think he has a video of it

#29 9 years ago

Vid does not do it justice though. Since I took this vid, I also replace the balls with Glow Balls™ in UV reactive green.

#30 9 years ago

Actually Alex,

I'd like to get me STTNG done also, in the same color as the Met in addition to the LOTR.

#31 9 years ago
    Quoted from Patofnaud:

Vid does not do it justice though. Since I took this vid, I also replace the balls with Glow Balls™ in UV reactive green.
    » YouTube video

can't see video at work, what game?

#32 9 years ago

EATPM. Alex did the legs, full coindoor, lockbar and all habitrails in a 3 step process. Base was Super Chrome, colored with Shocker Yellow and a final clearcoat that is UV reactive (only seen under a blacklight). He also did my Bugs Bunny lockbar and rails to match a set of Pinballlife red legs.

#33 9 years ago

Very cool.

Alex, we may need to figure out some things to powder inside of my Predator. It shoudl be ready soon. Outside comes with bling but I can see doping some cool UV reactive on the pf being great!

Plan on holding me a slot and fitting me in once I get my Predator please!

#34 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Very cool.
    Alex, we may need to figure out some things to powder inside of my Predator. It shoudl be ready soon. Outside comes with bling but I can see doping some cool UV reactive on the pf being great!
    Plan on holding me a slot and fitting me in once I get my Predator please!

I had a quick discussion with Kevin about predator at Allentown last year. I told him we could do the reactives and they would look amazing but he seemed skeptical. A single stage red which is what he is using now isnt a good candidate for a uv cover. You need a metallic or shiny base.

#35 9 years ago

no, I mean coating some fo the smaller metal that is IN the game. Stuff like ball guides? screws over jungle plastics? honestly not sure how much could be done inside and work well?

#36 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

no, I mean coating some fo the smaller metal that is IN the game. Stuff like ball guides? screws over jungle plastics? honestly not sure how much could be done inside and work well?

Anything can be done. Just remember that the reactive is a 3 stage. So the powder is thicker than normal. Ok for wireforms. Be careful with small parts that have limited clearence as this makes the part 1/64th-1/32nd of an inch thicker per coat.

#37 9 years ago

OK

After I get my predator we can brainstorm what may be cool

#38 9 years ago

here are some..
    This game is for sale also.

photo_3.JPG 34 KB

photo_2.JPG 42 KB

photo_4.JPG 33 KB

This is awesome metallica trim!

#39 9 years ago
    Quoted from Erik:

This MM has found its way into my collection. I still need a new set of leg bolts to be painted for it. Is there anyway that you can get these done for me Alex? Would really appreciate it!!

#40 9 years ago

Leg bolts? Possibly if i do that color. Can't do just the bolts by itself though. Can't be cost effective

#41 9 years ago

Scared Stiff. Hard to see the yellow highlights. Beautiful work!

Picture 044.jpgPicture 044.jpg Picture 043.jpgPicture 043.jpg
    #42 9 years ago

Actually Alex,
    I'd like to get me STTNG done also, in the same color as the Met in addition to the LOTR.

I'm about to restore a STTNG and was thinking the same thing. If you get it done post pics.

#43 9 years ago

Great news, PM resent!

#44 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pinchroma:

Pat has the only game I have done today that is UV (black light) reactive. It looks crazy. I think he has a video of it

Crap, that would look awesome on my MET. Must resist temptation...

#45 9 years ago

If anyone local to Alex is having parts done, I suggest visiting the shop at least to drop them off, instead of shipping them. Then you can see how clean they keep the place and how that obviously contributes to the quality of the finish, see a bunch of finished parts & color samples, and ask Tom to show you the scars on his arm from the chem bath - I guarantee you'll keep one eye on that chem vat for the rest of the time you're there.

I just got another batch of parts back (Speedway Black with clear vision top coat) from Espo's yesterday, and as before, they're stunning. Yeah, don't go powdering games that "should" be stainless or whatever finish, but where appropriate it's pretty awesome, and Alex & Tom do a fantastic job from prep to finish.

#46 9 years ago

It's funny that a couple people have mentioned STTNG. I was upset I couldnt get my hardware in be powdercoated. Very stoked that you are doing work again!

#47 9 years ago

I have seen lots of powder coating....one of the best is Alex!

2 thumbs up.....anyone thinking about it, has only one place to go!

#48 9 years ago

Twlight Zone parts en route...!

#49 9 years ago

Nice Greg!...

#50 9 years ago
    Quoted from Erik:

Pics???

Scott

There are 69 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/opening-the-flood-gates-powder-coating/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.