pasted_image (resized).png
Roms_Photo (resized).JPG
2732_Remark.jpg
IMG_5443 (resized).JPG
20200918_091216 (resized).jpg
20200918_091101 (resized).jpg
walker decision tree.png
flight 2000-speech board modification.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Triplefox.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#12 4 years ago

I really like F2K - I actually was playing it on Pinball Arcade today and got a new high with 3,570,610.

The original ruleset favors completing the MB once to light specials and some additional scoring, but then it peters out after that and you're left just shooting the spinner instead of exploring the table further. So my focus would be on expanding the role of MB beyond the one-time lights. The alphabet lanes are the essence of the original ruleset and I wouldn't mess with them, rather, I would focus on making them stay in the role of being the main bottleneck, because they keep your eyes moving around the table looking for more opportunities. It's a great treasure-hunt type of gameplay. Adding too much emphasis elsewhere in the playfield is either going to make it a single shot game(spinner/drops/center) or too wild(anything around the pops).

One thing I would do, though, rather than lane changes, is to spot the last letter, once it's down to the final one, by hitting the center stand-up target. What usually happens when it's a struggle to finish BLASTOFF is that there is one annoyingly difficult lane that just can't be hit, but it's a different one every time. It's good to have an alternative available to smooth things out, and there's some precedent for this in the existing stand-up targets at the top of the playfield and the way the center target works after starting MB.

Other ideas for scoring:

A bonus collect jackpot and light show for 5 hits on the center stand-up target during MB - a good reuse of the 5-4-3-2-1 voice countdown in a different form and it makes hitting that target feel more "final" than the current thing, where you can just hit it once by chance and get your special. If not challenging enough, make it a hurry-up too.

Progress a super multiplier, which multiplies on top of the regular one, for completing the launch sequence, so that repeatedly going from MB to launch will give you the biggest bonus. Then ending MB by accident is not a "gotcha" - you're still progressing in the game even if you missed an opportunity for jackpot.

Add a hurry-up for the countdown drop targets: instead of a fixed score each time you progress in the sequence, it adds progressive score but also starts counting down a 15 second reset timer, so if you fire away to do your 5-4-3-2-1 and survive, the risk/reward balances out.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
$ 3.00
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

Playfield - Other
Bob's Pinball Stuff

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Crown Point, IN
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Triplefox.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/opening-flight-2000-new-software-up-to-the-community?tu=Triplefox and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.