pasted_image (resized).png
Roms_Photo (resized).JPG
2732_Remark.jpg
IMG_5443 (resized).JPG
20200918_091216 (resized).jpg
20200918_091101 (resized).jpg
walker decision tree.png
flight 2000-speech board modification.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Robotworkshop.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#64 4 years ago

If I can help with this project let me know. I have my Flight 2000 at home. It runs well with the original boards in it. I like the idea of not locking the balls during multi ball.

Also thought it may be really cool to leverage the memory targets. Maybe a special timed mode where they all reset and all but a random one stays up for a timed hit.

#66 4 years ago

I wonder if part of the popularity of the 6800 processor in the pinball boards was due to Heathkit over in Benton Harbor Michigan. They had their ET-3400 microprocessor trainer that used the 6800 and those were heavily used in schools. Benton Harbor isn't all that far from where most of the games were made.

You can usually get a ET-3400 trainer easily and they are nice for learning the 6800. There are also quite a few secondhand 6800 books available on Amazon.

I used to do tons of programming on the Z80 and one thing that jumped out when writing 6800 code is that just about every instruction affects the flags. That wasn't the case with the Z80.

Projects like this are great for dusting off old coding skills!

What cross assembler are you using?

1 month later
#131 4 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

I would have loved to know the thinking behind some of the choices made in the software - I just found a strange one, I noticed that the spinners (specifically the left one) have a function to not score at certain times.... very odd. Turns out that when you rip the left spinner to lock a ball, while the ball launch is going on, you get NOTHING for the spins! Hey BPfutz, that's a flat out RIPOFF. So, great rip, you can see it count up with the new software, then it pauses with no countup, ball launches, it starts counting again! This could be very significant points when the spinner is lit (500 per lit letter in this mode..... so 4000/spin lost....)
Guess what I'm going to change in the next revision!
Big Game has specific code in it to make sure you get EVERY spin when you rip the left spinner and hit the saucer.... it waits until the spinner is done before processing the saucer.

Awesome work on this!

2 months later
#198 4 years ago

As someone who has also written on worked on a lot of 6800 based code I can appreciate all the effort you are putting into this. It is just awesome! I just fixed a few issues on my F2K and Meteor so they are both setup and running well now. The Meteor has an Alltek in it but I was able to get and repair an MPU-200 for it and plan on going back to the original.

Quick question about the F2K update code. Does it change the way it stores data in the 5101 chips or is the layout of the data the same? Just wondering if that needs to be cleared or rest when swapping ROM's.

1 week later
#225 4 years ago

Maybe look at using one of the gottlieb pop bumper driver boards. I think one may work for that purpose. They make repros so getting them isn't hard.

2 weeks later
#301 3 years ago

Are there any unused lamps? Worst case maybe an unused lamp driver could be used to bank select extra speech. Not optimal but could be done. I could probably figure something out. Maybe use one of the options boards like Bally did.

Robert

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 125.00
$ 3.00
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Melbourne Beach, FL
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Crown Point, IN
$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 69.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Robotworkshop.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/opening-flight-2000-new-software-up-to-the-community?tu=Robotworkshop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.