pasted_image (resized).png
Roms_Photo (resized).JPG
2732_Remark.jpg
IMG_5443 (resized).JPG
20200918_091216 (resized).jpg
20200918_091101 (resized).jpg
walker decision tree.png
flight 2000-speech board modification.png
There are 520 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 11.
#301 3 years ago

Are there any unused lamps? Worst case maybe an unused lamp driver could be used to bank select extra speech. Not optimal but could be done. I could probably figure something out. Maybe use one of the options boards like Bally did.

Robert

#302 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Excellent! File seems to be truncated at 3216 bytes though. I'm automating a way to generate a source file for this using some macros in notepad++.
I wonder if there would a way to do bank switching with a mod to the speech board to enable even more speech to be added, or is there a limit on the table sizes?

Oops, I normally pad it with fffffff's to make up 4k. Guess it just means there is still free space

The data format of the S14001A is not able to point to sample data above 0xff0. So any 'bank switching' would require modifications to switch the roms entirely!

#303 3 years ago
Quoted from pure_penalty:

Oops, I normally pad it with fffffff's to make up 4k. Guess it just means there is still free space
The data format of the S14001A is not able to point to sample data above 0xff0. So any 'bank switching' would require modifications to switch the roms entirely!

It would likely require the data to be symmetrical between the banks, as well - u9 would stay the same but u10 could switch in and out externally.

Since the speech rom isn't full yet the main roms are, it might be a moot point anyway.

I'll pad the v3 out and get it integrated (somehow!)

#304 3 years ago

Good news: New routine added, instead of 3 bytes to do a jump, added a 2 byte version - since most of the tests of the "if equal, branch <some small # of bytes forward>" are the majority of them, each of the new routines saves a byte. So, now we're at 87 bytes free between the 2 roms, before adding any of the v3 new speech in yet.

Bad news: It broke something (of course!) - I'm sure it's going to be a typo on my part or a cut-n-paste error. Now, the first ball locked says and reports ball 2 locked, and the second and subsequent balls keep saying ball one locked. Whoops.

More Good news: I've started to consolidate even more things in the self-test modes to save more space. I really don't know how much more the code crunch is going to be able to take to make more room, but the last couple of times I was sure it was full and unable to be crunched down, I got almost 200 bytes back. (Along with a lot of bugs to be squashed....)

#305 3 years ago

Yep, over-zealous cut-n-paste caused me to test a flag as clear instead of as set..... doh.....

Back to regularly scheduled testing....

#307 3 years ago

This is awesome guys. So excited to add this to my game.

#308 3 years ago

More good news, bad news. Either I really broke something somewhere (like last time!) or there's some serious issue with the way the machine handles the balls going into the walker.

The good news is, after some more optimizations, I've now got **566** bytes free.

Of course, the bad news is, that's because I've ripped out the entire ball walker code including multiball launch, the maze kickbig code, and the count-the-balls code. I need to obviously replace it

Before I ripped it out I was up to 145 bytes or so, so that's good.

It looks like from the code I removed which I have printed out and highlighted up that this being the first stern multiball game, management was (probably rightly) concerned about balls being lost, hung up, or hitting each other in the maze, so there's a LOT of extra flags and code with timing, re-entering the code if a ball doesn't eject in a certain time, very primitive switch error correction. All in the interests of, what happens if the switches aren't registering? (Most people just fix the switches!) I understand where they were coming from and I'll re-implement some of this.

The ball counting/handling code is especially toothsome at well over 150 bytes.... I've replaced this with about 15 bytes (so far) since it's just a mirror of the trough switches and the virtual positions in the walker. I'm sure once I've got the rest of the routines done I'll see why the original was so long and convoluted, and I'm looking at a steep debugging phase.

This has really been my biggest dread in ripping this game apart in the first place, but if I can pull it off much more efficiently, all that extra speech will be able to be put in the game, and I should have space to try and pull a sound effect or 2 from other games.

It will probably go into the machine over the next weekend as I'm about 15% done with just walker/kicker area.

#309 3 years ago

Small update because it's funny:

Testing the code you start the game, and if the ball didn't launch from the trough, it would add a credit every 10 seconds or so. Also I noticed that the background sound would play at bootup.

The law of unintended consequences in software bit me here.... I was convinced there was a bug in the new audit handling code I'd re-written to save space, but the bug was still there after removing that code. Took a while to trace back, but it was from saving/loading the ball status byte that I'd added to the save/load player data routines (the stock code uses $208/$209 to save ball status, at the expense of not being able to use the existing PIGS commands to query values - which contributes to code bloat. I repurposed the maze flags to do this instead, but doing this means that the status is updated with each player coming in and wouldn't be current. I moved this code to outside of that series of subroutines but will probably just change the status code to not copy over it instead. (So it's the same for all players with no manual updates needed.)

For a first pass into the game this isn't too bad, I only blew one fuse

The other fun bug which was totally my fault is that the ball walker code worked but it ended the ball early. (I did this because some wiseacre would probably tilt as the ball enters, which normally hangs up the game if you time it right).

#310 3 years ago

So, wrong state of a flag for the ball ending early, but there definitely needs to be some smoothing code for the switches in there because they react too fast (i.e. double reaction when it should be).

I'm thinking of adding an option for a more difficult multiball start since countdowns should always start at 10 and run down to 1..... so you have to complete the 5 bank twice to enable multiball start. Maybe only for the second multiball..... or maybe do it once 10-9-8-7-6 to enable multiball, but if you wait and do it again 5-4-3-2-1, 2x will be active at the beginning of multiball instead of having to shoot the ball back into the walker.

Here's all the available words by game that could be put into f2k. There is also a talking calculator rom and I think some other ones that could be sourced from other products if needed. And of course pure_penalty is working on creating new words from scratch as well, so taking suggestions on words/phrases that could be applied to the game.

FLIGHT 2000
one, two, three, four, five, prepare, mission, stand, by, all, systems, go, first, stage, second, blast, off, player, commence, countdown

FREEFALL
one, two, three, four, five, ten, fifteen, twenty, thirty, forty, fifty, sixty, seventy, eighty, ninety, hundred, found, altitude, diver, divers, ready, free, fall, geronimo, all, jump, jumper, player, take, off, go, standby, beat, high, you, win, ?bade?, game, sky

LIGHTNING
thor, odin, freyr, earth, fairnadfak?, skold, valkyrie, warrior, journey, capture, begin, over, out, time, left, seconds, valhalla, godess, angered, pleased, welcome, unleashed, the, hammer, of, twenty, ten, thirty, one, two, three, four, five, returns, continue

SPLIT SECOND
S, L, P, I, T, E, C, O, N, D, go, all, ball, score, great, shot, second, good, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 10, shoot, again, high, gate/date?, start, extra, time, over, ladies, gentlemen, excellent, perfect, fair, split, fold, hurry, mystery

CATACOMB
prisoner, escaping, from, catacombs, one, two, three, four, captured, use, right, flipper, flip, action, advance, lights, with, left, get, them, you, win, an, extra, ball, a, free, adventure, once, back, beat, high, tilt, returned, shoot, fast, or, lose, shots

BERZERK
help, kill, attack, charge, got, shoot, get, is, alert, detected, the, in, it, there, where, humanoid, coins, pocket, intruder, no, escape, destroy, must, not, chicken, fight, like, a, robot

ORBITOR 1
shot, you, score, take?, I, me/the?, player, game, pin, stern, matched, it/get?, bonus, coin, tilt, wow, play, ball, beat, shoot, win, lose, try, R, is/S, set/get?, go, got, thank, M, please, aim, times, nice, high, good, free, great, next, extra, super, again, two, over, B/Bay?, if?, up, hello, for, very, much, out/ouch?, the, down, drop, target, lit, flashing, bye, in?, it?

#311 3 years ago

Thanks slochar (& @pure_penalty) for all your efforts !!! Love F2K. First pin I bought ('01) and still own it. Still wrapping my head around all the improvements; seems like everything one could hope for and more. Spinner counters and potential added speech are definitely above and beyond.

As a tournament game F2K doesn't get much love. I think one potential issue is lock stealing. The change to no "free" points for the walker/maze will be a big help. Since you're still finding ways to squeeze stuff in... Any chance of a setting to clear locks after each ball? This would be like a hard/tournament setting for multi-ball. Lit/Qualified locks would carry-over if you didn't start multi-ball, but you'd have to relock them. This would slow the game down due to lock clearing; but... make it more difficult to repeatedly play multi-ball, plus negate any form of lock-stealing. Your 10-count for subsequent multi-balls sounds good too.

Will think about the speech options. Thanks again to everyone involved!

#312 3 years ago
Quoted from Da_Vagrant:

Any chance of a setting to clear locks after each ball? This would be like a hard/tournament setting for multi-ball. Lit/Qualified locks would carry-over if you didn't start multi-ball, but you'd have to relock them. This would slow the game down due to lock clearing; but... make it more difficult to repeatedly play multi-ball, plus negate any form of lock-stealing

Do you mean physically ejecting the balls and waiting for them all to drain, or just deleting the virtual memory of how many balls are locked?

#313 3 years ago

You wouldn't have to actually clear the locks out there is no/little advantage to launching a ball via the maze vs. shooting it from the plunger.... you're nudging to get the lit lanes either way. It's already set to not pay the 10k maze kicker if the current player up didn't earn those locks.

There would be no point to keeping your qualified locks if you have to physically put the ball back into them, you're getting credit for the lock anyway when you shoot it. (although it would affect the 5-4-3-2-1 countdown bonus 10k/20k/30k/40k.)

It wouldn't be difficult to add the lock no-carryover feature except for finding a free dip switch to enable/disable it. There's already no lock stealing in the game stock, since each player has to physically put a ball up into the top of the walker to get credit for a lock - it's just what happens after that that might make a difference. There IS a setting game to game for that (also stock), where each player will get credit for whatever was locked the last game, but most people have that one turned off. I happen to have it on right now for testing, but my normal mode is to have it off.

It's not as easy to replay multiball once you play it as stock, because the spot blast lamp does NOT light after the multiball any longer - it's only lit as part of the quickshot. And it only spots ONE letter, not the entire word like stock.

I'm still debugging the new walker routines, it's a real bear (see the screen shot for the decision tree transcribed from my sloppy note paper to the code) - I can see why the original code was really convoluted as well, although I think there was some bloat involved there.

walker decision tree.pngwalker decision tree.png
#314 3 years ago

The idea of physically clearing locks is: say on ball 1 you lock two balls but don't start multiball, the other player plays multiball and drains with no balls locked, you start ball 2 needing two successful shots to the lock to get your progress back to where you were on ball 1(i.e. you need plunge twice, get control twice, and make two lock shots to put the balls back). Contrast this with your opponent NOT clearing the locks; you don't need to put the balls back, saving the need for getting two successful lock shots.

The physical lock clearing ensures that players don't impact any other player: everyone has locks cleared every ball. I guess it's not "stealing", so much as some players can be disadvantaged by what happens with other players, and other players are not. In a worst case scenario you could finish the countdown for multiball on ball 1, drain, make the "release" shot 4 more times and still not get multiball (because other players cleared locks). There no way to avoid this "worst case", but if locks are cleared each ball it's the same for all 4 players.

Always a drag when you need to make those extra two shots, and an opponent in your group never had to as the player ahead of them always politely "puts the locks back" for them.
Hopefully that's clearer.

Seperate topic on using the walker shot to get top lane letters... One of my very favorite shots in pinball (and one of the longest shots) is F2K left flipper through the upper "T" lane. That shot going up the "T" & down the "S" to complete "BLAST", for me, is one of the most satisfying in pinball. Also love "calling" the shot for "T" from a left flipper trap when playing with for fun.

#315 3 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Do you mean physically ejecting the balls and waiting for them all to drain, or just deleting the virtual memory of how many balls are locked?

Deleting virtual memory, along with the points changes for the maze pretty much addresses my crazy concerns; and is far more elegant . It leaves the issue of plunging top lanes vs. maze kickouts, but that's ok. Deleting the virtual lock count would address my pet peeve because all players need the same number of shots to the walker to start a multiball (not impacted by what other players do).

In the end the changes are amazing already, just thought I'd add a personal pet peeve. I THOUGHT, but may be wrong, that there was a F2K on the finals stage at Pinburgh that cleared locks after each ball. This is what put the idea in my head.

#316 3 years ago

The removing the lock memory ball-to-ball is no problem, there actually code stock to do this - any time a player starts multiball, as part of MB start the game clears any and all locks from the other players. The only difference at ball end if that I'd add a routine to check a dip switch, and if it's set, run that subroutine, then move onto the next player/ball. I suppose the argument could be made that after playing multiball, and relocking balls, other player's status should be returned - the lock removal code should be changed to remove locks that are missing in the walker from other players' at ball's END instead of while the multiball is starting, otherwise a player that starts MB and re-locks 2 balls HAS disadvantaged other players who had 2 locks collected as well, because as far as the game knows, they never had them. This I will note and look into changed once I have the walker/multiball code debugged.

Yes, I get where you are going with the locks and attempting to level the playing field for all players; however, it is impossible for a player in multiball to end their ball with balls physically still in the lock with the new software. Balls shot to the walker in multiball will start 2x/3x playfield scoring for a short time, walk through the walker and get ejected from the maze (these DO score the 10k each for the walker shot, and each of the left/right kickouts, because it's the same for all players)

There are tons of early solid state games where players get disadvantaged by what other players do with respect to physical ball locks, and it doesn't stop tournaments from using them. One of the things I'm going to change on Black Hole when I get around to it is to figure out how to get rid of the need to eject the ball in the left capture lane when you lose a ball without collecting it - I always thought all those gottlieb system 80s that did that were goofy, ball on playfield during a valid, non-tilted ball to me means you should be able to flip at it.

The only advantage a player gets with stock software and someone else loading up 2 balls in the walker is the 10k maze eject "bonus" vs. plunging, and that was eliminated a long time ago (the current downloadable version 35 has this for instance).

#317 3 years ago

Thanks again for the effort to polish a ~40 year old game that deserves more love. Impressive how you can keep things straight with all your changes underway. Me not so much I've owned F2K all these years, but needed to pull the glass off to confirm that with multiball ball ready at end of ball 1: I could need three more shots if player 2 didn't "leave" me any locks; or one more shot if they got a house-ball or played multiball and relocked 2 balls again.

Totally agree with you on some of the advantages/disadvantages of early SS games in competition. Suffering those disadvantages over the years is probably why I was dreaming of an F2K where all players were immune from all the others (sounds like a covid mode ), even if the cost was it being a tougher game for every player. As you say, these old games are still a blast to play in competition and hopefully with your changes we get to see more of F2K.

P.S. On Black Hole I usually reserve all my frustrations for draining from the lower playfield because I didn't have my re-entry gate.

#318 3 years ago

Extensive playtesting is starting with the walker code replacement. It's not 100% (I *really* wish there were a way to get switches in the lock mech!) yet so won't be posting the update just yet - and there's a couple of bugs to be worked out (of course!) - currently there's about 140 bytes free for the additions of more speech/maybe some other games' sound effects grafted in (this will not be as easy as the commands are different for most games, and flight2000's appears to be unique as the original programmer needed to save space and this is where he did it).

There's definitely some timing things to tweak. I was tilting creatively as well during various walker states to ensure that the game recovered nicely. Need to add the start game switch logic still - could use the speech 'standby' to indicate that the game is acknowledging you hit the button while balls are walking out of the maze.

I also doubled checked that the clear the lock switch 24 still works at game start; just need to add the clearing of it to ball end in the edge case Da_Vagrant suggested, where relocked balls after a player's multiball would transfer back to players that earned them on their balls, and to add a dip switch somewhere to enable clearing all locks all balls for the masochistic level of multiball.

#319 3 years ago

Looking forward to this next update!

#320 3 years ago

Added speech, both from pure_penalty and myself
tilt, coin, detected, in pocket, X, ten, nine, eight, seven, six, ball, skill, extra, lit, shoot, is, wow, again, shot, escape, earth

I'm working on adding the new word "orbit" (as in "escape earth orbit") but the B isn't coming through very well. There's still about 200 bytes free in the speech rom. I was able to consolidate some of the data from the original modified rom as it's the same data to save space.

I don't want to overload the talking though, just because it's there. For instance, it's tempting to have every ball start with "shoot skill shot" - but that will get annoying quickly.

Will likely add something like "you beat high score" and still want to merge the L into the word "fight" from berzerk to make "flight", and work the word thousand in there (from a calculator rom).

#321 3 years ago

Agree too much speech gets annoying.

Feel like a successful Quick Shot to the "Blast" lane should be rewarded with a call out. Maybe something like: "Fast Blast" or "Wow Fast Blast". If "super" was available: "Super Blast".

Purely for selfish nostalgia would love to hear "chicken" from berzerk. Like on an outlane drain, but only in certain game state (e.g. drain when partway through the countdown sequence). Could be a true taunt like: "player [player #] is a chicken".

#322 3 years ago

Orbitor 1 has "super"
Catacomb has "fast"

So yes, this could happen. I've already added in when you have the new dip 23 to pay an extra ball 'extra ball lit' (I wish the PF said WOW there instead of special).

Now with the calculator roms it's conceivable that the multipliers could get a call out too, like 13x, 15x etc. although that's kind of tedious. Maybe 'advance X'. There's actually lots of speech from other things that would 'make sense' until there's overload on the talking.

Nothing is more annoying that Split Seconds' hurry.... hurry.... hurry.... ugh. I kind of wish I had the game back so I could fix everything that's wrong with it, but the gameplay was just Meh to me.

Maybe I'll acknowledge a made skill shot with Got skill shot?

Using the spin counter after it stops maybe rate the spins, "great spins" or something like that. Adding the S onto the front and back of "pin" from Orbitor should be doable.

#323 3 years ago

Could even shorten to "X" on each multiplier advance and/or call-outs for certain thresholds like 5x, 10x, & 15x (e.g. "10 X Go"). Another bonus one might be for reaching full bonus (15k) like "all bonus go", or "bonus system go". Trying to keep with the theme and having the spacecraft crew calling out checklist items.

#324 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Orbitor 1 has "super"
Catacomb has "fast"
So yes, this could happen. I've already added in when you have the new dip 23 to pay an extra ball 'extra ball lit' (I wish the PF said WOW there instead of special).

I think I remember that the "WOW" took up a surprising amount of rom space for a 3 letter word! If we use it, it should probably be the last thing we throw in there.

#325 3 years ago

Removed speech escape, earth (each took up a LOT of space, for not much results)

Added Danger, power, bonus, score.

Going to add to the main game tilt warnings (that's what the 'danger' call out is for).
Power will go with the 2x/3x scoring - "2x POWER", "3x POWER"

"bonus" will be for hitting the quickshot standup, "nice" bonus, or "super" bonus, etc. - or maybe "super bonus" if you drain with 19k bonus or something like that.

I might add skill shot too but not sure where that should end up - there's already a lot of speech at game start. It would be "player 1 prepare for mission shoot skill shot"

Maybe on a made skill shot "nice skill shot".

Thanks to Quench for sending me a bunch of other roms that use the same speech chips to cull words from. Eventually I'll post a separate thread with all that information for people to play with.

I do think it would be possible to modify the speech board to bank select, if one of the speech roms he sent is any indication it's much larger and the data layout looks like it's already bank selecting. If that can work, then other mpu200 games that have full speech roms can be modified as well for more speech.

#326 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Thanks to quench for sending me a bunch of other roms that use the same speech chips to cull words from. Eventually I'll post a separate thread with all that information for people to play with.

Hey Quench - I've love a copy of those too!

Quoted from slochar:

Removed speech escape, earth (each took up a LOT of space, for not much results)
Added Danger, power, bonus, score.
Going to add to the main game tilt warnings (that's what the 'danger' call out is for).
Power will go with the 2x/3x scoring - "2x POWER", "3x POWER"
"bonus" will be for hitting the quickshot standup, "nice" bonus, or "super" bonus, etc. - or maybe "super bonus" if you drain with 19k bonus or something like that.

Are you packing these into the last rom i made? if you'd like me too, I can.

#327 3 years ago

Are you packing these into the last rom i made? if you'd like me too, I can.

No, I'm now rolling my own. PM me your email and I can send you the disassemblies of the sound roms Quench sent me (and the current version). I used a clever way to find duplicate sound data (ok, it was multi-line 'find' haha) and eliminate it.

I still have some unknown rom and a calculator rom to go... and back to fixing bugs in the code. (And adding the sound callouts, which hopefully I'll have space to use....)

#328 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

No, I'm now rolling my own. PM me your email and I can send you the disassemblies of the sound roms Quench sent me (and the current version). I used a clever way to find duplicate sound data (ok, it was multi-line 'find' haha) and eliminate it.
I still have some unknown rom and a calculator rom to go... and back to fixing bugs in the code. (And adding the sound callouts, which hopefully I'll have space to use....)

Interesting - what I really should also have done was write a tool which tracked all accessed memory addresses to determine if anything was not referenced during playback and could be scrapped!

Will PM. I'm very interested in that larger ROM

#329 3 years ago

Hey quench - I've love a copy of those too!

slochar will sort you His work here is amazing!

BTW, great work on analysing the sound data/word tables! It's greatly helped speed up bringing extra/new vocabulary to the game.

Quoted from slochar:

one of the speech roms he sent is any indication it's much larger and the data layout looks like it's already bank selecting.

That ROM appears to have four languages built in that are bank selected via dip switches which control the upper two ROM address lines:
00: English
01: German
10: French
11: Spanish

Apparently the speech chips address line A11 is connected to A12 on that ROM. A11 on the ROM is software controlled by a TTL chip.

#330 3 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

slochar will sort you His work here is amazing!
BTW, great work on analysing the sound data/word tables! It's greatly helped speed up bringing extra/new vocabulary to the game.

That ROM appears to have four languages built in that are bank selected via dip switches which control the upper two ROM address lines:
00: English
01: German
10: French
11: Spanish
Apparently the speech chips address line A11 is connected to A12 on that ROM. A11 on the ROM is software controlled by a TTL chip.

Thanks!

You wouldn't happen to have a schematic? I was expecting at least some of the low address (English?) references to decode without any modification, but it choked on the first word!

#331 3 years ago

You wouldn't happen to have a schematic?

Sorry I don't. That info came out of the MAME source:

https://github.com/mamedev/mame/blob/master/src/mame/drivers/fidel_excel.cpp

It's the "Voice Excellence" version of Fidelity Electronics chess game.

#332 3 years ago

Interesting - what I really should also have done was write a tool which tracked all accessed memory addresses to determine if anything was not referenced during playback and could be scrapped!

That's a good idea and hopefully can happen. I don't doubt that there's some data they had in there that was just canned and copied from other roms. What I did was search for the next 'reference' in the word recipes to see if it was referenced or not - if it wasn't, I assumed that $10 wide block was part of the previous blocks' data and I copied it all over.

Once you see the current version you'll see what I did in reference to that (along with commented out stuff for words I ended up removing, until/unless I can get some kind of bank selection going on.... would have to be external since I don't think there's anyway to have the chip do it, although the digitalker rom appears to reference stuff outside.)

#333 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

until/unless I can get some kind of bank selection going on....

It will mean speech board mods and your best bet might be to sacrifice one of the clock speed (pitch) or volume attenuation bits programmed by the MPU board.

#334 3 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

It will mean speech board mods and your best bet might be to sacrifice one of the clock speed (pitch) or volume attenuation bits programmed by the MPU board.

The timing and data arrangement would be tricky for sure. I might just stick with what's going on now and maybe sacrifice some things (the danger callout while nice for a tilt warning, is its own unique set of data that doesn't match anything else, and so takes up a LOT of space.)

Ditto with the full 10-1 countdown - that might not be needed. I'll have to play the game with the rule in place to see how it plays. Currently, I'm going to implement it as 10-6 lets you start multiball if you want, but if you then drop the 5-4-3-2-1 the game will give you either 2x or 3x scoring right off the bat (for the normal timed countdown period)

#335 3 years ago

I think the software already writes to the clock speed and volume attenuation bits before issuing the actual speech select command.
But yeah, personally I'd rather not modify the speech board.

#336 3 years ago

Changed dips 15/16 formerly HSTD credit, dip 16 acts in conjunction with dip 6 (replays).
Dip 6 off=no replays for HSTD
Dip 6 on, dip 16 now selects # of replays for HSTD, on=3, off=1 (no longer able to select 2)

Dip 15 is now tilt warnings per ball, set off=no tilt warnings, any tilt activation=instant tilt (factory behavior)
Dip 15 on=3 tilt warnings per ball, any tilt activation="DANGER" callout. There is a short timeout between tilt activations so that the bob will settle slightly.

Somehow with yet more rewriting of some routines, there is now 123 bytes free in the lowrom area, 2 bytes free in the upper rom area, and 48 bytes free in the now-doubled speech rom.

Also added but needs testing the non-removal of ball locks from subsequent players after one player gets multiball, but then also relocks one or 2 balls, as suggested by @da_vagrant. (This change actually saved some valueable romspace - the game always checks at ball start if the ball locks are still valid, so it's not needed to specifically clear them. This seems like this whole routine was a deliberate decision on the original programmer to bone over players when one player gets multiball and the other loses their locks).

In the process of adding the "full" countdown function, 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 with voice call outs for either the second multiball, a more difficult setting, and/or the ability to have 2x available at multiball start instead of on a relock type situation. With 125 main rom bytes free this should be possible. Each 'number' callout is 4 bytes now (instead of 6) so adding 10-6 is 20 more bytes, then of course the support code to use it. I've found even more free flags in the game that were never used individually, oddly. (I'm kind of surprised at this, but not really because Pfutz uses Flags in very strange ways in all of his games.... in pinbot he uses them to track the vortex multiplier values and energy value, despite having a slew of free locations elsewhere to do so... probably for convenience)

I still need to tweak the multiball starting special effects show, it just seems "off" to me - the blast off seems to count down less (score indicates otherwise) and the timing needs tweaking.

Also, at first boot, if there are balls in the walker, the game will prevent starting until they end up in the trough. If you press the credit button during the ball return time but before they are all in the trough, the game will say "BALL" to indicate it is waiting (I guess I could use "STANDBY" instead there instead). This is only for the first game after bootup, if you want to break the game at other times when the balls are in flux you can still do that.... not sure what advantage that would/could give.

#337 3 years ago

I'm at a decision tree.... for all the extra options, I'm out of dips to repurpose.

I should think about dipping into the coin ratios (I know I said I wouldn't do that unless needed.... but unless I 'can' some options to values that people might not like, I have to do something.)

And I have some more debugging to do! The 10-6 count worked but then it counted down the 5-1 immediately without resetting the drop bank and starting you back at 5.... oops. I'm sure that's a dumb error (like most of them end up being....)

Oh, and the "unused" flags I thought I'd found? Nope, they're used for something.... but what, I do not know yet. Regardless, I found a free flag to use for the 10 countdown routine (the former $3a flag that's for the stock replay knocker that was never installed).

#338 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

I'm at a decision tree.... for all the extra options, I'm out of dips to repurpose.
I should think about dipping into the coin ratios (I know I said I wouldn't do that unless needed.... but unless I 'can' some options to values that people might not like, I have to do something.)
And I have some more debugging to do! The 10-6 count worked but then it counted down the 5-1 immediately without resetting the drop bank and starting you back at 5.... oops. I'm sure that's a dumb error (like most of them end up being....)
Oh, and the "unused" flags I thought I'd found? Nope, they're used for something.... but what, I do not know yet. Regardless, I found a free flag to use for the 10 countdown routine (the former $3a flag that's for the stock replay knocker that was never installed).

Honestly considering that almost anyone that does use these roms would be for home use. I don't think using the coin ratio dips as much of an issue. Maybe tie it into a dip for either free play, or a basic quarter for a credit, or similar. Usually on the older sterns i just set the replay score to like 10k and leave it at that.

I'm not much of a fan for the 10-1 countdown for multi-ball, but having the option controlled by a dip works for me. It is freaking hard enough as it is just to get it using the 5-1.

#339 3 years ago

Most of the complaints in the past about the rom mods did center around the removal of location friendly options. People actually put modded games out in their barcades or locations especially if there a tournament element involved.

I'll try to come up with something if I cut 1000 bytes out of the code I'm sure I can figure out a couple options.

#340 3 years ago

Small update, tweaked some speech, the full 10-1 countdown is working, need to keep testing the changed multiball carryover stuff. Extensive playtesting is commencing and once it's solid-ish this will go onto the site for download.

Found out what the original code was doing with the unused flags - they were all for choreography of the multiball start in the ball walker. Not needed with the new ball walker code.

Been playing with the harder setting on the full countdown 10-1 - it's really not that much harder than the original. Maybe just implement it in the 2nd multiball, or have an option to do so. I can possibly open up 4 NVram locations to add some options there instead of on the dips. (For tilt warnings for instance, that way you can set how many you want instead of the canned 2). I plan on adding an nvram clear function once all is said and done for convenience purposes.

A made skill shot now says 'skill shot' with the same sound effect I had been using.
Tilt warnings if set will call out 'danger' (1st), 'danger danger' (2nd) and 'tilt' (3rd).
Extra ball on standup if set will call out 'extra ball lit' and 'extra ball' when collected.
Shoot Again will call out 'shoot again'.
Quickshot made on standup will call out 'good shot'. If quickshot standup won't spot a letter because you've got them all, it will give you an extra bonus multiplier.
2x/3x scoring during multiball calls out '2x power' and '3x power'. When decayed to 1x, just says '1x'
Game over now says 'mission over'.
Ball waiting at bootup says 'standby ball' while ball(s) returning to outhole.
Zero credits at game over will trigger the 'coin detected in pocket' speech. This unfortunately is a top candidate to be cut. It is however the main reason I wanted to fool with the speech roms anyway, for a joke on a friend because I won $20 from him in the 80s when he bet me that Gorf said this, not Berzerk.

Current inventory of speech on the rom:
one, two, three, four, five, prepare, mission, stand, by, all, systems, go, first, stage, second, blast, off, player, commence, count, down, tilt, coin, detected, in, pocket, X, ten, nine, eight, seven, six, ball, skill, extra, lit, shoot, is, ready, again, shot, score, bonus, power, over, danger.

Not implemented yet from the speech rom:
Bonus - need a good place to put this.

Not in the speech rom but can be implemented but at the expense of something else:
flight, wow, escape, earth, enabled, (working on: orbit)

#341 3 years ago

Great progress, and nice implementation of the speech

#342 3 years ago

OK, more good news/bad news.

Good news, is that instead of fooling around with dip switches for some options, since I got 4 bytes back in the nvram section, I added the ability and adjustments 19, 20, and 21. These will be set to:

19 Tilt warnings, range 0-3. 0 is factory, instant tilt, no warnings. 1=1 warning, next is tilt, 2=2 warnings next is tilt, 3=3 warnings, next is tilt. Recommended setting is 2. Danger, dangerdanger, tilt. If you set to 1 warning, you will get dangerdanger on first warning, then tilt.

20 Credits for beating HSTD, range 0-3. Set to 0 to not payout any credit for hstd surpassion, etc. 3 was factory.

21 Maximum credits (just for the guys on locations!) - range 00-99. If you set it to 00 that's your own fault! It will operate as freeplay without adjusting dip 19 in this mode. If you just want freeplay without winning credits, use this new setting, otherwise if you want to rack credits up, set the max here and for free play, put dip 19 on.

What's the bad news? I need to get $32 bytes free to add the option settings this way. It was an ugly-ish hack to get this in there since Stern games were never intended to be able to set single byte adjustments. Now, I do have some free rom space in the lower area now, but this will use up all of it. So there would be no more wiggle room to get bugs fixed or anything else going on.

But, progress! Still playtesting.

Also, since these are new adjustments, first install of the rom should have you go through and at least zero out 19, 20, 21.... otherwise if there happened to be say $ff set in the hstd payout location, yup, it will payout 255 credits and knock for each one. Holy coil meltdown.

#343 3 years ago

Haha, whack whack

I hope there is a readme to keep track of the changes.

I was playing older code this evening and made skill shot perfect and - said outloud ... hope speech is added here!

#344 3 years ago

I've been updating the info file for the game as I go along it won't show all the incremental changes, that was in the codebase but I split that off as well. Now it's just bugs in each revision in that file and new features. I have been archiving every build though, 1 test burn=1 archived source code file, so I don't go way off the rails like I sometimes do with this stuff.

There's currently zero bytes free in low rom and 5 free in upper rom. The changes along the way really ate up a lot more codespace than I was anticipating, so time to come up with another 100-byte saving breakthrough!

#345 3 years ago

Is it complicated to install an attract mode with speech?

#346 3 years ago
Quoted from HPR:

Is it complicated to install an attract mode with speech?

No, because it's already in there

If by attract mode with speech you mean that the speech will entice a player to play every so often (I think it's every 6 or 12 minutes I forget what I timed it out as). Dip 17 was repurposed to do this, (speech is always assumed on in the game) - on=attract mode speech, off=no

If you mean a "tutorial" like Bally Atlantis and Centaur have, there's no room in the code to add something like that. In fact, changing the attract mode at this point would be fraught with disaster as it's been cut down without changing it but it's a precarious set of code.

#347 3 years ago

Added adjustment 22, multiball difficulty, range 00-03

00=as stock, whatever 5-4-3-2-1 progress you have when you get 2 balls locked/blast off spelled stays.

01=5-4-3-2-1 resets

02=5-4-3-2-1 resets, 1st multiball for player needs 5-4-3-2-1 countdown for all systems go, subsequent multiballs require full 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 instead.

03=5-4-3-2-1 resets, all multiballs need full 10-1 countdown (uber difficult!)

Rearranged some stuff to make some space again so it's fitting. Still pretty close to the edge here. Eliminated a routine that checks for hstd, pays the credits, then checks the SAME exact data again to store the hstd. I originally though this was because they were paying all hstd credits out as they should, but if player 1 beats HSTD, player 2 does as well, but not by as much as player 1, only ONE person would get the hstd credits. If player 2's score had been higher, BOTH players would get it. This is kind of a ripoff in the original code! Bally handles this correctly IIRC, checking all 4 players first, paying out the credits, then storing the HSTD in a separate run through. I'll try and add this in, but it's kind of an edge case here.

#348 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

No, because it's already in there
If by attract mode with speech you mean that the speech will entice a player to play every so often (I think it's every 6 or 12 minutes I forget what I timed it out as). Dip 17 was repurposed to do this, (speech is always assumed on in the game) - on=attract mode speech, off=no
If you mean a "tutorial" like Bally Atlantis and
Centaur have, there's no room in the code to add something like that. In fact, changing the attract mode at this point would be fraught with disaster as it's been cut down without changing it but it's a precarious set of code.

Oh thanks didnt know!
I like levels of difficulty coutdown from 10 to 1!

#349 3 years ago

Fixed the HSTD code

Have about 16 bytes free for any other bugs!

Quoted from HPR:

Oh thanks didnt know!
I like levels of difficulty coutdown from 10 to 1!

Yeah, the full set of options is hard to keep track of and the attract one is somewhere on page 3 of this thread (page 4? page 2? dunno). The readme in the eventually posted next beta version will be completely up to date.

The full difficulty really hurts when you go 10-1 and miss getting the start.... or worse, last ball, outlane spots the 1..... ugh..... hit start again....

#350 3 years ago

I did have a chance to take a look. Every single byte of the phone data in the original F2K ROM is accessed when reading all words. I guess, they did a good job packing it in there!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 125.00
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

Playfield - Other
Bob's Pinball Stuff

There are 520 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 11.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/opening-flight-2000-new-software-up-to-the-community/page/7?hl=quench and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.