(Topic ID: 329686)

Open Open coin door to use buttons

By Don44

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1533 (resized).png
    IMG_1534 (resized).png
    IMG_1503 (resized).jpeg
    DSC00782 (resized).JPG
    image (resized).jpg
    db66efa21ad460b0836010e4c52d11b725233285 (resized).jpg
    33E7F4C7-A4E5-4D48-8B67-A226FF0104B0 (resized).jpeg
    2831A5BE-67E1-470B-9015-2753FFD2B357 (resized).jpeg
    #1 1 year ago

I started working on a Jm and I am getting the message open coin door to use buttons. The pictures will show what I’m faced with I’m not really sure how to hook them up. Any help would be greatly appreciated

2831A5BE-67E1-470B-9015-2753FFD2B357 (resized).jpeg2831A5BE-67E1-470B-9015-2753FFD2B357 (resized).jpeg33E7F4C7-A4E5-4D48-8B67-A226FF0104B0 (resized).jpeg33E7F4C7-A4E5-4D48-8B67-A226FF0104B0 (resized).jpeg
    #2 1 year ago

White wire with red stripe goes to white arrow. Green wire with red stripe goes to green arrow. According to the manual.

LTG : )

db66efa21ad460b0836010e4c52d11b725233285 (resized).jpgdb66efa21ad460b0836010e4c52d11b725233285 (resized).jpg

#3 1 year ago

Wires in you picture don't match what is in the manual. Best follow them to the coin door interface board, maybe markings on it can help you.

#4 1 year ago

Thanks Lloyd I will have to look into it further. What’s the other button for?

#5 1 year ago

Page 3-24 has the memory protect on the coin door interface board, lower right corner of drawing.

Other button is your high power interlock switch, I don't see anything about it in the manual. It cuts high power to solenoids and flashers to make it harder to accidentally short high power to switches or lamps.

#6 1 year ago

Correct me if I am wrong. The DMD is coming up with the message “ open coin door to access menu?”
    If so, you have battery leakage on your MPU . Have a close look at U20 and the LM339 chips below the batteries.

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from generalgman:

Correct me if I am wrong.

You see the wires not hooked to anything ? You see the memory protect switch not hooked to anything ? You might be wrong.

Quoted from generalgman:

you have battery leakage on your MPU .

Worth a look see. Just in case more issues.

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from LTG:

You see the wires not hooked to anything ? You see the memory protect switch not hooked to anything ? You might be wrong.

Worth a look see. Just in case more issues.

I understand that. I figured he might have taken the switches out looking for a problem. I have had this exact issue on a couple of my pins. Just trying to help.

#9 1 year ago
    Quoted from Don44:

I started working on a Jm and I am getting the message open coin door to use buttons.

Quoted from generalgman:

Correct me if I am wrong. The DMD is coming up with the message “ open coin door to access menu?”
    If so, you have battery leakage on your MPU . Have a close look at U20 and the LM339 chips below the batteries.

^^^^^ THIS. It's most likely to be that you have an issue on the CPU board. The software displays the "open coin door to access menu" when it detects switch 22 as closed and you press one of the direct input switches (coin door operator switches). The SPDT switch (two lug switch with one of the lugs actually cut off) is switch 22. It's disconnected so that's not the source of the switch closure.

Quoted from Don44:

The pictures will show what I’m faced with I’m not really sure how to hook them up.

The SPDT switch is switch 22 (as above). The DPDT switch is the high voltage/power interlock switch. For this switch, establish which lugs are C and NO and connect the same colored wires to each of the poles.

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from generalgman:

Just trying to help.

I appreciate that. That is why I included your post about it in my response.

Thank you.

#11 1 year ago
    Quoted from generalgman:

There was some old batteries in it and a little bit of corrosion but JM has the battery pack on a smaller board over the mpu. The machine works fine but when I try to use the service buttons I get the message when I press on a button. Would I be able to start a game or would the message be displayed all the time if there was acid damage on the mpu?
    Somebody obviously had messed with those 2 switches previously. One switch had 4 wires coming out of it and the other had none so I knew that could not be right. I posted before I went to bed last night so I am going to see where the wires lead to on the coin door interface board.

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from Don44:

There was some old batteries in it and a little bit of corrosion but JM has the battery pack on a smaller board over the mpu. The machine works fine but when I try to use the service buttons I get the message when I press on a button. Would I be able to start a game or would the message be displayed all the time if there was acid damage on the mpu?

If you're concerned, post images of the CPU board. Preferably without the battery daughter board. Alkaline corrosion on WPC-S CPU boards is uncommon but not unheard of.

Quoted from Don44:

Somebody obviously had messed with those 2 switches previously. One switch had 4 wires coming out of it and the other had none so I knew that could not be right.

The 4 wires (BLK-YEL and WHT-RED pairs) are high voltage transformer secondaries. It's possible that these wires have been taken out of the circuit by disconnecting the tap at the transformer secondary. These wires should connect to the DPDT switch.

If the software does NOT display the "coin door open disables high voltage" message then it's possible someone has shorted switch 22 closed. Switch 22 does not actually disconnect the high voltage. It only indicates the coin door state. The software uses this state to display the "coin door open disables high voltage" message. Your second image show the GRN-RED and WHT-RED wires but not the quick connector tabs at the crimped end. It's also possible someone shorted them further upstream.

If you disconnect J206/J207/J208/J209/J212 but leave J205 connected and power on, you might be able to enter diagnostics. Ignore any check fuse message and try to enter diagnostics. If you can then enter switch edge test, connect all those disconnected connectors and post an image of the switch state.

#13 1 year ago
    Quoted from LTG:

White wire with red stripe goes to white arrow. Green wire with red stripe goes to green arrow. According to the manual.
    [quoted image]

I had been busy but just looked at it a little better and the two wires were chopped inside and I am able to get rid of the message and go into test menu. The other four wires go to the other piece I’ll assume. Does anyone know where they go

#14 1 year ago

I have everything hooked up correctly now. One more question though, my coin door appears to be missing the piece that pushes the buttons in. does anyone know what part is missing? I don’t currently have another Williams game from this era to compare it to

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
    #15 1 year ago
    Quoted from Don44:

does anyone know what part is missing?

Flap welded to door to push those buttons.

#16 1 year ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Flap welded to door to push those buttons.

DSC00782 (resized).JPGDSC00782 (resized).JPG
    #17 1 year ago

Thanks! The glove is inoperable on jm so I’m going to take that apart next.

1 year later
    #18 20 days ago

hi everyone,

Resurecting this post as I am now suddently, and completely out of the blue, getting that infamous "Open Coin Door to use buttons" message on the DMD screen everytime I switch on the game (1993 Williams STTNG WPC).
    it starts with a "dong" and a message on the screen, than does it another time , and than some more and more, and eventually the DMD screen goes stupidely crazy browsing through the game menus and deleting the high scores (all except the Grand Champion one, fwiw).

#19 20 days ago
    IMG_1503 (resized).jpegIMG_1503 (resized).jpegIMG_1533 (resized).pngIMG_1533 (resized).pngIMG_1534 (resized).pngIMG_1534 (resized).png
    #20 19 days ago
    Quoted from ParisPinballAdct:

hi everyone,
    Resurecting this post as I am now suddently, and completely out of the blue, getting that infamous "Open Coin Door to use buttons" message on the DMD screen everytime I switch on the game (1993 Williams STTNG WPC).
    it starts with a "dong" and a message on the screen, than does it another time , and than some more and more, and eventually the DMD screen goes stupidely crazy browsing through the game menus and deleting the high scores (all except the Grand Champion one, fwiw).

It sounds the test switches are registering closures when they should not be, and the memory protect switch is registering as closed when it should not be. Inspect the coin door interface board and the MPU. Any damage to either board?

#21 18 days ago
    Quoted from ParisPinballAdct:

getting that infamous "Open Coin Door to use buttons" message on the DMD screen everytime I switch on the game (1993 Williams STTNG WPC).

Two thoughts. Battery damage on your CPU ? Coin door diagnostic switches, are the backs of them where the wires are soldered to sticking out far enough to ground to metal ?

#22 16 days ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Two thoughts. Battery damage on your CPU ? Coin door diagnostic switches, are the backs of them where the wires are soldered to sticking out far enough to ground to metal ?

Hey,
    There doesnt seem to be battery damage on the CPU. I have looked as closely as i could..

Coin door diagnostic switches:yes i reckon they are far enough to ground to metal..

I’ve spent the last few days on this issue and cant find anything and have reseated every connector in the cabinet and in the backbox.

Next step is I have ordered a replacement coin door interface board and this will either solve the problem and will eliminate the cabinet from the culprits and i guess then i’ll focus on the CPU board...

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.