Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 42 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by MrBally
  • Topic is favorited by 13 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

price (resized).PNG
    IMG_20191118_0003 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20191118_0002 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20191118_0001 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cottonm4.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from p1001:

A little bit of pinball history[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Yeah, knowing from many what their wages were in the 70’s he was probably paying maybe 5 bucks an hour for these guys IF THAT.
    My grandmother told me about making $3.50 an hour working in accounting.
    Everything gets more pricey and Stern was practically scraping games together at this time. Materials varied greatly on some of the big runs like Meteor.
    This is a great historical resource though. Probably should find a way to make it easier to search.
    “Open Letter from Gary Stern - 1979”

Meteor was produced in 1979. In May of 1979, I started working for Boeing Aircraft painting aircraft parts. It was a union job and paid $6.60 an hour. And I needed every penny. I bought a house with a $350.00 month house payment and I started working all of the overtime I could get. Before I got this job I was building lanterns and ice chests for Coleman Company for about $4.50 per hour. $4.50 per hour let you pay the rent.

In 1978, Carter was President. In 1978, we suffered from a cut off of oil from Iran. Gas lines formed. Gas prices went up; Along with everything else. Carter's solution? Print money. Print lots of money.

It was hard times for many people.

In 1980, Ronald Reagan was voted as President. Inflation was rampant. In 1981, Paul Volker was the Chairman of the Federal Reserve. To combat inflation, Volker jacked interest rates to 22%. Oil prices collapsed and oil workers were roaming the country looking for work.

This is the market Stern and all other companies were working in during the 70s and early 80s. A lot of companies did not survive. That Gary Stern is still around today is an amazing feat.

To anybody reading this who is cutting a fat hog in the ass with stock market winnings...it was not the way in the 70s. The markets stank. In 1982, inflation had finally been tamed and interest rates started backing off and then the stock market took off.

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from underlord:

Was it? He was still giving buyers a micro-list of BOM, and using ANY costs as a price increase. Building a luxury item based off of parts cost=second hand product.

Back then I believe most pins were sold to operators as a business and money making venture. I think I would be safe in saying that not very many pins were sold to home users. That would place pins in the camp of business tools and not luxury items, as you suggest.

That said, what standards are you using to consider a product, any product, a second hand product? For instance, you used to see lots of pins in bowling alleys. Lots of people bought their own bowling balls. What standards would you apply to determine whether a bowling ball was first rate or second rate, or a luxury item?

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yeah that's one of the main points of the letter. Gary says he's done his part by brutally crushing his work force and now he's begging ops to do their part by sticking with 3 balls for 25 cents - it's profit way!
    Also, does someone want to explain to me why Stern electronics lockdown bars and rails aren't magnetic? Are they made of aluminum, or did Gary manage to find something even cheaper?

They are made of stainless steel. I don't know which grade of stainless but real cheap stainless can develop rust.

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

For those that like reading old letters and interviews, these Steve Kirk interviews while at Stern are well worth the read.
    http://www.backglass.org/stern/steve_kirk_playmeter_4.pdf

Nice read, o-din.

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

In the city limits of Chicago, all factories were Union. Bally moved pinball production out to Franklin Park & Bensenville to eliminate union labor rates.

It is all relative. In late 70s I was living in a small to mid-size city in Nebraska. The city built an industrial park and needed to fill it. Perfect Circle Piston Ring company out of Indiana moved in. I assume it was to escape higher wages from its home state. But the company moved in and the starting wage was something like $5.00 per hour which was above the local wages and upset all of the local businesses which had to raise wages to match. As it is said, business is cut throat. And here we are 40 years later and everything has moved to China.

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Once Dragon's Lair was released, the Route Operator I worked for raised all Asteroids, Ms Pac Man Zaxxon and Super Zaxxon machines to 50¢ per play. Had nice price signs made up to glue above or on the coin doors. The intention was to increase income. Like Toll Roads using the old max/min formula. Some will no longer play but those that do will help increase income.
    It was a dismal failure. Income dropped to 30% of the former amount. Within three weeks we put all of the pricing back to Quarter play.

Yes. Economic theory of price elasticity of demand. Demand for pin playing is highly elastic to the price point. I wonder what would have happened if he would have bumped his prices by a dime for 35 cents per play.

#34 4 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Just a Nickel, to 30¢/play would have been met with little resistance and netted more revenue. But the machines had twin quarter coin chutes going into one cash box.
    Changing one to accept nickels would not be practical for collecting cash or reliable machine operation. If either chute jams, the game is down. With twin Quarter chutes, one jams, the location puts tape over the bad coin slot and calls us. Game still makes money.

I see. I never understood the logic for more than one slot per coin. Doh. Talk about a roadblock for building incremental revenue.

#38 4 years ago
    Quoted from Grandnational007:

Of course, I yearn for the days when the History channel played WW2/military, technology, aviation, etc. documentaries instead of all the scripted picker/pawn and other "reality" crap shows they do now, so that should tell you my mindset, haha.

Maybe you know, maybe you don't, but if you are jonesing for WW2 footage head to youtube. You can find it all. Russia, Germany, concentration camps, death camps, Tarawa, Iwo Jima, Normandy, China-Burma-India, Marshall, Bradley, Stillwell, Eisenhower, you get the idea. All the stuff that sponsors would not not buy TV advertising for in the 70s.

Netflix has some cool WW2 stuff, as well.

Now, back to pinball history.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cottonm4.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/open-letter-from?tu=cottonm4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.