1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Ashram56
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

Good morning everyone,

In the scope of a homebrew pinball project, I'm trying to assess the various options available, with regards to infrastructure, although... There does not seem to be a lot.

I found essentially MPF, PyProcGame, and SkeletonGame.

There's a rather comprehensive summary here: https://pinballmakers.com/wiki/index.php?title=Programming

So naturally I looked at MPF, which seems to be the most comprehensive. However documentation is sometimes rather scarce on some topics, such as the media controller which is rather focused on simple displays (such as DMD) in it's present state. I could not for example find an example code on how one would blend a 3D animation on top of a video.

There seems to be a protocol (BCP) upon which anyone can build a media controller, but the only alternative I found is Unity based, and has not been updated for quite some time (and Unity causes some problem in my use case, as I intend to run on an ARM SBC instead of a full PC which I deem is way overkill for that usage).

Soooo.... what are you guys using in general ? I don't see any alternative to MPF if using other HW than P-Roc.

I remember some discussions about alternative branch of MPF or PyProcGame, but I can't find them anymore

Regards

#2 1 year ago

Docs are pretty good for figuring out the basics but have you checked out the MPF user list on google groups? Discussion there is pretty active with people asking questions figuring out how to do all sorts of things basic and advanced with plenty of developers, power users and newbies. Everyone is friendly and helpful. People have figured out how to do a lot of things I wouldn't have guessed just reading the docs.

If you ask about what you're trying to do on there someone will have already done it, tried it, thought about it or have plenty of ideas. Worst case scenario it still puts the idea there to percolate in the minds of the community and indicates interest to the developers.

My homebrew is backburnered right now while I work on 2 restorations so I haven't followed the discussion day to day recently but I do recall the unity thing came up at least once in the last year or two.

#3 1 year ago

Yes I did find the Google group.

At this stage I'm trying to gather an understanding. I did raise questions which were not related to how to use MPF, but rather source code information (as I intend to run in a specific manner to make deployment easier).

#4 1 year ago

From my experience, I've used the MPF documentation for most of what I have done. When I've ran into issues, I actually received help from a few people who post their custom games on here. There is also a slackgroup that gives help.

I wouldn't let it deter you from using MPF. I am using a full PC with 3 monitors, so far I haven;t had any issues with MPF. I will agree that the documents can be scarce around this but have been able to work through everything so far.

#5 1 year ago

I've read a bit of documentation lately, and the media controller is my main concern.

The default one runs on kivy, which unfortunately does not seem to have good support of HW acceleration for video decoding on ARM based SBC as far as I understand (it relies on gstreamer from what I could gather, but I could not find details on which platform they support for accelerated video decoding). And for our purpose, we do not want to use a PC at all, this is absolutely not possible

Need to dig further on this

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/open-discussion-on-pinball-framework and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.