Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 28 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 13 years ago by robin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 13 years ago

There was a bug in the Top 100 code which caused Iron Man not be included in the Top 100. I have fixed the bug and re-ran the Top 100 calculation job.

Iron Man comes in on 3rd place! I haven't had a change to play one myself, but such a high score reminds me of the day Batman Dark Knight entered the Top 100 on the #1 position. Will Iron Man stay up there with the best games? We'll see in next weeks update!

#2 13 years ago

It won't last long top 50 maybe...

#3 13 years ago

I agree. There's too many hard core old-schoolers that I don't think give the new Stern's a decent shot. I bet people will vote it down just from pictures of it.

#4 13 years ago

only time will tell,
    with the new-ness factor and more people finding it

#5 13 years ago

The real problem is that anything under 50 ratings shouldn't qualify. With under 10 ratings it's WAY too easy to skew the numbers.

#6 13 years ago

If all machines needed 50 ratings, there would barely be a top 100.

#7 13 years ago

How about 20?

#8 13 years ago

25 would be a more accurate amount of ratings as it would average out the highs and lows and less chance of 2 or 3 ratings skewing the whole ratings for the game!

#9 13 years ago

Then there wouldn't be a top 200.

#10 13 years ago

The number of ratings is fine. Over time games start to settle where they belong. I wouldn't sweat it.

I thought I had already reviewed Iron Man, but I hadn't. I added my review to the mix, as I'm sure others are right now. We'll see how it shakes out.

What is not cool is when someone see an anomaly (perceived or real) in the rankings and they try to change them by submitting bogus scores. In time the games will find their places in the ratings, so it's best to just give you most honest score and see how it plays out.

#11 13 years ago

I think you are right Jar155 over time it works out.It is not cool when someone gives an unaccurate rating up or down.

#12 13 years ago

I give all the games a 10, because pinball is awesome. Just kidding. I use the comments more rather than rankings if I want to see if I might like a game. It will come down in time. It would be nice if Stern came out with a game that challenged the top ten though.

#13 13 years ago

I agree. And I immediately dismiss any comment which says "It's not a Williams" or some such.

#14 13 years ago

I look at other pinballers personal ratings table to get a general idea where they slot games up against each other....and see if they have as good taste as myself

Currently Iron Man is sitting in 22nd position on my personal ladder.

#15 13 years ago

I would like to see Stern do more games that would make top ten too vt8man,they have LOTR in top ten and Spiderman might get there as well as TSPP is very close! Spiderman is my alltime favorite pin.

#16 13 years ago

Spiderman is an awesome pin, I know this now that I own one. I also love Williams pins most. There is no way in my opinion that Iron Man is anywhere near as good as Spider Man.

#17 13 years ago

IM will drop down the list as more people play it. Especially the ones who aren't biased because they own it. And then there are the "Stern Haters." While a good game, I don't consider it an A lister. Top 50 definitely but not top 10 or even 20. There just isn't enough going on and there are a bunch of mechanical/design issues which annoy me. Such as, there are at least 4 locations on that playfield where the ball routinely gets hung up and has to be nudged loose (and that is with a steep PF setting.)

#18 13 years ago

I personally think that for any games rating to actually be counted they should at least have 100 ratings. Just so you get a true average from more than 10 people, who either own the game or just love the iron man movie.

I have personally played the game and gave my honest opinion of it. I know for some games 100 ratings is unrealistic. But in that case they shouldn't be counted. Or just averaged out in another section because of the lower number of ratings. Sorry IM fans, but it doesn't even place in the top 100 for me. But other games on the top 100 don't honestly belong in some spots either.

Take a game with 100 or more put those in tier 1 of top 100,
    then 75-100 below that tier 2
    50-75 tier 3
    25-50 tier4
    1-25 last on list tier5

#19 13 years ago

A game that everyone has been able to play for 20 years has a much better sample. Iron Man should have a following, but he's only been on the pinball scene for a few months. In the "League of Justice", it seems like Spiderman and Batman do better currently. To be honest, I think a Shazam pin would kick all their asses. Never seen one of those.

Roger Stern is the author of Iron Man. That's pretty wild, considering it's Stern pinball. Get him to sign your Stern superhero pin backglass. Shazam!

Your comments about how you like/dislike the game means more to me than the rating. Of course I want my games on the top, you should be in touch with your games. To be honest, I'm just glad I have an arcade in my basement. Of course you have TZ, and it's better than my TOTAN. Hard to say one game is better than the other.

#20 13 years ago

Speaking of misplaced machines....... how 'bout the $900 bang-for-your-buck Big Bang Bar currently in #2 place? How do I get a BBB for $900?????

#21 13 years ago

A BBB for $900? Obviously something went horribly wrong with our automated Ebay watching price calculating mechanism

I'll look into it...

#22 13 years ago

I don't know why Stern games don't perform well on the list. Even accounting for sample bias from MM, AF etc. owners and Stern haters, Stern games seem to drop unnaturally low. NASCAR / Grand Prix isn't as deep as White Water perhaps, but they're both great pins that are fun to play. Stern games are competently designed and are at least as good as mid-90s Bally & Williams machines. For my money though, they haven't had a truly great masterpiece other than Simpsons though...

#23 13 years ago

Then you haven't played Family Guy yet! It's so much fun!

I must admit that I was once myself kind of a "Stern hater". I just didn't like the feeling of the games (compared to my BLY/WMS only collection back then). The artwork was shitty (it still kinda is with all the photoshop love going round), the feeling was just 'wrong' and the sound and music quality was horrible! I must confess I hated Lord of the Rings when it came out.

Gradually I have come to love the Stern games for what they are: great fun! I think this starts when you stop comparing them to Bally/Williams games. Everybody say after me: STERN IS NOT BALLY/WILLIAMS! They flipper differently, not worse.

No really, I think Stern deserve more credit than many "pinball fans" give them. This former Stern hater now has a Spider-Man, a Simpsons Pinball Party, a Lord of the Rings and a Family Guy. I like them just as much as my Bally/Williams games (AFM, TZ, STTNG, DW etc....)

#24 13 years ago

Yeah, Spiderman is probably my favorite game. But I was never a Stern hater.
    I also never got into that Ford vs. Chevy vs. Mopar BS with muscle cars. That is just a bunch of marketing brainwashing. I just shut my ears once someone utters the words "X brand is best and Y sucks because it is a Y." I love my Mustang but I would sell it in a heartbeat for anything faster, no matter which brand it is.

#25 13 years ago

Robin,I played Family Guy again today great game I like it better every time I play it!Spiderman is slightly better game and a better theme,for me anyway!!

#26 13 years ago

Agreed, but you know, I really hate that spiderman movie (all of em) but the pin is indeed mad fun! A big compliment towards Steve Ritchie and his team I'd say. You could compare to many of the VERY bad movies that Williams turned into great pins: johnny mnemonic, demo man, shadow and many more!

#27 13 years ago

Robin....don't forget all the bad licenses that Data East (and Sega) had, that turned into some great games ala Last Action Hero and Lost in Space.

#28 13 years ago

Last Action Hero is a lot of fun, but Lost in Space? Played it once, but don't remember much of it (often not a good sign)?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/oops-small-problem-in-this-weeks-top-100-update and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.