top card head.jpg
top card inside.jpg
top card lower.jpg
top card upper.jpg
top card full.jpg
top card cab.jpg
top card 1.jpg
#1 10 years ago

hi all - although i wasn't planning on it .. .. .. i just couldn't resist picking up yet another wedge head to add to my group

this time a '74 Top Card - and met another great local pinballer in the process

anyone want to see some pictures ?

cheers, Ron

#2 10 years ago

Yes.

LTG : )™
( congratulations ! )

#3 10 years ago

yes, please do

#4 10 years ago

"Top Card" is an excellent and often overlooked wedgehead. Nice grab!

#5 10 years ago

Sure, at least a picture of the playfield. It seems that most all have blown out playfield, usually because of a lot of planking or damage in the reds. And every one I have seem someone junk out has been worse or the same as mine.

Of course, I think Vic Camp found one that wasn't blown out!

#6 10 years ago

ok here we go

all in all a great day ... stumbling across this and playing some games on it while watching PAPA TV - Pinburgh and our local lad Robert G. make it to the final four!! Way to go Robert!!

i know many think Top Card too easy - and it certainly isn't as challenging as some of the others but i had played it in the past and found it very enjoyable in its own manner

of all the Gottlieb card themed wedges i liked its playfield art the best and so when the opportunity presented ... !! every collection needs a card themed game ...

this is the first of my pin purchases that was pretty much pristine when purchased (as seller described it) - needing no shopping and playing beautifully - so an easy set up once i got back home -its previous care takers treated it very well - it even had all the posts at the tougher 'con' positions, where i always move mine to anyhow

approx 42,300 plays if i recall

and some pictures ...

top card 1.jpgtop card 1.jpg

top card cab.jpgtop card cab.jpg

top card full.jpgtop card full.jpg

top card upper.jpgtop card upper.jpg

top card lower.jpgtop card lower.jpg

top card inside.jpgtop card inside.jpg

top card head.jpgtop card head.jpg

another nice clean machine that will live happily amongst the others ...

this is the first machine i have seen with the odd 'borg ship' metal cube protector around the transformer too ... curious!

cheers, Ron

#7 10 years ago

WOW! That looks beautiful for its age. Not to mention...42,000+ plays! You have to appreciate that.

Good luck with it and enjoy.

#8 10 years ago

One of the better examples of this title I have seen. Super good grab!

#9 10 years ago

what's with the cage over the transformer?

#10 10 years ago

hi guys, thanks - yes a very nice example

i particularly like the plastics on this one .. maybe hold the record as some of the largerst playfield plastics!! but i like the classic card look and the king and queen look great when lit up

i will eventually put nice new clear mylars under the bumpers as well ... and i need to get one more proper red flipper bumper eventually too .. or i may leave mismatched ...

Boiler - i have seen these in several mid seventies pins and would love to know the story myself?? it is very heavy gauge and looks like a factory install?

i need to go check ... but am wondering ... as you play a game and the rollovers value cycles from 10, 100, 1000 ... it may carry over wherever it was when game ends, for next game? (likely not, it likely resets but i will check)

if it does carry over that would be incentive to pay attention and try for the rollover right off the plunger shot ... i guess that is the intent regardless of its value ..

great fun playing it - lots of variations to the other wedges and it plays very fast with the four slingshots and excellent bumper spacing too (and i think these bumpers are all independently wired too, not in pairs or groups like many of the gb games)

off to play a bit more

cheers, Ron

#11 10 years ago

Looks sweet! There was one for sale in Kamloops recently too...

How come you got a bunch of games on their backs? If you're not playing C37 or El Dorado you need to sell me one for my place

Tom

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

what's with the cage over the transformer?

It seems to be a Canadian electrical code requirement because other games seen with this addition have the "Canada" stamp on the motor board. I don't see it on this particular one though.

#13 10 years ago

Hi Tom ... not sure i could ever part with my wedges .. !!

I have a small place right now so will rotate through setting them up every couple of months

Non of my other machines have the guard and i am sure at least some of them are also canadian production

i will take a closer look at the cage later, there may have been a tag stapled near by it too

btw ... rollover value resets and starts at the 1000 value each game -

#14 10 years ago

Definitely love me some Top Card!

#15 10 years ago

actually, playing a bit more it seems like the roll over value might cycle from game to game

it appears that it starts at whatever value it was on at end of last game ... i think!

#16 10 years ago

Roll over value is based on score motor position. So next game just depends on how many motor cycles are required.

Beautiful playfield on that one. Makes me jealous.

#17 10 years ago

Hi Ron,
Sweet, Really nice. Where has this pin been hiding?

I have seen that cage in Jukeboxes as well. It may be a provincial electrical code item. Not a Federal code thing as I have not see them on all Canadian Pins that I have looked into.

#18 10 years ago

Cactus, thanks - yes that is what i was figuring after a few more plays

Darcy - i'm trying to get some history on this one - by the way hope all is well - i may be in your neck of the woods tomorrow eve on a layover for work -

cheers, Ron

#19 10 years ago

one of my favorites as a kid would love to have one here
nice grab you lucky stiff ::

#20 10 years ago

Very nice manitouguy. Thanks for the pics. Now just to find a way to make those other pins horizontal.

#21 10 years ago

A great looking machine all the way around!

Not sure if I ever played one but it looks fun.

Enjoy!

Ken

#22 10 years ago

Looks awesome dude, another mint looking game added to your already awesome collection.

#23 10 years ago

Please.... post some more pictures of that low played beauty...
Nice find!

2 weeks later
#24 10 years ago

hi guys, playing around a bit more with my top card ...

tonight i might put some nice shiny new mylars under the pop bumpers

noticed that the lamp under the ace plastic at the top (the 'top card') has a 'sleeve' over it

is this correct ... do others top card machines have a colored sleeve for that lamp???

curious, mine is so faded but i am wondering if it was the typ red colored tube to give a red glow?

regards, Ron

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from manitouguy:

hi guys, playing around a bit more with my top card ...
tonight i might put some nice shiny new mylars under the pop bumpers
noticed that the lamp under the ace plastic at the top (the 'top card') has a 'sleeve' over it
is this correct ... do others top card machines have a colored sleeve for that lamp???
curious, mine is so faded but i am wondering if it was the typ red colored tube to give a red glow?
regards, Ron

Slide it off and flip it over. If its yellow on the bottom, it was a yellow sleeve. If its red or pink, it was red. Steve at PBR sells all colors. It was common for Gottlieb to sleeve a bulb so the player wasn't looking directly at the bulb filament or to color the area (like red for a special). It may have also been used in close proximity where a bulb socket was located directly behind a spot target where a strong ball strike could have broken the bulb.

#26 10 years ago

Here is another possibility. The red cover is meant for the Special Insert, but the bulb with the cover was placed in the wrong location. At some time in the past. Some one switched the 2 adjacent bulbs to test one or the other, or the socket.

#27 10 years ago

thanks as usual guys ... when i pulled the insert, it looked like maybe a home job (bottom edge was all rough or melted or poorly 'cut' / 'torn' so not sure it was factory

but when i stood back as if to play, with it off, the bulb was glaring right into my eyes ...

i tried a red bulb which just didn't look 'right' so put the sleeve back on for now - i think cactus had it right - it was likely there to soften the glare

as for color i will take another look to see if there is a hint of what it had been ...

i don't think the specials needed the red sleeve in this case, as those are all under the typ red inserts on this game

cheers, Ron

4 weeks later
#28 9 years ago

just showing off a pic with mylars replaced with nice new ones (likely doesn't look like much but really makes a difference to get the older cloudy ones off of there)

6.JPG6.JPG

i forgot to take more pics of the internals etc. and have now dropped Top Card down to make room to put C37 back up to allow another local pin guy a chance to have fun as he has never played it and is curious

next time its up i'll snap a few more shots

slowly, i am getting the hang of pop bumper removal and resolder ... a very simple task for most of you i'm sure, but my soldering skills are still 'just adequate' at best .. but improving!

cheers, Ron

#29 9 years ago

That's an extremely nice example of Top Card. It's hard to find that game in exceptional condition.

Mike O.

#30 9 years ago

thanks Mike, i agree

i wasn't looking for a Top Card right now, but just couldn't resist when i saw the condition - the backglass had been touched up but was also pretty nice ... but i knew of an nos glass locally as well - it is much better but did have a couple little blemishes from being rubbed in storage over the years

all in all a great game

the larger yellow areas were a bit dirty and whites had a wee bit of ball swirl

with some care i got out my magic eraser and rubbing alc and gave a very gently go ... not expecting much, but the marks came right off too

although serial numbers match on cab and head, head is tinged yellow and cab is not ...

cheers, Ron

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/oops-i-did-it-again and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.