• 47 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by triadwatch
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

• Taxi Williams, 1988
#1 11 years ago

It's official now. I'm part of the club!
System 11 pins were the current crop at the height of my pinball playing days back in my teens & early twenties. When the arcades disappeared around me in the early 90's so did the pins, even from gas stations & laundrymats. I never really got to play any of the great dmd machines that came later. (Until recently, that is.) Cyclone, F-14 Tomcat, and Taxi ate most of my quarters back then. Mere weeks after I decided I wanted a pin for my home, this nice Taxi became available an hour & a half drive from me. I don't believe in fate but this just feels right.

My thanks to Black_Rose, banker, & shanetastic.

EDIT: Added gameplay vid of this pins first day at it's new home.

#2 11 years ago

Taxi is a great game. Next you need a cyclone and diner and you're all set for a little while.
Enjoy!

#3 11 years ago

Congrats, I just happened to buy a Taxi too! It's a great game!

#4 11 years ago

Congrats! One thing...nice video. I do not know if you got a good deal or a bad deal (it seems you know though cause you did research and seem connected with info for this pin). I have to say something though...nice video and almost has me convinced you know alot about pins. However, you said you are learning and this is your first pin so I am not going to call you a liar lol. What I will do is tell you what a great video, with talk through, you did!!! I mean that....after watching this video...after knowing how stupid and crazy the world is and how pissy many folks are in general....after...after thinking and watching this video...you are the type of person I would be lucky to have as a pin buddy, friend and/or neighbor! I mean that...you sound like a really good/honest/great person!

Thanks and peace!

#5 11 years ago

Congrats!!

Helleva pin.

#6 11 years ago

Congrats! My first pin was Taxi also. It's a keeper and will never leave my collection.

#7 11 years ago

Congrats. Welcome!

#8 11 years ago

Congrats on your first pin, taxi was also my first pin, mine is kinda beat up on the playfield but still a favorite.

#9 11 years ago

Nice video!

It's great to see somebody get their first machine, and be excited about it. Now where's the gameplay video?!?

#10 11 years ago

congrats!!!! it wont be the last sys 11 you'll own,speaking from experience.

#11 11 years ago

Congrats.

***WARNING *** Collecting pinballs can become addictive!
(Thankfully, my wife helps me resist the siren song of more pins!)

#12 11 years ago

Thanks for the kind responses everyone. Pinballdad, too bad we live so far apart! We can be buds on here though for sure. Thanks!

Quoted from Firebaall:

Now where's the gameplay video?!?

Uploading now & will add it to the first post asap.

#13 11 years ago

Nice! Hope to get to play it in real life sometime. Really like the theme.

#14 11 years ago

Congrats great pin.

#15 11 years ago

Congrats on a great first pin, love me some Taxi!

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from SPeD66:

It's official now. I'm part of the club!System 11 pins were the current crop at the height of my pinball playing days back in my teens & early twenties. When the arcades disappeared around me in the early 90's so did the pins, even from gas stations & laundrymats. I never really got to play any of the great dmd machines that came later. (Until recently, that is.) Cyclone, F-14 Tomcat, and Taxi ate most of my quarters back then. Mere weeks after I decided I wanted a pin for my home, this nice Taxi became available an hour & a half drive from me. I don't believe in fate but this just feels right.
» YouTube video
» YouTube video

Ok...ok...ok. I will be "that guy" to suggest the obvious!!!! Nice pin...this much is true...but...what you failed to do is create/establish a unique (non-main-stream) camera angle!!!!! You fell into the typical, common "Molded" pin frontal vantage shot perspective (did that sound alright...convincing?...ok, good<whew>.

Now what would be more appealing and pinball respectable is to stand by the wall (next to the backbox). Then face outward...hold the video camera up...look in the viewfinder...center the two beautiful girls...ummm...I mean center the pinball apron but aim higher...so the two beautiful girls are centered....ummm, I mean get the pinball buttons and the front of the machine in the video. Then hold the, "Record" button as long as the two beautiful girls are in the viewfinder...ummm...I mean the pinball machine is there, yada, yada, yada...You know what I mean

Nice pin...and ladies around the pins having fun...what a match!

#17 11 years ago

I hear ya Pinballdad & don't think I didn't contemplate some zoom shots/interesting angles. But the young hottie is the girlfriends daughter & the blonde is my buddies girlfriend. I had to ignore my instincts & film with discretion.
But point taken. I'll try to work something out next time if I don't get any objections.

#18 11 years ago

Lol...SPeD66...you are a nice addition around here! Thanks for the quick reply! My wife just watch your vid with me and loves your pin. Seems she used to play it back in the day! Hey...anyway. Nice video again! I cannot honestly remember watching a private video, so well done, in years! It's almost like you rehearsed it 2-3 times as if it were a wedding...lol...don't take that the wrong way I am just saying you seem so calm, cool & collective during the shoot...gj. Then you add in the thanks and praise you give to Black Rose, Shane and the Banker...then your buddy is there...then add in the beautiful girls.....hmmmmm...I WANT TO BE YOU! lol...peace bud and welcome to the coolest pin place on the net...Pinside.com, as you already know!

#19 11 years ago

Great Video SPeD66 ,, Yr a Dam Good Narrator !!! I could use you when I get Ready to Sell my

Guns N Roses Pin. See Ya the End of the month @ The Lost Ark Tourney .. I Liked this Vid u Took

Enjoy Taxi ,,,,,,,, B_R

#20 11 years ago

Congrats on the Taxi. I consider the system 11 era a great era of pinball machines. It hit a very sweet spot of not being too complex rules wise, but an advanced enough system to make the games goals easy to understand.

I find older games (especially pre system 9) to be harder to understand. Even though they are usually simpler games....it's just not as easy to figure out what you are supposed to do without speech and clearly marked inserts.

Taxi also stands out as a nice difficulty in my opinion. I had a Police Force and even thought it is set up very similar to Taxi rules wise, it is too easy because you can arrest each of the criminals at any time. It could have been a much better game in my opinion if the game would have had the setting to limit how many criminals could be arrested at any given time. From your description on your video...Taxi gives you options to make the game easier if you would like, but the default rules are just how I would like them on Taxi. Diner also comes to mind as being like these games (Mark Ritchie system 11 games) but I can't really remember the specifics on the rules to serving each customer on it.

Good luck with the game. I'm sure it will keep you happy for a long time. It looks to be in good shape and hopefully you won't have to learn too much about doing your own repairs too soon.

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from SPeD66:

It's official now. I'm part of the club!
System 11 pins were the current crop at the height of my pinball playing days back in my teens & early twenties. When the arcades disappeared around me in the early 90's so did the pins, even from gas stations & laundrymats. I never really got to play any of the great dmd machines that came later. (Until recently, that is.) Cyclone, F-14 Tomcat, and Taxi ate most of my quarters back then. Mere weeks after I decided I wanted a pin for my home, this nice Taxi became available an hour & a half drive from me. I don't believe in fate but this just feels right.
» YouTube video
» YouTube video

and you snagged a Marilyn, it apprears.

1 week later
#22 11 years ago

Ok, let's see if Pinballdad likes this any better.

#23 11 years ago

Nice pick. System-11 games are great. I want a Taxi next to my Diner.

#24 11 years ago

Congrats. Nice first pin. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Add some more sys11's and you'll be a happy dude.

#25 11 years ago

Taxi is king

#26 11 years ago

Let me know if you tire of it! VA isn't that far away! I want taxi!

#27 11 years ago

Videos are great, good times! Congrats and welcome to the club

#28 11 years ago

Great pin. You will be sure to enjoy this one.

Congrats

#29 11 years ago

Congrats! My favorite system 11 game. I hope someday I own one.

#30 11 years ago

Enjoy the new pin and let me know when you are going to lost ark and I will y to be there

#31 11 years ago

Thanks everyone. Keeping my eyes peeled for more sys11's.

Quoted from triadwatch:

...let me know when you are going to lost ark and I will y to be there

Planning to be at Lost Ark arcade on Saturday, July 28th. Probably arrive mid afternoon & staying through the tournament that evening. Hope to see you!

#32 11 years ago

any bets as to how long it will take SPeD66 to buy game #2?

I'm guessing within a month

#33 11 years ago

Congrats on Taxi!!

#34 11 years ago
Quoted from SPeD66:

Thanks everyone. Keeping my eyes peeled for more sys11's.

Planning to be at Lost Ark arcade on Saturday, July 28th. Probably arrive mid afternoon & staying through the tournament that evening. Hope to see you!

I usually do not miss a tournament at lost ark but unfortunately I am going to a pinball bash down near Charlotte for the night. Sorry, but there is some great competition at the lost ark tournament and i did see that black rose is going to lost ark. There is another person from up your way near Roanoke who comes down to lost ark as well. Have fun let me know how you do in tournament and when you get to lost ark if you see UNC on pins that is me.

#35 11 years ago

Congrats! Taxi was my first pin as well, and I still love the hell out of it.

#36 11 years ago
Quoted from triadwatch:

There is another person from up your way near Roanoke who comes down to lost ark as well. Have fun let me know how you do in tournament and when you get to lost ark if you see UNC on pins that is me

You must mean Luke, aka PwninShiznat. Nice guy & a talented player.
UNC, eh? I've already seen some of your scores then!

#37 11 years ago

Hey triadwatch there's a chance the gf & I might drive down to Lost Ark this Saturday. I've been promising to take her.

#38 11 years ago

I am usually there on Saturdays but am having surgery tomorrow and will be down all weekend, I went by lost ark today to get my fix in and had a epic game of AC/dc for 269 million.

#39 11 years ago
Quoted from SPeD66:

Hey triadwatch there's a chance the gf & I might drive down to Lost Ark this Saturday. I've been promising to take her.

Bring the Step-daughter ,, ,, We've seen her play , She's gOOOOOOd !!

#40 11 years ago
Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

Bring the Step-daughter ,, ,, We've seen her play , She's gOOOOOOd !!

Megan is the girlfriends kid. Anyway I think I know what your agenda is, LOL.
Sorry to disappoint but she won't be joining us this time. You'll have to flirt with the gf instead if yer gonna be there.

#41 11 years ago

Mess-n w/ Ya Cool,,,,,,,,,, Leave her at Home. and I Will be there.

#42 11 years ago

Just yanking yer chain bro! I'll buy you a beer or six B_R. Looking forward to seeing ya.

#43 11 years ago

Tomorrow I had a good surgery today and will try to make it around 12:30 to 1:00 to lost ark.

#44 11 years ago

Taxi will always have a place in in your heart then. I was my first ramp game after the SS ballys.
And everytime I hear the theme it takes me back to why I got into pinball.

Like Chris Bucci its one of his keepers if he has to sell all.

#45 11 years ago

Enjoyed seeing you today at lost ark, hope you had fun playing all the pins

#46 11 years ago
Quoted from triadwatch:

Enjoyed seeing you today at lost ark, hope you had fun playing all the pins

Had a great time as always & the girlfriend got a kick out of it. A pleasure to meet you triadwatch, you're a heck of a pinball player!

#47 11 years ago

Lookin forward to seeing the video from lost ark

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.00
Cabinet Parts
Gizmorama Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 109.00
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/oooh-taxi-my-first-pin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.