Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 81 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by o-din
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

cookie_cutter.jpg
    images111.jpg
    There are 81 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 11 years ago

Ok, much has been said about how Stern hung onto the "only" part of this statement, and only recently has seemingly grudgingly changed it to "Leading".

My question would be, why the resistance to change it? Isn't it MUCH better to be the top company amongst many, as opposed to the LAST remaining company of a once large industry?

I guess they don't want to be seen as recognizing any competition, but I think for the outside world, that is always surprised that pinball still exists at all, it would be much better to portray a healthy business with many players.

#2 11 years ago

And "leading" is debatable, they certainly aren't in the areas of quality and innovation. Sheer numbers is about it. "Biggest" I would have no argument with (for now)!

#3 11 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

And "leading" is debatable, they certainly aren't in the areas of quality and innovation. Sheer numbers is about it. "Biggest" I would have no argument with (for now)!

They are the "leading" because they are the only pinball company currently producing and distributing pinball machines. Key word distributing!

#4 11 years ago

Leading I would equate to biggest. Biggest sales, volume, any way you slice it. I suspect ac/dc will outsell woz by a large margin as well over their respective lifetimes.

#5 11 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

Stern hung onto the "only" part of this statement

Is there another company shipping pins in the USA?

#6 11 years ago
    Quoted from rockinganker:

Is there another company shipping pins in the USA?

of course not, but my question is isn't it more valuable to claim to be the biggest at something, rather than the only one (even if it is technically true, even today)?

#7 11 years ago

Remember, Stern was the underdog until the top dog bowed out. I guess they want some recognition for sticking with it.
    "And the meek shall inherit the (Pinball Industry)."

#8 11 years ago

Only = monopoly ; leading = competition. Only is better for them

#9 11 years ago

Me personally, if I was Gary Stern giving those interviews, like the kind where he says he doesn't want to use the word "Last", I'd be proud to say something like:

"For 13 years we were the last and only manufacture of real pinball, the business is growing again, our sales are up, we have new competition and we remain the biggest".

#10 11 years ago

"Leading" can be taken any number of different ways... which makes it ideal for a slogan that can't really be argued with.

#11 11 years ago

Until another company has a game that is actually shipping to paying customers, Stern should advertise as the "only" pinball manufacturer. Although the shipping of WOZ is inevitable (and there are plenty of them pre-ordered and paid for in full), all that exists are "test" machines at various locations. Think back to the Tucker automobile. They made 50 cars, but they still weren't considered an auto manufacturer. Paying customers actually receiving what they paid for will then qualify JJP as a manufacturer. Until that happens, Stern is the "only".

"Leading" is an ambiguous word, it could mean anything. What are they leading in? Quality, quantity, number of different titles produced in a year? It's all just advertising. For those of us that are close to the hobby, I don't think we really care what words these companies use for their advertising. These slogans are for those that don't know about the hobby.

#12 11 years ago

I don't like "leading" for that stated ambiguity. I think they should own "world's biggest" or something.

I'm sure Stern dropped the "only" because they would be criticized for saying it when JJP ships machines, and no one thought we'd still be waiting for them to do so.

#13 11 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

I don't like "leading" for that stated ambiguity.

It's a company, that's what they do, it's a slogan.

#14 11 years ago

Old habits die hard.

They worked hard, during very tough times, when everyone else bailed. They deserve to call themselves what ever they like.

LTG : )

#16 11 years ago

As an online marketer who has been hoping they would find a graceful solution to this, I think "leading" is fine, and an apt description. I also prefer that they have made this change now instead of waiting until the last minute, when they were literally forced to. It's better to do it now.

Also, on my Sirius XM Boneyard station this morning, the dj started talking about Metallica. I was all, "Please say pinball... please say pinball..."

And she did.

#17 11 years ago

Who cares really?

It's just marketing.

#18 11 years ago

Today I can buy only a new Stern Pinball machine, so today they are the only

#19 11 years ago

Who Cares, Really?

Bingo!

#20 11 years ago

I heard this cartoon tiger saying his Cereal was "Greeeeat" too....I don't believe him...discuss.

#21 11 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I heard this cartoon tiger saying his Cereal was "Greeeeat" too....I don't believe him...discuss.

Believe him! It IS!

#22 11 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

Believe him! It IS!

Pffffff....crap ok bad example cause that stuff is damn good.

#23 11 years ago

Yes, you can't really deny Tony. He knows his cereal.

#24 11 years ago

Now if you said the Generic version of Rice Chex.....

#25 11 years ago

Rice Chex kicks ass if you put enough sugar on it.

#26 11 years ago

Yeah....but try the GENERIC version. Tastes like cardboard chips

#27 11 years ago

would that be the one that comes in a bag form?

#28 11 years ago

It could....but Shop Rite and some of the other stores have their own versions of these cereals. Mostly all terrible!....if yer lucky!

#29 11 years ago

Never had those but "Apple Dapples" are one of my all time faves

#30 11 years ago

Only REAL makers of Apple Dapples on the Planet!
    (just to stay on topic)

#31 11 years ago

Stern can't really say they're the only manufacturer of pinball machines currently.
    They CAN say that they're the one company shipping finished pins though!
    : )

#32 11 years ago

no need to stay on topic. The topic is stupid. This cereal conversation is more interesting.

What the hell are Apple Dapples? Spin off of Apple Jacks?

#33 11 years ago

Yes I think they are the Krogers spin on Apple Jacks....they are damn good. If I still ate ceareal like I used to I'd be all over those suckers.

#34 11 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

no need to stay on topic. The topic is stupid.

Yeah! What was I thinking! ........what the hell ARE Apple Dapples???

#35 11 years ago

I still eat Cocoa Puffs.
    I smother the Rice Chex with Blueberries!

#36 11 years ago

you know that cereals and oatmeals with blueberries, don't really have blueberries. They are chemical synthetics to duplicate blueberry flavor. Just an interesting fact for today. As Blueberries and cream is one of the favorites for oatmeal.

#37 11 years ago

No no no! I mean REAL Blueberries! Only way to go!

#38 11 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

With cream on it, Tony is right. I have a box here.

#39 11 years ago
    Quoted from Gnatty:

They are the "leading"

Leading me into brokeness.

#40 11 years ago

I love cereal

images111.jpgimages111.jpg

Comes with Stickers!

#41 11 years ago
    Quoted from Skypilot:

Comes with Stickers!

Do they taste better than the cereal ?

#42 11 years ago

Came here to watch people complain about something stupid, staying because I love me some cereal.

Raisin Bran Clusters for me, taking boring to BLAM!

-Wes

#43 11 years ago

Girlfriend likes Cinnamon Toast Crunch and it still holds up if the sugar bombardment isn't too much for you. They make awesome cereal bars instead of Rice Crispys.

For me would still take some Fruity Pebbles over a lot of others...good stuff. These do not make good cereal bars sadly.

#44 11 years ago

I like Quisp.

#45 11 years ago
    Quoted from pascal-pinball:

Today I can buy only a new Stern Pinball machine, so today they are the only

Well, you can PAY for privilege of getting in line for other machines.....

#46 11 years ago

Leading/Best in Class/Biggest - no different than the awards car manufacturers come up with. Its all pretty much subjective as a stand alone statement until you qualify the statements.

#47 11 years ago
    Quoted from Sunfox:

"Leading" can be taken any number of different ways... which makes it ideal for a slogan that can't really be argued with.

Spot on.

#48 11 years ago

Sorry! I had a meeting and missed out on some of the cereal talk!

#49 11 years ago
    Quoted from Hobbypinball:

Leading/Best in Class/Biggest - no different than the awards car manufacturers come up with. Its all pretty much subjective as a stand alone statement until you qualify the statements.

Can you please stay on topic, this is about cereal, nothing else.

#50 11 years ago

Honeynut Clusters are good too.

There are 81 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/only-vs-leading-maker-of-real-pinball-games and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.