Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 143 posts
  • 43 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by NextoPin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

attack-from-mars-pinball-machine-backglass.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider NextoPin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#25 9 years ago

You could look into renting a pin, there are places that do it. Then when you get bored, you can swap it for another one.

Virtual Pins are great, but there is a steep learning curve if you aren't great with computers. I would definitely try a high end one before you buy. Expect to spend almost as much as a NIB for a good one.

If I could only have 1 pin I'd go with something with a deep rule set.

Simpson's Pinball Party
    LotR
    Metallica
    AC/DC

hope that helps.

By the way. Pretty much anyone who posts about a virtual pinball knows they are not a real pin, I don't think I've ever once seen someone argue this point and I don't know why every time someone mentions a virtual pin that someone has to say "It's not Pinball" etc.

A Virtual Pinball is perfect for a situation like this. Limited space. If you can get past the "It's not pinball" stigma and enjoy playing the tables as games then it would be a great choice. Then you can do all your "real" pinball playing on location and at shows. It lets you have multiple games in the space of a single pin and it get's you out of the house supporting location pinball.

#27 9 years ago
    Quoted from cornfree:

Thanks. Are virtual pins just not popular with players?

They are fine with Players, as players want to learn. They are not popular with purists and most collectors because I honestly think that somehow they believe virtual pinball could somehow replace pinball. They see them as a threat, but that's just my opinion.

#86 9 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

agree. if you want to play virtual pinball, just get an iPad.

You can say all you want about Virtual Pinball not being real pinball but this is totally incorrect. There is a HUGE difference between playing on a dedicated cabinet vs. a tablet or desktop PC.

A quality(NIB equivalent) VPin cab should have:
    A separate playfield and backbox
    A DMD in the backbox (real or LCD)
    Premium Sound System with Sub
    Real Arcade buttons and controls
    Analog Plunger
    Force Feedback - These are real solenoids or industrial contactors, relay's, shaker motor's etc that the simulator triggers to mimic bumper, flippers, kickouts, score reels etc.
    Analog nudging used to nudge the simulated table in both direction and intensity.
    LED Flashers and RGB Lamps, these are also tied into the force feedback system.

Anyway, there is a big difference between playing the game on a screen and playing it on a built out cabinet.

#96 9 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

This is the worst advice anybody has given anybody, anywhere, in history.
    And masturbation is WAY closer to actual sex than virtual pin is to real pinball.
    Masturbation is actually fun and messy.
    I don't know what virtualpinball actually has in common with real pinball. Flipper buttons?
    Virtualpinall would be a huge mistake. Is there ANYBODY here with "only room for one" whose only "pin" is a flat screen TV with flipper buttons hooked up to it? I don't think so. There's a good reason for that.
    They blow.

No, the ones you have played blow. Farsight's Pinball Arcade blows. Ipad/Tablet pinball blow's (unless you are on the crapper ). A real VPin, while admittedly is not real pinball, does not blow.

#102 9 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

So if you had "only room for one" you'd consider one of these fabulous Vpins? For more than about 10 seconds?

That's not the point I'm arguing. People get so down on virtual pins because they haven't played quality examples of one and their only exposure is the ones on their iPads or some crappy cab, when done right they are awesome.

If I could only have 1 pinball machine, and a VPin was a choice and could be built out with all the features you can buy for the price of a NIB, yes, I would. without question.

Luckily I don't have that much of a restriction, but I'm still building one because I want to be able to learn the rules of competitive games and create my own tables. Another advantage is that if you live in an apartment you can turn off the force feedback, throw some headphones on and play all night without bothering anyone.

#112 9 years ago
    Quoted from ShinyBall:

Do yourself a real favor op...Now that you read all this. Forget everything that you read.
    Go to a pinball show and see and play it all..and get what you like...it's all there. The good the bad and the ugly.
    Don't ask and have others make a decision that you should make for yourself. You really need to get out there and look and touch. In effect, This site is virtual.

That right there is sound advice. It's harder if you live in place with no pins. Either way, what we think doesn't matter because it's a matter of preference and even if you are trying to make an informed decision it's still all opinion.

Btw, I'm not saying he should get a vpin, I'm just saying vpins are't the devil and done well, they do t suck. Easily the best ever dedicated arcade game, after all, it's still pinball

#127 9 years ago

Don't forget multimorphic pinball, same concept of swappable playfield.

#143 9 years ago

or you can get a Zizzle and store it under your other pin

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider NextoPin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/only-room-for-one?tu=NextoPin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.