Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_5730 (resized).PNG
IMG_5721 (resized).JPG
#1 7 years ago

Hi again! Curious if anyone has a clue as to why only the 3 jet bumpers might not be firing on my Williams Space Station? The lights are on but no action.

The slingshots are fine down by the flippers. I've reseated the J7 and IJ8 connectors in case that was the issue but it wasn't. Is there a fuse I'm missing that is dedicated to the jet bumpers? Any ideas?

Thank you!

#2 7 years ago

I just noticed the coil wrap on the left jet bumper. That looks bad, right? Could that prevent the other jet bumpers from working?

IMG_5721 (resized).JPGIMG_5721 (resized).JPG

#3 7 years ago

So I traced the problem back to this! Holy crap! How does this happen? I haven't had this machine a week.

IMG_5730 (resized).PNGIMG_5730 (resized).PNG

#4 7 years ago

Melted coil is totally shorted and nuked the transistor. Replace the coil and the transistor (and the pre-driver) and test everything before you power back on again.

#5 7 years ago

And there's a fuse somewhere that popped too.

#6 7 years ago

Thanks @mschonbrun - I actually checked fuses first and It would seem they all are ok and had continuity. It's definitely possible I missed one. I could only find one 2.5a under the playfield.

#7 7 years ago

That board has had a rough history at some point. The resistor below Q74 was burned at some point and looks to be replaced. I'm also suspicious of the resistor network above Q76... seems a little scorched at the end. And the exposed trace right above Q76 looks like it was patched with a piece of wire between Q76 and 78....

...and speaking of Q76, it's been replaced once before. Look at the shape of its "grounding tab" and compare to the others.

Given all that scorching damage, I would be very careful working on this board. It may be quite fragile.

But I would remove it anyway, to inspect it very carefully for other tell-tale hints and signs of past repairs and possible trouble spots. It's always a good idea to find what you can, to trace back to the playfield and make sure the source of the problem is actually fixed.

#8 7 years ago

goingincirclez I'm going to try to fix this myself later this week when the parts arrive but that area on the MPU looks like toast. Not sure if I'm going to be able to pull it off. I'll report back with either good news or catastrophic news.

#9 7 years ago

I doubt anyone is still paying attention but I was able to fix this problem. I replaced the jet bumper coil and metal pop bracket. The old one broke and shorted something which I think caused this.

I also found a blown fuse at F3 (was wrong about this before) and I replaced the transistor. It's not pretty but it's working for now.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Olympia, WA
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/only-jet-bumpers-not-working-on-williams-space-station and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.