• Latest reply 5 years ago by Crowquill
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

SF2_SwMatrix (resized).png
#1 5 years ago

I have a SF2 where pressing the start button will trip the entire column's switches at once. Verified it in switch test but all the other switches in column 4 will trip individually. Is this indicative of the return being shorted between the next to last switch and START (which is the end of the daisy-chained wire)? Most of that is in bundles running across the bottom of the cabinet where nothing should get pinched. If it is just that button with a short is it easier to just run a new wire between these 2 points than digging through these bundles?

I've been reading numerous switch matrix FAQs but I'm getting overwhelmed and just confusing myself at this point. Please be gentle on the new guy.

#2 5 years ago

I suggest you watch this video:

#3 5 years ago

Good to see help from a familiar neck of the woods (I lived in Hebron for several years). That was one of the best videos I'd watched while trying to figure this out. Now I'm getting lost between theory and the application. My deduction (right or not) that I have a ground short to the return came from reading PinballRehab's page on switch matrices. http://pinballrehab.com/1-articles/solid-state-repair/repair-guides/146-switch-matrix-theory-and-troubleshooting#switches-closed

There's no box to work out since it's only one column and only from that one button. The part I'm most confused by is that no other switches in that column have this behavior. Don't know if it helps, but here's the SF2 matrix with the troublemaker marked.

SF2_SwMatrix (resized).pngSF2_SwMatrix (resized).png
#4 5 years ago

Yeah, I live just down the road from Hebron, still can't believe how long it takes to get to Evansville from here though, lol! I'm certainly no switch matrix expert but after helping a buddy fix some really weird shit with the matrix in LOTR recently I'm trying to help anyway. The first thing I notice from that matrix is that the strobes appear to be on the left instead of the top like others I've looked at, this would effectively swap the rows and columns. The second thing is that I've never worked on the matrix in a Premier Gott game and this drawing is crazy looking. Third, is it the start button (I don't see the start button on the matrix) or the credit button (assuming there is one to add service credits in a Premier game) inside the coin door?? Four, what the hell is a Smart Switch? I looked it up but again have no experience with Smart Switches or how they may impact troubleshooting this

Did this problem just randomly start up or did you just get it in this condition?

You could isolate it to the board or playfield by removing the strobe and return connectors then use a diode and a jumper wire to simulate each switch closing in the matrix.

Good luck and hopefully someone who knows this game will chime in to help instead of my blind advice.

#5 5 years ago

I appreciate any ideas you have. Yeah, being a Gottlieb is also a bit of a pain. Most guides/FAQs are leaning towards Bally/Williams fixes. Hadn't thought about the columns/rows being swapped around. Technically I guess it's the same thing, but it can get confusing when they start changing what you're used to. Started acting up about a week after we got it (it's in an arcade I work at - owner has decided he wants more pinball so I'm learning as I go).

As far as I can tell the Smart Switches are mostly over-engineered garbage. The leaf switch is mounted to a small PCB with surface-mount diodes (I assume they're diodes). It is kind of nice that you can just remove a molex plug to work on it, but one of the spot targets in that column isn't registering and so I need to order a fancy $20 replacement for it. Tripped from the molex plug it works just fine in the switch test.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

2,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Marietta, GA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/only-1-button-trips-the-whole-column-my-first-switch-matrix-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.