hitch2.jpg
lauren-cohan-zoom.jpg
llaura.jpg
sucker.jpg
mr money bags.jpg
image-261.jpg
Healthywealthy.jpg
th-710.jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gweempose.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#49 9 years ago

I'm personally not a fan at all of the whole LE / stripped down pro business model. It just doesn't seem fair that, even if the demand is huge, only a finite number of people can get the full featured game. I understand that the premium versions of many games don't sell very well, but Stern should at least always be open to the possibility of running a premium if the demand is there.

Quoted from Rarehero:

They don't want to sell 500 Premiums. They want to sell thousands. If they can't, they'd rather sell Pros and other titles that are currently on the line.

Look, I'd prefer there to be a Premium, cuz if I get interested in the game later on, I want a full featured version…but if the demand is too low to make sense, I get why they don't want to do it.

So why don't they just start building the premiums and pros to order? Makes perfect sense to me. This way, they will know exactly what the demand is instead of guessing. Everyone who wants a machine is happy, and Stern makes a ton of money. Win-win!

#66 9 years ago
Quoted from inhomearcades:

A person that does not understand the idea of lead time, lot orders and production efficiencies would recommend built to order games.

I guess that would be me.

#94 9 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

I don't see any problem with announcing a premium later to cash in on a hot market, if there is one.

I would have a big problem with this. Although I've already made it abundantly clear that I think Stern should offer a premium version of all titles, to do so after the fact would be manipulative, and just plain wrong.

#156 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

That business plan seemed to work well for AC/DC and Metallica, but maybe not so much for the games that have come out since then. How many Avengers, Star Trek and Mustang premiums are out there?

This is precisely why I said that all Stern had to do was mention at launch that there is a possibility of a premium if future demand warrants it. I can't imagine this would cannibalize their initial sales very much, and it would open them up to a lot of potential profit down the road if the game turns out to be a huge hit like AC/DC. By not announcing the possibility of a premium, they have essentially painted themselves into a corner. If they do decide to run a premium, it will piss off the people who bought the game early. If they don't make a premium, it will piss off the people who want the full featured game but can't find one for a reasonable price because of the limited supply.

#167 9 years ago
Quoted from PEN:

TWD is one of my dream themes, but I must play it first.

That may very well be the most sane thing I've ever heard anyone say on Pinside.

#190 9 years ago
Quoted from LunaStone:

Are people only buying LEs because they have all the toys? Would you not want an LE if all the extras are only basically cosmetic?

Games like BIBLE, LOTR LE, Black SM, etc. have proven that people will absolutely pay more for games where the only differences are cosmetic.

#244 9 years ago
Quoted from pascal-pinball:

I send an email to stern with the question "is there a TWD premium model planned"
this was there answer:

With regard to your question, we don't know whether we'll build a Premium model of The Walking Dead. It depends on worldwide demand for the title.

As you know, demand for our AC/DC title has remained very strong since that game was first introduced and we're aware of many collectors who have purchased both versions of the LE as well as the Premium. Other collectors have opted to sell their LE and keep the Premium. Still others have sold the Premium and bought an LE on the secondary market. For collectors, it's largely a question of personal taste and the level of interest in modifying their game.

With our recent Metallica title, we encountered unexpectedly high demand for games with Dirty Donny artwork. We responded to the large unmet demand by introducing a Premium version of the game featuring Dirty Donny artwork.

As you know, our Premium models are best suited for enthusiasts who either missed out on the LE or want to heavily modify their games on their own.

Okay, so here's what I don't understand. Assuming this response from Stern is legit, why the hell are they being so coy when it comes to the premium? There is still no mention of it anywhere on their site, and yet they clearly have no problem acknowledging that one may be coming when directly asked about it. Wouldn't it have been better from a customer relations standpoint to be completely transparent about the possibility of a premium from the get go? It's this kind of manipulative bullshit that really pisses me off.

#271 9 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

There's no good reason for them to talk publicly about a product that doesn't exist.

I'd say being upfront about all potential models before customers start forking over hard earned money is a damn good reason.

Quoted from phishrace:

Them not mentioning premiums at first made it pretty clear to me that they were leaving the door open. Surely you also considered that possibility?

If you go back and read all my posts, you will see that I was one of the people who argued strongly that Stern could very well run a premium, despite there not being any mention of one at launch. I decided to order an LE anyway, since I'm a huge Walking Dead fan, but this news hardly comes as a surprise to me. Ever since Stern made Luci, I realized that all bets are off when it comes to what they will or won't run in the future. It's still disappointing to see them pull this kind of crap, though, and it will almost certainly make me hesitant to pre-order an LE in the future.

Quoted from phishrace:

If they had announced premiums were a possibility, it would've hurt LE sales ... What they don't say speaks volumes. Hardly manipulative bullshit.

You just said it yourself that announcing the possibility of a premium would have hurt LE sales. Stern deliberately withheld information from it customers in an effort to move as many LEs as possible, as quickly as possible. It wasn't an oversight. It was cold and calculated. I'd say that's manipulative bullshit in its purest form.

#280 9 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

So Stern should announce a Premium, then be forced to make them, even if it means that distributors will have to sit on them if the game doesn't do well?

I said it when they first released the features matrix, and I'll say it again. All Stern had to do was list the premium with an asterisk next to it saying *pending demand. This would have allowed Stern the flexibility to build or not build a premium without any chance of upsetting the early pro and LE buyers.

#289 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

And Luci was manipulative and just plain wrong? I mean what the heck? Nobody is boo-hooing about that.

Maybe not anymore, but at the time Luci definitely ruffled some feathers.

#299 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Money talks, Stern is in business to sell as many pins as possible, if they had made just 600 AcDc LEs they would have made 600 people happy, but by making premium and Luci they sold 6x as many or more of the higher trim games that's not hard to dispute.

Nobody is arguing that they shouldn't make premiums. In fact, I've been saying just the opposite. I think Stern should be open to the possibility of making a premium for every single release. It's a good business decision. My main opposition with them potentially running a TWD premium is the way in which they went about it. It's Stern's lack of transparency that leaves a sour taste in my mouth. I can understand maximizing profits, but if they have to resort to trickery in order to achieve them, then I think they need to seriously rethink their marketing strategies. Pinball is a small niche market, and Stern has flourished because of its dedicated customers. All I'm asking is that they treat those customers with the respect that they deserve by being open about their intentions.

#301 9 years ago
Quoted from vex:

Stern leaves a sweet taste in mine...don't buy it then.

Quoted from vex:

You call it trickery, I call it realizing they have a hit and letting more pinball fans enjoy pinball.

Quoted from vex:

If you feel disrespected that I may have a premium twd pinball machine some day is funny. Sour taste, lack of respect...sure sounds like a healthy approach to a really fun hobby.

Wow! These responses show me that you either didn't read what I wrote, or completely failed to grasp what I was saying.

#310 9 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

I'd love to know if Stern would make a premium with all the game features of the LE and Pro art. Or... Would they omit some features?

Going all the way back to AC/DC, premiums have always had all the same exact gameplay features as the LEs. The differences have only been cosmetic.

#323 9 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

But what, if in this case, the premium doesn't carry all of the playfield upgrades?

Don't worry. It will. They're not going to design a third game with a different feature set from either the pro or the LE. That would be cost prohibitive for them for many reasons.

#346 9 years ago
Quoted from EricR:

It would be nice I suppose but if Stern came out and said exactly those words tomorrow, but what would it really change? People still wouldn't know for sure that a premium was coming or not. They would still have the choice of either buying the LE right away or risk missing out on the full-featured game if the demand wasn't there.

They would risk nothing by waiting. If the demand for a premium isn't there, HUO LEs will be easy to come by. They're making 600 of them.

#349 9 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Stern are actually brilliant the way they market. Never used to think this.
Show us the least they can get away with. Let us imagine what we would really like. Let us worry at missing out on an LE so better buy quick.
Game comes out. Oh dear, no custom speech etc. By then we are invested emotionally and materially so we convince ourselves it doesn't matter.
We then have a honeymoon phase and if the game really is good, keep it. Otherwise sell for a loss and say never again.
Rinse, repeat

We are our own worst enemies. No doubt about it. We base our buying decisions off of emotion instead of logic, and Stern has learned to capitalize on this. The problem is that the community still hasn't adjusted to the fact that pre-ordering LEs is no longer a smart thing to do. I blame it on Tron LE and BIBLE. Those two games created the whole "get it while you can" mentality. Even though there hasn't been a single LE to go up in value since, that mindset still lingers. I'm as guilty as anyone. I pre-ordered an STLE, and now a TWD LE.

1 week later
#404 9 years ago
Quoted from ledge:

what do u get on the LE, thats another 2.5k coin more than the pro. motorized crossbow, fishtank heads and mirrored backglass. pls tell me we get more ... : P

You get more.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 26.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Yonkers, NY
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

6,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, OH
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 599.95
Cabinet - Toppers
Hi-Rez Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 16.00
$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Eau Claire, WI
$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
PinballGeek

$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gweempose.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/online-petition-for-twd-premium?tu=gweempose and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.