New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 102978)

Would you buy premium TWD?

By gawcol

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 406 posts
  • 113 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by nvu4prod
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 13 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image.jpg
1kX9t6w.jpg
twd_playfields_comparison_small.jpg
frustration protection.jpg
th-1-643.jpeg
hitch2.jpg
lauren-cohan-zoom.jpg
llaura.jpg
sucker.jpg
mr money bags.jpg
image-261.jpg
Healthywealthy.jpg
th-710.jpeg

There are 406 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 9.
#1 6 years ago

I would if it had the artwork from pro and playfield from LE...

#2 6 years ago

NO

#4 6 years ago

I don't get the few very vocal people wanting a premium or saying on will be made. Stern still might make one but I doubt it. I think they improved the base model (pro) substantially over previous pros and are going to stick with the PRO/LE model for this game. The pro is only missing a couple of features and looks extremely nice. Pay the extra money for the LE or accept that you will be buying a pro. I like both models and actually like the side art on the pro better. I think they are going to sell a ton of pro's for the model.

#5 6 years ago

the problem is that I contacted my distributor to order LE, but they were already sold out yesterday morning...
side art on pro is indeed better, but I want full gameplay experience...

#6 6 years ago

Depending on actual game play, I would definitely be in for a premium. I hope it happens but from the looks of it, it won't be announced anytime soon.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from gawcol:

the problem is that I contacted my distributor to order LE, but they were already sold out yesterday morning...
side art on pro is indeed better, but I want full gameplay experience...

Limited edition means that it will be limited. You may have to purchase it on the secondary market. If you have a better relationship with your distributor, ie purchase more games from them, you would likely have a spot for the LE.

#8 6 years ago

I mentioned this in the mega thread but they might only have so many leftover Austin Powers parts & that's why no premium

#9 6 years ago

Yes would buy a premium. Will not order an LE just because I'm worried about availability. If the game is great, I'll buy an LE if available (not likely) or a premium. If Stern refuses to supply a premium, then I'll just buy something from one of the other manufacturers. Would not buy a pro under any circumstances, so if this is Stern's new strategy, thats cool, just not for me.

#10 6 years ago

yes, I would like a premium and I hope they make them.

#11 6 years ago

Sterns new model is simple. Build LEs and Pros first, then offer a Vault Edition later down the road if it's a success. This allows them to lower their initial risk into a game and lets them wait and see if it sells or not.

#12 6 years ago

I'd buy a premium with someone elses money

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from TaTa:

Sterns new model is simple. Build LEs and Pros first, then offer a Vault Edition later down the road if it's a success. This allows them to lower their initial risk into a game and lets them wait and see how well it sells.

An premium is already built, its an LE minus a couple of things so there is no initial risk. Also I think this is premature to say this is their new model. I hope we are still friends even though i disagree with your 100%.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Pay the extra money for the LE or accept that you will be buying a pro.

Or buy neither.

Quoted from jgentry:

I don't get the few very vocal people wanting a premium or saying on will be made.

You honestly don't get why some of us are interested in the game but don't want to pay that much money for a pin we've never played? Is it really that hard to understand?

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from TaTa:

Sterns new model is simple. Build LEs and Pros first, then offer a Vault Edition later down the road if it's a success. This allows them to lower their initial risk into a game and lets them wait and see if it sells or not.

Vault edition is a pro, not even the full featured game.

Personally I'd be fine if Stern set a higher number of LEs, like 1000 and then most people would have the ability to get one. Premium is a bit of a hack approach.

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

An premium is already built, its an LE minus a couple of things so there is no initial risk. Also I think this is premature to say this is their new model. I hope we are still friends even though i disagree with your 100%.

We're all good I should have said that this was just my reasoning for the lack of a premium being built. I also was discussing this with my distributor about the lack of one being offered and was hinted in the direction of my original post as to why they are not going to. Who can you believe anyway?

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

Vault edition is a pro, not even the full featured game.
Personally I'd be fine if Stern set a higher number of LEs, like 1000 and then most people would have the ability to get one. Premium is a bit of a hack approach.

Meh, I'd rather it go the other way. Run like 2-300 LEs and then churn out however many premiums to meet demand. Make the LE a real collector item instead of just "the fanciest one"

#18 6 years ago

yes, i would buy a premium, and only a premium. so many great titles on the horizon from the competition makes my decision rather easy. sorry you lost a sale stern, your machine looks like a real winner. why no premium is a real head scratcher to me. oh well.

#19 6 years ago

They do have a premium, it is the LE. If you want a full featured game, pay for it. Purchase the LE. I am happy they decided to raise the build on the pro along with the price. Eliminate the middle premium titled game, make the pros a fuller featured game and for those people who want the best, pay for it.

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from inhomearcades:

They do have a premium, it is the LE. If you want a full featured game, pay for it. Purchase the LE. I am happy they decided to raise the build on the pro along with the price. Eliminate the middle premium titled game, make the pros a fuller featured game and for those people who want the best, pay for it.

For me it's not about the price tag it's about the leap of faith. But whatever. If there are LEs still available after I've gotten to play one awhile and I like it I'll buy it. If not I'll buy something else. No big deal for me or for Stern.

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

I mentioned this in the mega thread but they might only have so many leftover Austin Powers parts & that's why no premium

I thought that you were joking when you said it in the other thread.

Since you say it here again, I now think you are serious.

To which I say "are you serious"??

#22 6 years ago

Look at the cannon gun on the LE behind the flippers. Same as austin powers. Much of the playfield is the same. I would agree they're probably some parts left over and used somewhere in this new pin.

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I thought that you were joking when you said it in the other thread.
Since you say it here again, I now think you are serious.
To which I say "are you serious"??

I am serious.

100%

Don't you thumbs down me again sir

Don't you do it!

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

I am serious.
100%
Don't you thumbs down me again sir

So you think that Stern designed an entire pin around a single part that they had left over from 14 years ago?

lol

#25 6 years ago

Why does anyone care if it is similar to Austin powers?

#26 6 years ago

I think you are jumping to quite the conclusion that there has been a philosophical change to "raise the build". I would not be that hasty or naïve to come to this definitive conclusion. This particular pro looks awesome, has a lot going on, and was done by my personal favorite designer, but I wouldn't bet the farm that this is the status quo from here on out. Borg told me personally that he designs the LE first, then subtracts to reach the pro. I believe he is the only one at Stern to do it this way, thus the awesome pros he puts out.

#27 6 years ago

Why does anyone care if it is similar to Austin Powers?

Because being similar to another pin is why every new pin sucks.

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

So you think that Stern designed an entire pin around a single part that they had left over from 14 years ago?
lol

No... Sorta

I think Gomez & Gary were all like "hey make the crossbow out of shitty flat plastic" (think Avengers ramps) & then he stubbed his toe on old Austin Powers parts, took a sip of iced coffee & was like "hmmmm". They're probably reading this right now with goosebumps & looking for the hidden cameras lol

I'm just saying, sometimes I check the freezer before I go to the grocery store.

Are you & Greg teaming up against me?

Most don't. We're talking about how it has the same part. Like the same, not similar. Hey, I'd buy a rebranded AP no prob. For crying out loud I own a FGY that shares a platform with Shrek which I cant stand.

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

lol

Said that way, it sounds ridiculous. But "Hey, we've got a ton of these crossbow mechs left, that would go good in this game" doesn't so much.

#30 6 years ago

Not today. Game play would have to be more than I see from the pictures and descriptions so far, plus I have limited space and theme doesn't turn me into a have to have buyer. I'll wait and play, then maybe rethink.

#31 6 years ago

Maybe after it's road tested and beat to hell in several years, I'll buy a routed one.

#32 6 years ago

If I like the game when the code is mature, I would buy a Premium. If, at that time, there are LEs available, I might buy one of those, but I really don't want the backglass or the COA/signature bs. I certainly don't want to pay for those.

Buying a pro is not an option for me. I want the full game, or nothing. These are toys, and I can live without them. I am not going to buy a pin until it is complete, so I am not going to buy an LE now just in case it turns out to be a great game.

At this point, if they did kill the Premium, and still release games with incomplete code, they have lost a NIB customer.

#33 6 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Said that way, it sounds ridiculous. But "Hey, we've got a ton of these crossbow mechs left, that would go good in this game" doesn't so much.

Borg likes to re-use toys. When they did the magnet spinner on X-Men LE, was that leftover stock from Twister? Doubtful.

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Borg likes to re-use toys. When they did the magnet spinner on X-Men LE, was that leftover stock from Twister? Doubtful.

They did design MET around all those leftover scoops that they had from XMen!

#35 6 years ago

I also would be in for a premium, but looks like they are locking me out on this game. I agree, make the LE a truly limited of only 200-300 and make unlimited premiums. I don't see them announcing a premium on this one unless they did it prior to any games shipping. Once they start shipping any changes will just piss people off. I am not going to buy the game until they have the code ready on it (assume approx 1 year) after that if they have premiums or LE's available I might buy one, but will not buy a pro for this game.

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from kbliznick:

I also would be in for a premium, but looks like they are locking me out on this game. I agree, make the LE a truly limited of only 200-300 and make unlimited premiums. I don't see them announcing a premium on this one unless they did it prior to any games shipping. Once they start shipping any changes will just piss people off. I am not going to buy the game until they have the code ready on it (assume approx 1 year) after that if they have premiums or LE's available I might buy one, but will not buy a pro for this game.

Absolutely agree..... make the LE a TRUE LE, not approaching 1,000. Then, with unlimited premiums, everyone gets what they want. There is absolutely no risk here for Stern.

#37 6 years ago

Because Austin Powers sucks

#38 6 years ago

Yes

#39 6 years ago

Yes. I will never buy an LE, I am a completely different demographic. If those douche bags at Stern don''t understand me as a consumer, then they don't deserve me! They should focus on making better games and stop this nonsense. They are acting like it's 2007........."Hey Stern, news flash, you are not going out of business...........How about just giving your consumers what they want!"

#40 6 years ago
Quoted from Nexyss:

If I like the game when the code is mature, I would buy a Premium. If, at that time, there are LEs available, I might buy one of those, but I really don't want the backglass or the COA/signature bs. I certainly don't want to pay for those.
Buying a pro is not an option for me. I want the full game, or nothing. These are toys, and I can live without them. I am not going to buy a pin until it is complete, so I am not going to buy an LE now just in case it turns out to be a great game.
At this point, if they did kill the Premium, and still release games with incomplete code, they have lost a NIB customer.

+1 , they should've eliminated the LE , not the premium.

#41 6 years ago

More like they a had a ton of lock down bars with fire buttons and looked for something to fire .

#42 6 years ago

Okay, Lets just change the current name from PRO to premium in their advertising. Problem solved and you can all forget it was ever a problem.

#43 6 years ago

Point is, if it's like Met and you need to wait a year to get the code, and maybe you want to see if the code will indeed be good. If they offer a premium (like Met) people can wait and see.

that's the big impression from me. I favor just getting rid of the LE just make the LE-premium the same. I don't understand the whole this is a special number. I'd just as soon get all the features on the LE but don't want to buy one before the code is out and done.

I don't care about saving a few hundred dollars by getting a premium, I just don't want to get a LE now and have it become a paper weight while I wait for the code.

#44 6 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Point is, if it's like Met and you need to wait a year to get the code, and maybe you want to see if the code will indeed be good. If they offer a premium (like Met) people can wait and see.
that's the big impression from me. I favor just getting rid of the LE just make the LE-premium the same. I don't understand the whole this is a special number. I'd just as soon get all the features on the LE but don't want to buy one before the code is out and done.

It's business. That's how they can move a lot of units fast. LE has a psychological trigger to collectors. Buy now or be left out - and have something unique/special.

#45 6 years ago

Collectible pinball is blight.

#46 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

It's business. That's how they can move a lot of units fast. LE has a psychological trigger to collectors. Buy now or be left out - and have something unique/special.

I see that, but some people WILL buy the LE anyway just because they've been waiting so long, I mean like ST people said 799 is a lot of LEs but they bought them any way. If they leave the LE open ended it could drive up more of the higher priced units.

Anyway I'm OK either way this is not a life or death decision for me. I like the looks and the theme just like Met or many others. So if Stern wants to test out the idea of ZERO premiums that's OK. I'm not that involved. I can wait for any number of pins. However if I was a live and die fan of TWD I'd get the LE by now.

But my point for the wait and see crowd, they may spring for the higher price LE in a year if it turned out to be a great pin. But if Stern stick to their guns and the LE becomes a flippers dream like Tron LE than that's fine by me, I can miss it.

But Stern is the one that is missing my money if in the meantime I elect to get The Hobbit or the next Lawler game or TBL or whatever. It's not like missing TWD would be any big blow to me. I am just saying if there were a premium or un-limited LE out for sale in a year or 18 months than it may be on the table in the future if there is not, than Stern may have lost a sale (others may do the same, I don't want to say just my sale is going to be a big deal but what if it's another 500 people like me?)

#47 6 years ago

Ideal set up... IMO of course...

Pro: Basic game like they do now... (But for love of god, add some spinners at least! sheesh) $5500 MSRP

Premium: Additional Toys, Rules, Goals, color coded LEDs, choice of Pro art package or a second Art package, Color DMD: $6500 MSRP

LE: Limited to 150-250 AT MOST, Same additions as Premium, New Cabinet art w/ mirrored back glass, Plaque & autographs, same toys but enhanced with special paint jobs, Maybe 1-2 new toys/features: $7500 MSRP

Maybe add a LCD to the LEs for an extra amount?

#48 6 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I see that, but some people WILL buy the LE anyway just because they've been waiting so long, I mean like ST they said that's a lot of LEs but they bought them any way. If they leave the LE open ended it could drive up more of the higher priced units.
Anyway I'm OK either way this is not a life or death decision for me. I like the looks and the theme just like Met or many others. So if Stern wants to test out the idea of ZERO premiums that's OK. I'm not that involved. I can wait for any number of pins. However if I was a live and die fan of TWD I'd get the LE by now.
But my point for the wait and see crowd, they may spring for the higher price LE in a year if they were great. But if they stick to their guns and the LE becomes a flippers dream like TRON LE than that's fine by me, I can miss a few. But Stern is the one that is missing my money if in the meantime I elect to get The Hobbit or the next Lawler game or TBL or whatever. It's not like missing TWD would be any big blow to me. I am just saying if there were a premium or un-limited LE than it may be on the table in the future if there is not, that Stern may have lost a sale (and others may do the same, I don't want to say just my sale is going to be a big deal but what if it's another 500 people like me?)

They don't want to sell 500 Premiums. They want to sell thousands. If they can't, they'd rather sell Pros and other titles that are currently on the line.

Look, I'd prefer there to be a Premium, cuz if I get interested in the game later on, I want a full featured version…but if the demand is too low to make sense, I get why they don't want to do it.

#49 6 years ago

I'm personally not a fan at all of the whole LE / stripped down pro business model. It just doesn't seem fair that, even if the demand is huge, only a finite number of people can get the full featured game. I understand that the premium versions of many games don't sell very well, but Stern should at least always be open to the possibility of running a premium if the demand is there.

Quoted from Rarehero:

They don't want to sell 500 Premiums. They want to sell thousands. If they can't, they'd rather sell Pros and other titles that are currently on the line.

Look, I'd prefer there to be a Premium, cuz if I get interested in the game later on, I want a full featured version…but if the demand is too low to make sense, I get why they don't want to do it.

So why don't they just start building the premiums and pros to order? Makes perfect sense to me. This way, they will know exactly what the demand is instead of guessing. Everyone who wants a machine is happy, and Stern makes a ton of money. Win-win!

#50 6 years ago

I'm not super up on LE/premium debates as this is only my second nib stern (imve) and first LE (TWD) but isn't some of the higher cost of the LE the dev costs associated with the extras? In theory, the LE buyers are footing a larger portion of the costs upfront? If a premium is added after, the LE buyers basically funded the dev cost offset so the premium could be a tweener in price point. If premiums were part of the equation from jump, then the dev costs would be spread over a larger amount of games (premium and LE); so in theory the LE could be cheaper or have a shaker that was omitted. Am I seeing this wrong?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 139.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 65.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 12.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
There are 406 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 9.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside