(Topic ID: 84994)

20 Months Since Last Major ACDC Code Update. Will there be another?

By PanzerFreak

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 50 posts
  • 35 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by freddy
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1511016_10203299544600095_2375543170642609737_n[1].jpg
#1 10 years ago

Title updated to reflect months since last major update

Yesterday marked one year since code 1.65 was released for ACDC. There's been a lot of rumors about whether or not the game will get at least one more code update. I remember reading about a year ago that some people believed that the code would not be complete until 2.0? The code itself is very well done but like others I believe it needs to be expanded on.

What additions or changes would you make to the game? Here are some I have below.

1. Make the shot behind the bell more important: I believe currently the shot is only used during Hells Bell's to enter the lower playfield?

2. Reward for shooting behind the bell after song completion: After hitting the eight shots needed to change the song you could either go for some type of reward behind the bell or hit the jukebox shot. If you drain while attempting the reward shot during your next ball it is no longer lit (jukebox would be of course) and you have to hit the 8 shots over again to relight it. ACDC is a lot about risk reward and I feel this type of feature would add to that.

3. Multiball mode that involves upper and lower playfield: I know a lot of people have been asking for this one and it would be pretty cool if it could somehow be pulled off.

4. Allow target behind TNT drop targets to be hit during all songs: The TNT detonator toy is a cool little toy (made even cooler with a light mod) but it's only used during TNT. It would be nice if the target behind the TNT drops could be hit during any song which would then activate the detonator toy.

5. Expand the use / importance of the lower playfield: The lower playfield in ACDC Premium / LE is a very cool toy / feature but it would nice if its rules and importance were expanded on somehow.

With ACDC likely being one of Sterns all time best sellers I hope that we get at least one more update for it.

#2 10 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

5. Expand the use / importance of the lower playfield: The lower playfield in ACDC Premium / LE is a very cool toy / feature but it would nice if its rules and importance were expanded on somehow.

I really hope that they do *not* do this!

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I really hope that they do *not* do this!

I may have been trying to tie that to earning more points while in the lower playfield. I believe on some songs you can have a much higher cannon points reward depending on how well you do in the lower playfield?

Also a Hell Loop Champion high score would be pretty cool!

#4 10 years ago

Funny how all your requests are related to making the premium model differences important....

#5 10 years ago

At the Louisville show, the ACDC premium in the tournament was running 1.68. The only rule change I'm aware of is for Highway to Hell. Instead of the lower PF being lit immediately, you had to hit the right ramp, then all other notes to light it. So, I'd say there is definitely more coming, but no telling when.

#6 10 years ago

The game is perfect as is..........let it be!

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

Exactly. Also, I would rather have them concentrating on other codes that most definitely need updates.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

that's easy...don't update your machine if newer code does drop. the machine is great as is but why not greater?

3 weeks later
#9 10 years ago

1511016_10203299544600095_2375543170642609737_n[1].jpg1511016_10203299544600095_2375543170642609737_n[1].jpg

#10 10 years ago

Either model needs to having a roaming super jackpot shot from the cannon in either of the ACDC targets or the bell shot. What about the super lanes, super combos, super combos, super targets, cannon fodder, cannon volley and cannon chaos, can something be done with those to clarify the use and make it more meaningful? Don't change much but we do need finishing touches to make it complete. When?

#11 10 years ago

How about just some more songs?

#12 10 years ago

So Lyman told me (without making any promises other than adding band member modes on Metallica "soon") he has a 4.5 page list of what he wants to do for Metallica, a 3 page list for acdc, and a 1 page list for tron. He says that when he gets time, he works on the game with the longest list. While he didn't say so, it sounded like his stern allotted time on acdc was gone. So logic says it would get worked on if he has spare time to work on it and after Metallica todo list is under 3 page mark.

#13 10 years ago

I sure hope so, it's a classic and deserves a little more to it.

#14 10 years ago

My number 1 request would be to have the ball save timer paused while you're in the lower playfield, at the start of each ball.
I've noticed after many, many months of enjoying this game that rarely do I, or my friends, select a song that uses the lower playfield. Nice to look at, but it's just too risky when you start a game. Nothing worse than accumulating a healthy score under there, and then watching the ball go straight down the middle, exiting from the pops/bell alley.
-of course, this is really only beneficial for HUO Premium/LE owners.

I love the idea of roaming lit shots when you're firing the cannon! Fantastic idea. The cannon is fun, but making that even more fun would be awesome.

Upper and lower playfield going at the same time would be nuts. Another cool idea.

Regarding the TNT, while I would like to see it detonated more often, keep in mind that album multiball would be more difficult to reach if you had to hit the TNT target after completing the TNT bank. I don't need "more challenging".

Lastly, some sort of mini wizard mode after completing half the songs would be very cool.

Having said all that, if we never see new code, this is still my favourite pin ever. If every pin that Stern made was this good, I'd be divorced and near bankrupt, in a place of my own full of pins. (With a smile on my face!)

#15 10 years ago

How 'bout those devil horn inserts - what do they do?

#16 10 years ago

The bell activation via magnet still needs to be implemented. There is to be a mode somewhat like a golf putt shot to time right with the swinging bell to the saucer captive.

And yes both upper and lower pf's going at the same time was to be a mini wizard mode.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

So Lyman told me (without making any promises other than adding band member modes on Metallica "soon") he has a 4.5 page list of what he wants to do for Metallica, a 3 page list for acdc, and a 1 page list for tron. He says that when he gets time, he works on the game with the longest list. While he didn't say so, it sounded like his stern allotted time on acdc was gone. So logic says it would get worked on if he has spare time to work on it and after Metallica todo list is under 3 page mark.

So you're saying we need to come up with 2 pages of good ideas to bump AC/DC to the top.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

The bell activation via magnet still needs to be implemented. There is to be a mode somewhat like a golf putt shot to time right with the swinging bell to the saucer captive.

That would be pretty sweet.

#19 10 years ago

we're just talking about the future
forget about the past

#20 10 years ago

Would like to see the live mode implemented. A mini wizard mode of some sort for the people that cant make it to encore(me). I would love to see a strobe concert type mode like the way it goes off when you finish a game. Maybe add some more callouts or if possible animation to the dmd. More use of the vuk behind the bell and magnet. Probably wont happen but I would love to see the lights in the lower playfield used as animation for talking and eyes blinking of some sort. Maybe add some kind of mode where the devil aka Steve messes with your flippers or possess them in some sort of way. A couple of those just thinking out loud.

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Remember when Stern games had depth like LOTR & TSPP?

Shit FGY & SM?

I wish Stern would pay Lyman to implement those 8.5 pages!

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Remember when Stern games had depth like LOTR & TSPP?

Thank god ACDC is not like either of those 2 games.

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

This is great to hear. I hope it all pans out.

Did he specifically say modes for the band members? I had heard that it would be 1 mode.

#24 10 years ago

In my opinion, there is a lot to add/improve

-cannon modes
-lit song jackpot targets more randomly (as in Dirty Harry)
-more scoring if a song is completed. (And here more different ways to do this)
-devil horns
-live mode
- extra songs in "encore" mode.

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

And yes both upper and lower pf's going at the same time was to be a mini wizard mode.

Awesome ideas! If both of those ideas are implemented into the game I think it would give it much more of a complete feel. Hopefully at least one of the ideas are on Lymans list.

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from vex:

that's easy...don't update your machine if newer code does drop. the machine is great as is but why not greater?

Best post in the thread.
I have every code they have released for this game. But will I ever go backwards?, probably not.
Let Lyman work his magic. I would never tell him to stop, it's good enough.

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Thank god ACDC is not like either of those 2 games.

I'm referring to complete feature rich software not so much the shots or modes.

Maybe SM & FGY are better comparisons?

I dig ACDC & will buy a Luci someday in all likelihood. I'd go NIB Luci if they polish code, otherwise a HUO Premium will suffice someday.

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

My number 1 request would be to have the ball save timer paused while you're in the lower playfield, at the start of each ball.
I've noticed after many, many months of enjoying this game that rarely do I, or my friends, select a song that uses the lower playfield. Nice to look at, but it's just too risky when you start a game. Nothing worse than accumulating a healthy score under there, and then watching the ball go straight down the middle, exiting from the pops/bell alley.
-of course, this is really only beneficial for HUO Premium/LE owners.

^^^^^^^ THIS^^^^^^^

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

I dig ACDC & will buy a Luci someday in all likelihood. I'd go NIB Luci if they polish code, otherwise a HUO Premium will suffice someday.

ACDC is great as it is and will get a lil more polish. Games don't need a rule sheet 8 pages long to be fun.

#30 10 years ago

Would love the addition of a mini wizard mode and the bell lock to have more relevance. I think AC/DC could be made even better with a few additions.

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

ACDC is great as it is and will get a lil more polish. Games don't need a rule sheet 8 pages ling to be fun.

I'm not talking 8 pages... I'm talking inserts, flashers, some cool bell & lower PF action.

Not saying add Valinor

#32 10 years ago

More is better, why not? But I wouldn't care if they didn't add anything else

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

That's a great point to bring up. With the cost of NIB games ranging from about $5k-$8k I think that a game in that price range should be supported with a deep ruleset as otherwise what are we paying for? Thankfully ACDC already has a fairly deep ruleset but there's some other games I wouldn't even consider buying in the price range above (even though they are fun) as the rules are not deep enough.

With a lot of new pins going in homes I think a deep ruleset is more important than ever to keep players coming back for more. Even though I never reached Valinor while owning LOTR the game itself offered a deep set of rules to keep me coming back again and again as I knew I still had something to "unlock" (be it Valinor or There and Back Again) in the game. LOTR's rules are also deep enough where just about every game can play out differently because there's so much to do. I sold my LOTR to fund WOZ (wish I had both) but only did so as I knew it would eventually have a ruleset with the level of depth as LOTR.

6 months later
#34 9 years ago

Did anyone hear anything out of Expo about another code update for ACDC?

I would think there has to be at least one more update for the game in the works. It's now been over a year and half since a larger (1.68 was very very minor) update for the game was released. I remember emailing Lyman after 1.65 about another update and he replied back saying that there are some more things he wants to add. I hope that is still the case.

Doesn't the game still need its promised canon modes?

#35 9 years ago

....that last little bit of polish would be nice. Devil horn inserts? Cannon modes?

#36 9 years ago

I know it's been covered a lot, but here's my little wishlist:

- Make multiball start cannon shots worth a lot more points, so there's a point to going for it instead of shooting the bell.

- Give song intro animations more priority so they don't get clobbered by pop animations

- Longer timer settings for song select. Up to 20 seconds instead of 9 second maximum. Maybe option for no timer?

- Fix auto plunge so it does not launch ball when coin door is closed again.

- Add a sound/lighting effect for super lane (inlane) rollover.

- More use of RGB GI effects during play (not just song select). When I first saw ACDC I thought the different GI color song selections would stay that way for the song. But they don't..

- More use of bell magnet. Some use for the bell saucer....

Rob

#37 9 years ago

I think they are done with it. Its been quite a while and I think Stern have moved on.

#38 9 years ago

An additional code update to re-balance the Hell's Bell's strategy was discussed in the PAPATV broadcast from the Chicago Expo. I don't remember the exact details, but I believe it was Bowen Kerins commenting on a conversation he'd had with Lyman Sheets.

#39 9 years ago

The last time I talked with Steve he told me yes, they wanted to do more with the code, but that other game had precedence.

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

- Longer timer settings for song select. Up to 20 seconds instead of 9 second maximum. Maybe option for no timer?

I think this is adjustable in the settings menu if I remember correctly.

#41 9 years ago
Quoted from Kcpinballfan:

I think they are done with it. Its been quite a while and I think Stern have moved on.

It is not considered finished. Whether an update ever comes is debatable, but the intention is there.

#42 9 years ago
Quoted from skywelker:

I think this is adjustable in the settings menu if I remember correctly.

Yes it is, and 9 seconds is the longest.

Rob

#43 9 years ago

Few more simple requests...

Slow down instant info page flip or stop it from flipping unless a player flips it with the flipper. Too many times some of the screens flip before I'm done looking at them - the jackpot screens especially.

Add something like a callout or sound for the pop bumper bonus (at 8). I ALWAYS miss that I got it. I think it's just points, maybe 80,000? Not much of a bonus really for 8 levels of pop bumpers.

Add settings for sling and jukebox kickout power. The ball bounces back into the jukebox a lot on my game. Sometimes 5 or 6 times which is annoying...

Plus I have a question: Why on some songs does a note light randomly(?) come back on solid instead of blinking? I suppose maybe blinking means it is needed to complete the song and solid means it scores points, but has already been made before. I'm not sure if there is a pattern to which ones come back on?

Rob

#44 9 years ago

I figure that any game as long as it's being sold could be up for code updates.

#45 9 years ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

I figure that any game as long as it's being sold could be up for code updates.

Has anyone ever asked Steve or Lyman directly about the cannon inserts and why they were not used, or if there is/was ever any intention to use them? There is a text string in the rom that says 'cannon multiball' so maybe at one time these were intended to be something, but it just never got done.. Perhaps they felt it just wasn't important to the game as the rules were fleshed out?

Rob

#46 9 years ago

Cannon multiball would make sense as an update, would really add another dimension to the current gameplay.

#47 9 years ago
Quoted from Law:

An additional code update to re-balance the Hell's Bell's strategy was discussed in the PAPATV broadcast from the Chicago Expo. I don't remember the exact details, but I believe it was Bowen Kerins commenting on a conversation he'd had with Lyman Sheets.

I suspect we'll see some of quick fix for this problem, as HB is really unbalanced. Even though I own one, I never knew it was so imbalanced until Expo.

Since expo, in the 10 games I've played, all but 1 has been near or over 300m and one was 590m with a 279m song jp. The goal is to hit a billion now

#48 9 years ago

Thumbs down me... But as a Walking Dead LE buyer, I hope he codes my pin 'til his eyes bleed!

1 year later
#49 8 years ago

Just wanted to say that there are some excellent suggestions for updates here. Having got a number of hours on the Luci I picked up recently, many of these ideas (and definitely cannon modes if they were promised) would improve an already great game even further - a real classic.

Here's hoping Lyman finds the time or that Stern give it to him after TWD & Met get finished off (seem to recall on a stream not too long ago he said both were close but not done yet). I can see why AC/DC might have been put on the backburner given that I played a 6-7 updates behind current TWD LE a couple of months ago. It bore absolutely no resemblance to video of the game I've seen in its current state - to put it bluntly it was horrific. With that winding down .. fingers crossed.

#50 8 years ago

Make LUCI sing!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

12,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
16,500 (Firm)
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.95
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

5,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Chittenango, NY
$ 29.95
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Chester, PA
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

$ 29.95

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/one-year-since-last-acdc-code-update-will-there-be-another and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.