2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by metalguy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3118 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3117 (resized).jpg
    #1 2 years ago

I found one wire in my williams ski club that is burned to a crisp. It goes to the first rollover light socket in the sequence. It is in the middle of the under pf wire bundle. I started to open it up to see if I can find the color code but only got in 5" or so ( dont have schematics yet). None of the other wires around it seem affected. As I'm cleaning I also see the rollover advance unit stepper has crispy wires as well which makes sense.

But I didn't find any burnt wires on the bottom panel or jones plugs

So the question is what would cause this, over fused and a short combination in that circuit.

And do I need to run all new wire and tie it to outside of wire bundle and then run new wire around the stepper disk? I assume I shouldnt try to leave it as is

Also this is my first mid 60's williams. Is there a trick to removing the stepper disks? They dont pop off like the 70s models. I thought it was the set screw on back cog but still wont budge.
    Thanks

IMG_3117 (resized).jpgIMG_3117 (resized).jpgIMG_3118 (resized).jpgIMG_3118 (resized).jpg
    #2 2 years ago

On the Pinball Database there is a schematic of the "Replay" version that might assist you before you get your schematic.

The replay version of this game is Williams' 1965 'Alpine Club'.
    https://www.ipdb.org/files/63/Williams_1965_Alpine_Club_Schematic_Diagram_continuous.pdf

#3 2 years ago
    Quoted from metalguy:

I found one wire in my williams ski club that is burned to a crisp. It goes to the first rollover light socket in the sequence. It is in the middle of the under pf wire bundle. I started to open it up to see if I can find the color code but only got in 5" or so ( dont have schematics yet). None of the other wires around it seem affected. As I'm cleaning I also see the rollover advance unit stepper has crispy wires as well which makes sense.
    But I didn't find any burnt wires on the bottom panel or jones plugs
    So the question is what would cause this, over fused and a short combination in that circuit.
    And do I need to run all new wire and tie it to outside of wire bundle and then run new wire around the stepper disk? I assume I shouldnt try to leave it as is
    Also this is my first mid 60's williams. Is there a trick to removing the stepper disks? They dont pop off like the 70s models. I thought it was the set screw on back cog but still wont budge.
    Thanks
    [quoted image][quoted image]

May be the angle, looking a your top photo, check the soldered tab on the light socket. It looks to be bent towards the socket housing which may have touched and shorted in the past. Bend it out so it is same as light socket beside it. I would cut the damaged wire near the loom, and join a new piece of wire of the same gauge and resolder. At the stepper unit, unsolder the wire, slide over some heat shrink and resolder.

#4 2 years ago
    Quoted from smohr:

On the Pinball Database there is a schematic of the "Replay" version that might assist you before you get your schematic.
    The replay version of this game is Williams' 1965 'Alpine Club'.
    https://www.ipdb.org/files/63/Williams_1965_Alpine_Club_Schematic_Diagram_continuous.pdf

Thanks I already checked alpine on ipdb wire colors are different in a few spots so I don’t think it’s going to help

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/one-wire-burned-up-feature-light-60s-williams and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.