Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 39 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Billy16
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Purpledrilmonkey.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Apologies if this is buried somewhere in the endless threads on this subject, but I don't recall it being on the list.
The callouts for the TRON bank awards (super pops, super spinners and double scoring) are absent on the pro. I do like that "double scoring is active on the grid" callout, and the others.

I noticed this last year and sent a note to Stern about it in fall of last year. The response was that they weren't aware of it but would try to find the issue and test it out in a new build of code. The callouts are cool for the record.

There is another bug that I mentioned as well (might be common knowledge but I haven't read it here) that they were already aware of and needed to alter and bug test the code revision: If super pops is running, a left orbit shot all the way around will trigger the up-post and award right orbit awards (ie - CLU and lightcycle if lit) as soon as the Zeus spinner is triggered. This is not working as intended.

1 week later
#13 8 years ago
Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

Can we all agree to bombard them too?

I would prefer not to. Neither problem is game breaking imo and being that the last update Lyman pushed out was totally a favor to fans, I have no grudge to hold against Stern for Tron code.

Quoted from lyzanxia:

It is common knowledge , but according to Purpledrillmonkey they acknowledged they were not aware of it and would fix it.

For the record they (and therefore I) never said they would fix it. There was talk of working on the left orbit glitch in a test build of code one weekend, and I was asked to elaborate on the LE callouts that aren't being used on the Pro so they could be looked into at the same time. Nothing more.

As an aside, the biggest TRON glitch/feature that has generated some heat now and again is the double scoring on the end-of-ball bonus. Most people don't realize it, but if you drain with double scoring active, your end of ball bonus is doubled, and it's AFTER the Gem multipliers are applied. There is no announcement or callout for this, and some folks believe this is 100% a bug. It can result in massive unplanned scoring if you have some good game progress and a bunch of GEM shots racked up.

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Better have balls of better-than-steel to count on that to save your tournament wins LOL

Ha no kidding! I wondered if you'd pop in on my mentioning that... was pretty sure you and I went around this issue before

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I don't see a problem here. I wouldn't call it a bug either. Who is going to intentionally drain the ball in order to capitalize on a huge bonus?? If that's your play strategy then good luck.

I personally don't call it a bug, but some felt it was/is due to the unannounced 'stealth' nature of the doubling, the fact it effective doubles your bonus multipliers, and the fact its basically unheard of to have playfield double scoring apply to a bonus in any modern machine. I have doubled bonuses of over 30+ million in private play; Adding that to even a decent TRON score is certainly non-trivial.

This is obviously rare in practice, and I don't think anyone will drain intentionally but therein lies the oddity in my eye... it's a potentially huge payout on a relatively tame-scoring machine that no one will (should?) intentionally go for - so why does it need to exist? With TRON as a game where there are very few huge payouts (unlike MET or ACDC) it is a bit weird to see the potential for a 10-30 million point windfall for accidentally draining at the right time.

Quoted from Frax:

Probably, sounds familiar. I never did try to actually test it but I'll take your word for it at this point. I'm going to smash some glass in the first time I lose a game to that, though.

I 100% guarantee it's legit in current code but you really have to pay attention (and do math) to catch it. I too wouldn't be overly impressed losing to it.

EDIT: Found our old rodeo
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-rules-questions#post-1964117

Thus we can end this bonus tangent I shouldn't have started here and get back to the LE/Pro soundclip issue

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Don't take away my right orbit cheat! That's a tough shot for me, so I base my strategy on whether super pops are running (or ready to start).
I also don't mind the double bonus "bug." It might be unintended, but it hasn't hampered my enjoyment of the game once in four years. It's nice that not every game handles bonus the same way.

Agreed on all fronts lol, but the orbit thing is 100% unintended sadly.

Not to say I don't leverage it...

2 weeks later
#33 8 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

If I'm the last player and know my current bonus is 3 million points (by looking at it in game play), double scoring is ready/active and I only need less than double that amount to win you can bet your butt that I'm going to shoot to activate double scoring and then let the ball drain.
Not doing so and then draining after double scoring ends and then losing would fall into the stupid loss category for me. I consider that type of situational playing smart playing strategy. You'd never drain on purpose though if you weren't the last player in that situation but that situation does come up.

Your situation is common in tournament play, but I would counter with: why would you drain to collect the points when you have 20+ seconds of double scoring, and an indefinite amount of ball time to acquire the points easily enough? Even if you don't cover the full 6 mil spread during double scoring, you should easily cover 3 mil, which means if you drain outside of 2x scoring, you're still good. Until your bonus is unreal high (uncommon in a tournament TRON imo) the drain-to-win idea is a poor choice when you have control of the ball.

There are many times in tournament play when you have bonus to cover a winning spread, but I would personally NEVER count on the drain to award them - could be a malfunction on older games (which often have double bonus options that you should be aware of, but not count on), or some unplanned rule or over sensitive tilt mechanism that prevents you from collecting the bonus.

Its almost universally a better to play as long as possible, and use the bonus (or in the case of TRON the bonus + 2X scoring time) to breathe easy and play relaxed, and push your score higher with your own play.

Just my opinion.

#35 8 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

one word - tilt
(under the game malfunction analogy) - In those 20 seconds you have just as much chance (probably more) that a game malfunction could award a sensitive tilt just as easily as it skipping your bonus. If your bonus is high enough to cover a win, then just take the win. How many times have you seen a situation where someones bonus would cover a win and they got into the game and tilted out (I've done it more than once myself)? I've seen it dozens of times thus why I say my strategy would be to just take the win and move on.

Yeah but drain =/= tilt. I would argue that if you can't discipline yourself on not tilting a potential win you should practice it (I know I for one needed to learn it). As far as the malfunction analogy, the issue is if you have a bonus malfunction its very hard to prove it or compensate it without footage, concrete witnesses, or some other proof, and even then some tourneys might consider it a minor malfunction and play on. Conversely a machine that is tilt malfunctioning without you inducing it it will be easy to troubleshoot and prove, so as long as YOU don't tilt, theres nothing to really worry about - I've played some seriously tilt sensitive machines and with practice and discipline I can honestly say I've never felt cheated by a tilt that happened when I did "nothing".

For me, knowing your bonus is enough for the win means you don't go for any saves (not even a nudge - let the ball go where it may) not that you take your hands off the flippers and walk away. By draining to collect bonus you are trusting the code and the machine and your complete knowledge of both; I now trust my ability to not tilt more than a strange machine. It's personal preference at the end of the day, but I use the bonus as a buffer or a backup, not as the win-button - I always try to play to the win, and if I drain I pull my hands off the machine to avoid a tilt and hope all is awarded properly.

Tron is still an anomaly in this with the 20 second double scoring thing as you are actually surrendering points by playing on. I cant say I would 100% NOT consider draining to collect it... That is kinda why some people feel it's a glitch.

#38 8 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

We'll have to agree to disagree on the strategy of what to do in this situation but at the same time I think we've both proven why this can/should be looked at more as a risk vs reward strategy vs a bug (although it may tech be a bug). You have to chose at what point you feel you gain the most points/competitive advantage on cashing in on double bonus or playing on. If you have a good ball going on and that bonus is approaching 10 million it's a real risk in not taking it. Unless it's for the win I would rather have a ball in play though.
Just one more thing to think about in an already great game.

Agreed

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

Trade
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Huntington Beach, CA
$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Purpledrilmonkey.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/one-tron-prole-difference-i-have-not-seen-mentioned?tu=Purpledrilmonkey and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.