Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Travish
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

13250897-7FFA-44EC-880D-E4196C282EED (resized).jpeg
    #1 5 years ago

My rescue dog Lucy got hit by a car today. We were outside and there was a dog across the street, 4 lane divided rode with speeds up to 60-70 mph, and she decided she didnt like it. When she started toward it I knew what was going to happen. She ran out into the street and a car hit her at about 50mph and knocked her 25 yards down the rd. I tried to pick her up and she bit me. Just then my 92 year old grand father drove up in a suburban that I had just bought that he wanted to test drive and I threw her in the back and he took her to the vet. We both figured it would be for nothing but to end her life and the pain. The dog was pissy that she was at the vet but otherwise the vet said she saw nothing wrong with her and but would keep her overnight to make sure. Fucking dog.

#2 5 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

the vet said she saw nothing wrong with her and but would keep her overnight to make sure.

Glad for Lucy's sake.

LTG : )

#3 5 years ago

Wow.

I had a ten year old dog once when I was a kid that got hit by a log truck. Crushed the whole left side of his body and knocked his eye out. He survived in a bush by the side of the road for several hours until my dad noticed that he was missing. We took him to the vet to put him down but the vet said, "I think I can save him." My dad said he probably didn't have enough money to pay for something like that so the vet told my dad he'd do it anyway, don't worry about paying him. The eye was not salvageable and the dog required a LOT of care over the next year but he survived... and lived another 11 years! The dog and I were the same age. I had to put him down on my 21st birthday. Some dogs are tough mofos.

#4 5 years ago

Holy cow. God bless Lucy! What an amazing day. I'm really happy for you and your dog. That truly sounds like a miracle. I'm not crazy religious but it makes you wonder if somebody is watching over Lucy.

#5 5 years ago

Props on having rescue dog. Glad it’s OK. You are responsible for the dog’s safety though. Unless you have a one of a kind dog, assume the worst and leash it next to a highway especially!

#6 5 years ago

LOL

Man I love dogs but sometimes they are just too goddamn stupid for their own good.

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

LOL
    Man I love dogs but sometimes they are just too goddamn stupid for their own good.

She is not the sharpest knife in the drawer, true.

#8 5 years ago

I once was behind a pickup that was driving like an ass in a residential area. He was going around a corner way too fast and there was this beautiful golden retriever that just ran out in the road. The guy tagged the back half of the animal so hard and didn't even stop. A kid about 12 runs over to the dog and the poor thing is crawling with its hind legs smashed. I've never seen something so sad.

#9 5 years ago

Upvote for Lucy being OK.

I see a fair number of HBC (hit by car) dogs in my practice and like Lucy I am always surprised by how tough they are. Most walk out of the hospital with some go home meds for comfort and sometimes an antibiotic if there is enough road rash.

Hoping Lucy is home soon. Wish I could say she would learn from her experience but more often than not the instincts kick in and a dog will revert back to their old habits. I hope I am wrong in your case!

#10 5 years ago

Go play the lottery, this is your luckiest day ever. Glad to hear Lucy wasn't hurt.

#11 5 years ago

Glad the dog was ok. I was afraid to open this thread at first. Got me an 11 yr old rescue as well. Seems rescue dogs are the most loyal.

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

My rescue dog Lucy got hit by a car today. We were outside and there was a dog across the street, 4 lane divided rode with speeds up to 60-70 mph, and she decided she didnt like it. When she started toward it I knew what was going to happen. She ran out into the street and a car hit her at about 50mph and knocked her 25 yards down the rd. I tried to pick her up and she bit me. Just then my 92 year old grand father drove up in a suburban that I had just bought that he wanted to test drive and I threw her in the back and he took her to the vet. We both figured it would be for nothing but to end her life and the pain. The dog was pissy that she was at the vet but otherwise the vet said she saw nothing wrong with her and but would keep her overnight to make sure. Fucking dog.

WHAT. That dog is immortal

#13 5 years ago

Lucy needs a name upgrade to lucky

I’m glad she’s ok

#14 5 years ago

Great to hear Lucy will be ok. Our rescue Lucy dog is deaf in one ear and run straight toward every car she sees. There are humans in the cars that want to pet her and pass around some dog treats.

#15 5 years ago

She is home now. Her left side is one Giant red bruise but she is ok.

#16 5 years ago

Glad to hear Tex.

#17 5 years ago

Wow! You don't hear those kind of stories ending well. Impressive!

#18 5 years ago

I can’t tell you how hard this dog was hit. The car was going 60 at least and I ran out ion the street screaming for it or the dog to stop. The woman slammed on the brakes causing the cars nose to dive which caused the nose of the car to hit the dog instead of the car actually running over the her. The car hit her broadside and knocked her at least 30 feet down the street and up on the sidewalk. I went to pick her up and she just screamed. I figured I would have to finish her off myself to put her out of her misery but my grandfather drove up and I put her in the car and asked him to take her to the vet. The vet called me 4 hours later and said she was going to hurt for a while but she was fine. She is a tough mutt.

#19 5 years ago
    13250897-7FFA-44EC-880D-E4196C282EED (resized).jpeg13250897-7FFA-44EC-880D-E4196C282EED (resized).jpeg
    #20 5 years ago

buy a leash or leader, much cheaper than vet bills. glad your pup is ok

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

buy a leash or leader, much cheaper than vet bills. glad your pup is ok

You would be correct except except... She came off the street and I just let her stay because of her horrible condition, I figured she would die and I offered her the dignity of dying in a place of piece and quiet instead of the streets. When she didn’t die I fed her and cared for her but I didn’t consider her anything more than a stray dog so I let her come and go as she pleased. She grew on me but still stayed at my work when I left but when she got hurt the first time she wasn’t able to stay by herself so she lives with my grandfather at night and I pick her up every morning and take her home every night. I have. Corvette and a very nice motorcycle that I neve drive to work because of that dog. Anyway the leash thing is impossible as she goes in and out with me as I take care of business. The only thing I could do is not take her to work which would make her very unhappy and it is really her firs home. Hey f I could find her a family with a backyard and a little boy I would let her go but she is a scarred up stinky dog and no one but me who loves her because of time spent and our experiences.

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

Anyway the leash thing is impossible as she goes in and out with me as I take care of business.

I used to pee off the porch too but I lived in the woods not next to a 4 lane highway.

Btw: she looks pissed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/one-tough-dog?hl=atari_daze and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.